beginners question on front tyres /front wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
lebesset

beginners question on front tyres /front wing

I am sure this must have been well covered before , but I have not ventured here before and reading years of posts is beyond me , so forgive a tyro's question

last year the cars were unbalanced grip wise following the change back to slicks , too much front grip

if it had been decided to reduce the front wing size instead of the tyre size , would this have have exacerbated the overtaking problem ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

ubrben

Re: beginners question on front tyres /front wing

I think the point is that a decent race car will have good mechanical and aero balance.

By mechanical balance I mean basic stability determined from front and rear cornering stiffness, front and rear limit grip and the position of the CG within the wheelbase.

In addition to that you have the balance determined by the car's aerodynamics - i.e. when the aero load increases the grip generated by the tyres, does this increase happen equally front and rear?

The basic point is - don't fix a mechanical balance issue with aero and vice versa.

Ben