Open Aero Developement for '99 Benetton

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
theDr
theDr

Re: Open Aero Developement for '99 Benetton

Hey people heres a rear wing design I did for Scott

benjabulle
benjabulle

Ascari team running a B197 in Euroboss improved it with a complete B194 ( or B193 ?) diffuser. Here's a photo of the thing, of course downforce was much bigger than with the restricted rules introduced after 94 dramas.

megz

Would the empty exhaust outlets in an older diffuser cause trouble with airflow though?

timbo
timbo

megz wrote:Would the empty exhaust outlets in an older diffuser cause trouble with airflow though?
I think it's pretty easy to seal.
I think that particular diffuser is better be complimented with the rear wing from the same car model.

wesley123
wesley123

maybe you can make the exhaust come out on the top of the sidepods? This creates a more constant and cleaner airflow in the diffuser. Or maybe you can let the exhaust come out of the side so it adds flow over the diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Conceptual
Conceptual

timbo wrote:
megz wrote:Would the empty exhaust outlets in an older diffuser cause trouble with airflow though?
I think it's pretty easy to seal.
I think that particular diffuser is better be complimented with the rear wing from the same car model.
I agree that this would be a big deal with anything 2005-present, but I doubt the Diffusor/Rear Wing coupling was an engineered factor in 1993. I believe that stuff came with the CFD processing power of the 21st Century.

It is also possible that I am wrong, but I think Symonds alluded that it was a recent development.

Conceptual
Conceptual

wesley123 wrote:maybe you can make the exhaust come out on the top of the sidepods? This creates a more constant and cleaner airflow in the diffuser. Or maybe you can let the exhaust come out of the side so it adds flow over the diffuser.
I believe that exhaust exiting through the Diffusor is only safe when running a CVT that keeps the RPM of the engine constant. Otherwise, a light lift in a high G corner could end in a barrel roll...

megz

Conceptual wrote:I believe that exhaust exiting through the Diffusor is only safe when running a CVT that keeps the RPM of the engine constant. Otherwise, a light lift in a high G corner could end in shits and giggles.
I fixed a little for you Conceptual :)

wesley123
wesley123

Conceptual wrote:
wesley123 wrote:maybe you can make the exhaust come out on the top of the sidepods? This creates a more constant and cleaner airflow in the diffuser. Or maybe you can let the exhaust come out of the side so it adds flow over the diffuser.
I believe that exhaust exiting through the Diffusor is only safe when running a CVT that keeps the RPM of the engine constant. Otherwise, a light lift in a high G corner could end in a barrel roll...
well, i read that the mclarens of 2000 still blowed the exhaust into the diffuser, but when the driver lifted the gas the exhaust stopped blowing and there was a significant downforce loss making the car handle unexpected.

Conceptual
Conceptual

wesley123 wrote:
Conceptual wrote:
well, i read that the mclarens of 2000 still blowed the exhaust into the diffuser, but when the driver lifted the gas the exhaust stopped blowing and there was a significant downforce loss making the car handle unexpected.
Exactly my point.

And Megz, what was there to fix? We don't want to see it happen, so why refuse to acknowledge what would really happen instead of making it a joke?

Belatti
Belatti

I dont wanna be the grandma of the forum (I´m pretty wild myself to be it :lol: ) but too much aero freedom doesnt seen safe to me!

Can anyone give me some info about how those Euroboss competition is done?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

wesley123
wesley123

Tomba posted the link to the series on the first page i thought.

megz

Didn't mean to offend conceptual, I'm a lighthearted kind of guy. I know these sorts of things are very serious having seen the 2000 Le Mans crashes and various other severe crashes and fatalities throughout motorsport. Thankfully largely in my time there have been few of these incidents as everything has become more safe.

I perhaps shouldn't have cheapened you're comment.