MP4-24 Rear Suspension Geometry

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
McMacca

MP4-24 Rear Suspension Geometry

firsty apologies if this is being discussed somewhere else (perhaps in a 30+ page thread!)

I saw this image a couple of days ago and my first thought was OMG, what a lot of body roll!

So my thoughts - have McL made a error with the rear suspension geometry, that, due to the tighter packaging of the rear of the car, makes a simple soloution difficult to come by? Perhaps McL thought the 09 spec wings would compensate for the mecanical shortfall in this setup, only to find in the real world this is not the case.

Or am I way off base?

myurr

Re: MP4-24 Rear Suspension Geometry

McMacca wrote: Or am I way off base?
Not sure - I think the angle makes it look worse than it is. I did a quick check in a graphic program and estimated that the car is rolling about 1.5 degrees (although I went about the houses doing that so could have made a mistake).

Doesn't sound sooo excessive to me, but maybe aerodynamically it is significant.

Callum

hmm, yeah, look at the hight difference to the ground from each edge of the diffuser.

ofcourse, we dont know if he's just come off a kerb or anything.

ESPImperium

Personally i think that the MP4-24 has got a aero problem that isnt working the mechanicals properly whitch arent working the tyres.

But it may be a problem between the mechanicals and the aero package that need to be resolved together to meet the ends needed.

Callum

Sorry to burst your bubble McMacca, it seems like they're all pretty similar.

timbo

Is it me, or does McLaren have much lower ride height than other cars?

myurr

timbo wrote:Is it me, or does McLaren have much lower ride height than other cars?
Think it's a combination of you :D, the angle of the photos, and the way McLaren have packaged the rear (tall but narrow, so flat either side, as opposed to wide and low).

lkocev

From the pictures it doesn't really look like an unusual amount of body roll. I'm not sure how much the suspension geometry influences body roll, I would have thought that it is much more influenced by spring stiffness. Isn't suspension geometry designed accoding to what wheel alignment changes need to take place during load variation and body roll??

humble sabot

My vote is on limits of pysics. Beyond a certain point grip versus momentum is going to equal roll. I think another factor is that the downforce isn't spread out laterally very much.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Jersey Tom

1) There's nothing inherently wrong with body roll

2) It is the easiest thing in the world to change with bar and spring rates.

That amount of body roll is what McLaren wants.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ISLAMATRON

Jersey Tom wrote:1) There's nothing inherently wrong with body roll

You must have never tried to go thru the slalom driving a 40 ft city bus, I have, massive body roll.

ced ampo

The suspension is easy to adjust so that's probably the optimum setting for the track.

Jersey Tom

ISLAMATRON wrote:

You must have never tried to go thru the slalom driving a 40 ft city bus, I have, massive body roll.
There's nothing inherently wrong with body roll.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

kilcoo316

From an aerodynamics perspective, it is... undesirable.

Jersey Tom

kilcoo316 wrote:
From an aerodynamics perspective, it is... undesirable.
But you're always going to have it.. and springing the car solid is gonna do more harm than good. There's ways of making sprung mass roll work for you.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be too concerned if the McLaren rolls more than other cars. Big deal.