Adjustable Front Wing Idea & Rear Wing Idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ESPImperium

Adjustable Front Wing Idea & Rear Wing Idea

Last night i was thinking about some design elements of a F1 car after reading the Mike Gascoigne interview in the current F1 Racing magazine and came to a couple of diffrent ideas for the front and rear wing.

Firstly, the front wing. Taking a double plane wing like McLaren MP4-24 launch wing, take the first plane to be at a 24 degree angle and the second plane above the front at a 38 degree angle, could it be within the rules to have both planes controls by the same atuator to be controled in the +/- 6 degree scale to gain more front end downforce when needed. Im wondering wether the BGP001 runs a diea like this, and mak be more advantagous than the diffuser.

Secondly, the rear wing. Is it allowed or can there be a undercut under the base plane to create more downforce, incorperating the Sharkfin Ala RB5, F1.09 supplementary wing and Legendary Ms Engine cover scoop to get more air into the central section of the wing to create more downforce.

Basically my diagram shows what im meaning:

Could theese ideas be a runner, or are they just plain illegal to the current regulations???

joseff

Re: Adjustable Front Wing Idea & Rear Wing Idea

I believe this would only be legal within the central 150mm. The two blue + one red elements would constitute "3 closed loops" where only 2 are allowed.

ESPImperium

So some work is required for me to make it legal for the rear wing.

I guess the front wing idea would be legal???

kNt
kNt

I think frontwing is legal is you make the two flaps into one by connecting them e.g. in the middle so they can be considered one plane.

machin

I don't think its legal:
3.18 Driver adjustable bodywork :
A single closed section situated each side of car centre line in the volume bounded by:
- lines 450mm and 800mm in front of the front wheel centre line ;
- a vertical plane which intersects these lines at a distance 250mm from the car centre line ;
- and the inboard face of the bodywork described in Article 3.7.5 ;
is allowed to change incidence while the vehicle is in motion within a maximum range of 6 degrees, provided any such change maintains compliance with all of the bodywork dimensional regulations.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

ESPImperium

Thus, illegal.

Damn, that would have added a massive ammount of downforce to the front end of the car, making it perfect for tracks that have 2 diffrent pre determinted parts, the fast part and the slow part.

The rear section, im gonna work on a little more, im shure i can make it legal.

Steven
Owner

I suggest you first take a look at this article, stipulating the provisional technical regulations for 2010:

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/12314