Designing the monocoque

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
munnsie1
munnsie1

Designing the monocoque

Hi,

Basically i'm trying to design the 2010 monocoque section of an f1 car. The section lies between the front wishbones and the location of the exhausts, however i do not know the overall depth of the cockpit. Any models or dimensions regardin this would be great.

Thanks in regards

Dan

machin

Re: Designing the monocoque

Many of the dimensions are stipulated in the FIA rules... for example minimum monocoque width, opening for the driver to get in, position of the driver's feet etc... you can download them from the FIA site. The rest are determined by the design of the rest of the car... I have a very simple monocoque in my solidworks model.... compared to 2009 monocoques they should be longer and wider to accommodate the new bigger fuel tank

see this thread for a shot of my model (second pic down shows the monocoque) (since I made this I have subsequently widened it to accommodate a wider fuel tank):

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7764
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

machin

Even better than my model(!); some real pictures from USf1:-

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news ... assis.html
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

munnsie1
munnsie1

What you've done looks great, the monocoque tub is wicked. From the fia rules it says from drawing 2 of the 2010 technical regs that the distance from the top of the air box hole to the ground is 950mm so what is the depth of the cockpit?!

xpensive
xpensive

Esteemed moderators, I find this thread a rather good xample to support my idea of approval for all new topics?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"