Tire temperature and Damping Rates

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Roni

Tire temperature and Damping Rates

I recently had to figure out how damping rates influence tire temperature and as i found out, that this was a huge research topic on its own.
Normally my basic approach is to find the optimal tire temperature and make sure that the camber is correct enough to ensure even distribution of heat throughout the carcass. The next thing to do would be to make a couple of runs which ensure that the temperature is reached before heading for a good track testing run.
However, there are a huge number of theoretical data showing that damping actually affects the tire hysteresis and recovery time. I have done no practical testing till now to show any difference in tire temp, but i would like to know the science behind it.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
-Jeremy Clarkson

godlameroso

Re: Tire temperature and Damping Rates

That's actually very interesting, I was actually thinking about this yesterday.
Saishū kōnā

gixxer_drew
gixxer_drew

Roni wrote:I recently had to figure out how damping rates influence tire temperature and as i found out, that this was a huge research topic on its own.
Normally my basic approach is to find the optimal tire temperature and make sure that the camber is correct enough to ensure even distribution of heat throughout the carcass. The next thing to do would be to make a couple of runs which ensure that the temperature is reached before heading for a good track testing run.
However, there are a huge number of theoretical data showing that damping actually affects the tire hysteresis and recovery time. I have done no practical testing till now to show any difference in tire temp, but i would like to know the science behind it.

I am curious, why did you want an even distribution? Or maybe I also mean how would you achieve that? Also what kind of measurement mechanism?

Roni

I am curious, why did you want an even distribution? Or maybe I also mean how would you achieve that? Also what kind of measurement mechanism?[/quote]

Even distribution of tire temperature here refers to same temperature through out the tire carcass (inner side of the tire as well as the outer side). Excessive temp shows high wearout in rubber; uneven temp means that the inner or outer is more wornout than the rest, which ultimately might lessen the mechanical grip.
I use a tire temperature measuring probe for seeing the tire heat levels immediately after a run. Taking a reading on four or five segments: extreme outer (pretty close to the sidewall), outer, middle/center section, inner, extreme inner (pretty close to the inner sidewall again). Due to some amount of camber involved in a track with a couple of straights, its quite normal for the extreme inner readings to be higher by 10-15 degrees. Otherwise, the optimum readings involve same tire heat in all five segments.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
-Jeremy Clarkson