Future F1 tech

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Future F1 tech

Lets get a list going of new stuff that we think will make its way into F1.

I'll start with one, and edit this post as I find more.

Two-photon polymerisation;micromachining
http://www.aerotech.com/pressbox/pdf/TwoPhotonPoly.pdf

There goes the tolerance barrier!

tomislavp4

Re: Future F1 tech

Holly sh#¤!!! That´s amazing... =D>

Conceptual
Conceptual

tomislavp4 wrote:Holly sh#¤!!! That´s amazing... =D>
I just want to see if they can make continuous mono-filament threads, and weave them like carbon fibre, and crash test it!

freedom_honda

Hydrogen Fuel Cell will replace Internal Combustion Engine i reckon.

Conceptual
Conceptual

freedom_honda wrote:Hydrogen Fuel Cell will replace Internal Combustion Engine i reckon.
Or maybe the Mercury/Iron powersource from ancient India... lol

THAT would be great!

timbo
timbo

Conceptual wrote:
tomislavp4 wrote:Holly sh#¤!!! That´s amazing... =D>
I just want to see if they can make continuous mono-filament threads, and weave them like carbon fibre, and crash test it!
Actually there's a great area of new materials developing right now - nanotubes, graphene, OLEDs. I'm expecting new revolution (similar to a polymer revolution in 60s) in next 5-10 years.

myurr
myurr

Graphene definitely looks like a promising one for the future, although it's still a few years out from the sounds of it. Nanotubes likewise.

Once we get the hang of these on an industrial scale it truly will be the next revolution.

flynfrog

you are all forgetting these will be banned in the name of cost savings.

roost89
roost89

Conceptual wrote:Lets get a list going of new stuff that we think will make its way into F1.

I can see that being used to direct air along the surface. Similar to the scales on a sharks skin. I do believe it was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5998
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Conceptual
Conceptual

roost89 wrote:
Conceptual wrote:Lets get a list going of new stuff that we think will make its way into F1.

I can see that being used to direct air along the surface. Similar to the scales on a sharks skin. I do believe it was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5998
I understand that there is alot of info out there, and even some in various posts on this very board.

The purpose of this post is to have people post links to the specific information about bleeding edge technologies that will eventually make it into F1. I will copy all links into the original post with credit given to its poster, and we will see how many get there.

The point would to be a literal jackpot for the F1 teams to keep an eye on so they can thus use the community to aid them in continuing their competitive innovations.

I only ask for contributions that agree with doing this type of thread. There is no prize money to the person that finds the most!

Thanks for the contributions so far, but please post URL links to whitepapers, pdfs, or articles that can be put into the first post for easy reference.

Thanks!

pgj
pgj

Sorry that I am late in catching this thread, but what a great post. Thank you =D>

We always associate areo surfaces with being smooth. I wonder if there is any likelihood that some of those micro structures could be put onto to aero surface to break surface tension.
Williams and proud of it.

Conceptual
Conceptual

I'm sure it could be, and then immediately banned.

Does anyone have direct links to info on Graphene, nano-tubes, and any other similar technologies?

I would like to get a good thread talking about this future tech!

G-Rock
G-Rock

I don't know if this is the best place to discuss the "standardized engine" but here are my thoughts on it anyway.

Could it be that FIA sees the writing on the wall for the internal combustion engine and is taking a leadership role in moving away from it?
My first reaction to the standardized engine was similar to that of Ferrari. "F##$ F1! I've been a fan since 1982 but I'm seriously going to move on to something else if that happens!!"
After reading what they are proposing, its seems to me that the FIA sees the internal combustion engine as secondary and insignificant a tire. The real focus will be on KERS. Maybe standardizing the engines (like tires) will free up the engineers to concentrate on other things like KERS (which I interpret to be fairly free when it comes to regulation)
The engine will merely become a device to produce a baseload of power and the KERS will be the icing on the cake technology for us to get excited over.
I doubt I'll be salivating over electical capacitors and other such gadgets anytime soon vs a nice revving V8 but who thought we would get excited over transmissions 20 years ago?
That being said, Ferrari's soul lies in its beautifully sounding V8's V 12 etc and I doubt they are willing to change that for a very long time.
--------------------------------------------------------

flynfrog wrote:you are all forgetting these will be banned in the name of cost savings.
This might be in with a shout; carrot fibre composites. Lower cost, renewable, lighter than CF (though less stiff), more impact strength and better dampening.

http://www.cellucomp.com/products.html

already proposed for cycle frames?
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 84514.html