Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
BorisTheBlade

Re: Rule Interpretation - Double deck diffusers

Maybe that's just a dumb suggestion:
But couldn't they measure that somehow with sensors at the suspension. If you know how stiff it is it shouldn't be that hard to calculate - or am I totally wrong?

xpensive
xpensive

Not at all, strain-gauges or piezoelctric-something could possibly do it on-line?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

vall
vall

xpensive wrote:Interesting proposal that WB, 12500 N, at what speed and ground-clearance?
And how exactly would you police that, testing each car in a windtunnel?
I had the same thought: how the hell you make sure that they don't have > 1.25 at EACH race?

WhiteBlue

I could imagine force transducers or ride height as the principle means of measuring aero downforce. There could be a certain tolerance which would draw a penalty. For severe violations a black flag should be executed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: 2009 Difusser Rule Interpretation

Last edited by Conceptual on 07 Apr 2009, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.

nudger
nudger

xpensive wrote:As head of FOTAs Technical arm, surely he has proper documentation such as minutes of meeting, to verify this? :lol:

i wouldnt suggest for a moment that brawn was fibbing...but we have no idea what his proposal to simplify the regulations were. im sure there were a lot of proposals that were dismissed....maybe he objected to others ideas that would likewise have prevented the current situation. he dosnt say which teams objected either...maybe it was only williams and toyota....who knows.
thats why its best for it to be decided in the fia court

vall
vall

nudger wrote:
xpensive wrote:As head of FOTAs Technical arm, surely he has proper documentation such as minutes of meeting, to verify this? :lol:

i wouldnt suggest for a moment that brawn was fibbing...but we have no idea what his proposal to simplify the regulations were. im sure there were a lot of proposals that were dismissed....maybe he objected to others ideas that would likewise have prevented the current situation. he dosnt say which teams objected either...maybe it was only williams and toyota....who knows.
thats why its best for it to be decided in the fia court
I agree with that. It is too complex and sensitive issue, tho some think otherwise. The only problem is that this is FIA's court :), which has a record of making weird decisions.

The FOZ
The FOZ

Re: 2009 Difusser Rule Interpretation

kilcoo316 wrote:
Conceptual wrote: Can you PLEASE stop stuffing your personal beliefs on what is legal and what is not on this forum?
Who appointed you as the post mafia?

:roll:
This is F1technical, not F1emotional. The man has a point.

If one wishes to argue the legality of a certain component design, it would be nice to supply some logical reasoning behind such a point of view, since this IS a technical discussion board.
Last edited by Steven on 07 Apr 2009, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: True, but commenting like that doesn't help the thread either, hence I also removed all posts that only reply to this point, rather than on-topic

The FOZ
The FOZ

Agerasia wrote:Personal opinion seems to be clouding the issue a bit here.
At the end of the day it comes down to what the rules say.
Which isn't to say "Don't debate the rules"...but rather "Debate the rules based upon fact and logic, not personal feeling"

Giblet
Giblet

I'm not for mandating standard parts per se, but if the FIA just handed everyone a diffuser and said "Make it work", and this whole thing went away, that would be so awesome.

It's a really boring area for us to look at. We need spy shots and the teams are hiding it in the pitlane (see Toyota in last race) so we can't get real details.

At least with the aero appendages on the body that have been outlawed we could look at them and try to deduce what they do.

We're on a technical site, it's been two races, and we still don't understand wholly how they work or look.

So assume everyone can run "DDD's" after the hearing, how much money will(have) they spend(t) developing them for a retrofit? I want teams to design chassis and engines, not endlessly toil away at diffusors and suspension arms in CFG and tunnel work.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

axle
axle

This thread and the one about Lie-gate are wandering about aimlessly for no real benefit. I'll just wait till the virdict is given.
Last edited by Steven on 07 Apr 2009, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: See my comments above
- Axle

Conceptual
Conceptual

Thanks Tomba.

You are a great chap for your continued support of the crybabies and bigots that inhibit your forum.

I used to rely very strongly on what was posted here, and now you go and defend the bigots and remove the posts that call them out for their bullshit.

I think that you should rename this to F1Emotional, because as the founding member, you are supporting this change.

F1Technical.net is getting as bad as the FIA controlled F1.

All theater, and no technical.

Enjoy it, because I have had my fill.

Callum

Conceptual wrote:Thanks Tomba.

You are a great chap for your continued support of the crybabies and bigots that inhibit your forum.

I used to rely very strongly on what was posted here, and now you go and defend the bigots and remove the posts that call them out for their bullshit.

I think that you should rename this to F1Emotional, because as the founding member, you are supporting this change.

F1Technical.net is getting as bad as the FIA controlled F1.

All theater, and no technical.

Enjoy it, because I have had my fill.
Quite a theatrical departure, no?

Ciro Pabón

Definitely F1Emotional it is. 8)
Ciro

shir0

Conceptual wrote:Enjoy it, because I have had my fill.
I've seen this at several other fora before. Saying "I've had it with this shitty forum..." Then those people either just continue lurking around, or, most of the time, when they can no longer hold back...create a new identity for themselves and just post again.

Just like what Ciro said...
Ciro Pabón wrote:Definitely F1Emotional it is. 8)
:mrgreen:

Let's just all wait for the hearing's conclusion. And wait, quite excitedly, at the side lines. AND ENJOY THE DRAMA! 8)
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.