2017 tyres vs pit stop times

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Jackuar

2017 tyres vs pit stop times

Hi everyone, long time lurker here.

Did a search here before posting this and could find only a couple of replies on this question. Apologies if spoken in detail elsewhere already.

How are the pit stops going to be this year with the heavier tires and how does it affect the overall strategy.

Any special training to the mechanics to handle the heavier tires?

Is there a possibility of a spoiled pit stop because of difficulty in handling the tires? How much heavier would they be firstly?

What is the time we could look at possibly? 5 seconds on average?
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....

godlameroso

Re: 2017 tyres vs pit stop times

I don't think it will change much, 2-4 seconds per stop, more if they make a serious mistake.
Saishū kōnā

DiogoBrand

It seems that the strategies will be much more affected by the increased durability of the tyres than by the tyres making pit stops slower. If you consider that the tyres are only 25% wider, assuming it's around a 25% increase in weight, I doubt it will make too much difference in pit stops.

tomazy
tomazy

I think there was a Williams video of the pit stop guys training and they said that the pit stops will be as quick as last year, they hope for even quicker times. here is a Mercedes stop in testing.