Mc Laren MP4/24 aero-mech development in 2009

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
bar555
bar555

Mc Laren MP4/24 aero-mech development in 2009

GP AUSTRALIA
LAUNCH

AUSTRALIA

1.New front wing
2.New rear wing
3.New front wheel rim shields
4.Small sidepod panels were added
5.Sidepods - Exhaust area
6.Rear floor

FRONT WING

1.2009 regulations command that the central part of the front wing (500mm width ) must consist of a single element and must also conform exactly to the thickness and chord specified by the FIA .
2.Τhe two outer silver extremities ( only for the two of the four profiles ) are bending slightly upwards to create a gap between the wing profile and the ground in order to reduce the pitch sensitivity of the car at high speed
3. The double red colored movable curvy elements offer the best compromise between drag and downforce and improve the airflow towards the inside of the front wheels .
4. The support of the moveable panels also reveals that only the upper element of the wing is adjustable by the driver. The driver can operate that element by 6° from his steering wheel, activating an adjuster built into the end plate.
5.The neutral shaped elements probably contain the electronics responsible for moving the front panel by 6°
6.Gurney tabs
7. The front wing end plates curve inwards instead of outwards . The additional element directs air around the outside of the front wheels.
8. The Venturi Channel remained

Portimao – January testing

Jerez - February testing

REAR WING

1.Double pillars connecting wing to chassis
2.Gurney flap
3.The main profile is bending upwards in its central part to increase downforce production on its extremities close to the endplates .
4.The flap is separated from the rest of the endplates by a deep cut so as to provide a cleaner exit for the airflow under the main sculpted profile .
5.The horizontal shark gills reduce turbulence generated by the impact of the airflow where they attach to the main profile
Last edited by bar555 on 17 Apr 2009, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

Callum

Re: Mc Laren MP4/24 aero-mech development in 2009

Finally, some real technical posts, thanks bar555:D

donskar
donskar

Well done bar555. THANKS.

It will be interesting to see how much the front will have to change to accomodate the new diffuser (assuming it is judged legal).
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Giblet
Giblet

Here kids... BAR inspired me to do some tech work today.

Nothing much, just two camera shots of the MP24 and F60 that are exactly the same, so I set up a morph over 15 seconds of the 24 changing into the 60.

I used a lot of points, so the morph happens semi logically.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkn9BaOd1U[/youtube]
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bar555
bar555

Giblet wrote:Here kids... BAR inspired me to do some tech work today.

Nothing much, just two camera shots of the MP24 and F60 that are exactly the same, so I set up a morph over 15 seconds of the 24 changing into the 60.

I used a lot of points, so the morph happens semi logically.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkn9BaOd1U

Great work =D>

ENGINE

Type: Mercedes-Benz FO 108W
Capacity: 2.4 litres
Cylinders: 8
Bank angle: 90°
Number of valves: 32
Maximum rpm: 18,000 (FIA regulatory limit for 2009)
Piston bore maximum; 98mm (FIA regulation)
Weight: 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)
Fuel: Mobil High Performance Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)
Lubricants: Mobil 1 – for higher performance, lower friction and better wear resistance

KERS

1.Large battery , used to store electric energy generated by an electric motor . It is placed as lower as possible ‘
2.KERS radiator
3.Electronics

The MP4-24’s KERS device has been developed in collaboration with McLaren and Mercedes-Benz HighPerformanceEngines, which has been developing and refining the system for almost two years. The device enables the car to recover energy under braking, store the energy for a lap and release it when the driver presses a button on the steering wheel.
With a fully optimised KERS device’s output capped at 400kJ (discharging 80bhp boost for 6.7s per lap), the development team’s primary focus has already shifted to further improving the unit’s integration within the chassis in order to minimise performance loss elsewhere within the package.
An optimised KERS package can be expected to deliver a 0.3-0.5s gain per lap.

NOSE CONE END HOLE

The hole at the tip of the nose returned for the Aussie GP . Mc Laren preferred not to use it during cold winter conditions

wesley123
wesley123

interesting placement of kers, as the intake is on the other side of the car :p
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Callum

wesley123 wrote:interesting placement of kers, as the intake is on the other side of the car :p
hah, good point, what is on the drivers lefthand side then?

bar555
bar555

RADIATORS INLETS

MP4/24 is designed with really reduced radiators inlets instead of whole open ones . The inlet’s bottom is completely closed offering a drag and turbulence cut immediately in front of the sidepod, aiding the car's top-end performance .
Moreover there is an extra small hole on the right side only , just below the large inlet , used to cool sidepod electronics

SIDEPOD PANELS

Small panels were added for Australia .

ENGINE COVER

The engine cover features a very thin extension with a V pointed end

LAPTOP CONNECTION - DATA TRANSFER

Via a socket at the left front side of the chassis

STEERING WHEEL

Giblet
Giblet

Anyone know the rules as to engine placement?

With the teams having trouble with the cars being a little light in the rear with the new regs smaller rear wing and emphasis on front end aero grip, would moving the engine lump back a few inches help at the expense of a bit of waistline at the rear?

I understand that the lump and the monocoque are one and the same with the engine being a stressed part of the chassis, but I'm pretty sure this could be done without having to change the driver position or massively mess with the car, if anytihng making more room to adjust fuel tank and battery placement.

Ideers?
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Ciro Pabón

Great thread as usual, bar. Thanks a lot, the best post of this month.
Ciro

sticky667
sticky667

Giblet wrote:Anyone know the rules as to engine placement?
5.3 Engine dimensions :
5.3.1 Cylinder bore diameter may not exceed 98mm.
5.3.2 Cylinder spacing must be fixed at 106.5mm (+/- 0.2mm).
5.3.3 The crankshaft centreline must not be less than 58mm above the reference plane.
5.4 Weight and centre of gravity :
5.4.1 The overall weight of the engine must be a minimum of 95kg.
5.4.2 The centre of gravity of the engine may not lie less than 165mm above the reference plane.
5.4.3 The longitudinal and lateral position of the centre of gravity of the engine must fall within a region that is the
geometric centre of the engine, +/- 50mm. The geometric centre of the engine in a lateral sense will be
considered to lie on the centre of the crankshaft and at the mid point between the centres of the forward
and rear most cylinder bores longitudinally.

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:Anyone know the rules as to engine placement?

With the teams having trouble with the cars being a little light in the rear with the new regs smaller rear wing and emphasis on front end aero grip, would moving the engine lump back a few inches help at the expense of a bit of waistline at the rear?

I understand that the lump and the monocoque are one and the same with the engine being a stressed part of the chassis, but I'm pretty sure this could be done without having to change the driver position or massively mess with the car, if anytihng making more room to adjust fuel tank and battery placement.

Ideers?
The teams are trying to move the weight bias forward, so moving the engine rearward would be counterproductive.

But we will see the engines moving back some next year with the larger fuel tanks needed because of the ban on refueling. The tanks may be at least twice as big as this years.

PlatinumZealot

I don't like the Mclaren sidepods.. i think that it needs to be made to look like that of the toyota's for better performance. The exhaust area maybe could be lower :?:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

bar555
bar555

NOSE CONE WINGLETS - CAMERA

The winglets on both sides of the nose cone direct the airflow impacting against them to the sidepods . Τhey may have a camera fitted inside them .

BARGEBOARDS

Like all teams in 2009 Mc Laren took also advantage of a regulation loophole and attached a small bargeboard to the main body of the car .
Bargeboards supposed to be banned from 2009 due to new regulations .
The MP4/24 had completely different bargeboards for Australia . They were more curvy and had a different upper design to better guide the airflow .

UNDER NOSE FLOOR

On both and front sides of the floor there are vertical extensions which create a small channel under the nose . The airflow is guided via this channel and with the help of the small bargeboards around the bottom sculpted sidepods . This solution offers less drag and reduces air turbulences in front of the sidepod inlets improving the quality of the airflow into the radiators .

bar555
bar555

MIRRORS

The mirrors are attached close to the cockpit . On the contrary others teams like Ferrari , Red Bull , Toro Rosso located their mirrors away from the cockpit zone.

SIDEPODS - EXHAUST AREA

Periscope exhausts pipes . For Australia on Friday pre-race their sidepod housing cover was a little different . Take notice that the whiter hole filling stuff extended up to the front upper part of the rear suspension covering element . For FP , Qualify AND race the exhaust area became again similar to the one used during winter testing time .

ZERO KEEL

MP4/24 finally adopted the Ferrari style height sensor . An upside V shaped channel is created under the nose to better direct the airflow towards the central chassis keel . Τhe central chassis keel splits the airflow into 2 parts .
Last edited by bar555 on 17 Apr 2009, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.