Helium for Tyres

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Shrek
Shrek

Helium for Tyres

Has any F1 or anybody for that matter experimented with Helium as a tire gas because it is the lightest non flamable element
Spencer

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Helium for Tyres

Doubt it, for weight anyway. Just a guess but I'd think the mass difference between 20 psig of nitrogen (or air) versus helium for the volume of 4 tires would truly be negligible.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

marcush.
marcush.

the real benefit of using something special as tyre gas ,could have its cause in the
special gas not reacting -being inert- with the tyre or doing so with a positive effect to the behaviour of the tyre.
Using plain air surely should have some negative effect as the O2 in air could easily have some oxidising effects to the incredients of the tyre ..as you surely have C in the Tyre ...Same should be true with Co2 this may also have an effect.
As for all those special gases the question is how do they perform in terms of volume increase vs temp on their own ,but also how does this change in real world situation when you got a tyre ,rim ,maybe stickers-glue,mounting compound ,talcum and what have you also present in the equation.I guess Helium would make for something not likely to reacting with anything ,so that should be a good starting
point but really you would want something that traps water-moisture and does not ever release it again -except maybe for a long SC period to get back to your correct pressure.Then again that would be the super tyre gas -completely stable in terms of volume at any temp a racecars tyre possibly could see during a race weekend..

bhall
bhall

It's illegal in F1. Plain-old air and nitrogen are the only legal gases for tire inflation.

xpensive
xpensive

How about Hydrogen, that's lighter than Helium?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

xpensive wrote:How about Hydrogen, that's lighter than Helium?
very smart choice with o2 possibly entering the equation..when having a tyre disintegrating....i rmember those tyre explosion of Mansell a few years back... :shock:

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:
xpensive wrote:How about Hydrogen, that's lighter than Helium?
very smart choice with o2 possibly entering the equation..when having a tyre disintegrating....i rmember those tyre explosion of Mansell a few years back... :shock:
But that's the general idea marcush, bring some fireworks back to F1! :D
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"