Simulator technology

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ghost406
ghost406

Driving simulator

Hi
Does anyone have some informations about McLaren driving simulator? I Heard that it was the best one in Formula One!
See ya

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Re: Driving simulator

Says who? Best for what?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mach11
mach11

ghost406 wrote:Hi
Does anyone have some informations about McLaren driving simulator? I Heard that it was the best one in Formula One!
See ya
IMHO, You might not be able to get anything on this.... It depends upon how much the team is ready to invest on the simulator... and it is a well kept secret (level of sophistication)...

Mclaren, Ferrari, Renault also has been associated with Formula 1 for quite sometime now, you cannot rank their simulators....
"Be the change that you wish to see most in your world" -- Mahatma Gandhi

Halgovern
Halgovern

have u guys seen this? watch from 2:45 onwards, very genuine reaction form jake humphrey, must be something radical :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQJBr7vWjy0
“On the days when Hamilton’s insane alliance of guts, skill and derring-do appear capable of delivering the world it is easy to forget he is only 25, an age when it is all too common for boys to believe themselves men.”

Giblet
Giblet

Half of the grid uses this:

rFactor-pro
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

machin

I must admit I can't see the benefit of adding the inconsistancy of a human test driver to a lap simulation...? Any ideas what the person adds? The team's obviously feel there is an advantage...
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

DaveW
DaveW

machin wrote:I must admit I can't see the benefit of adding the inconsistancy of a human test driver to a lap simulation...? Any ideas what the person adds? The team's obviously feel there is an advantage...
Because:

- it is a "procedure trainer" (& not just for the driver),

- it is a good way to gain familiarity with a vehicle & the layout of a circuit,

- the driver is part of the compromise that makes a good race vehicle (although this may be fanciful given the current state of knowledge of tyres & aero).

sknguy
sknguy

I think the cfd and windtunnel provide aerodata for the simulator. Once the aero can be modelled, a simulator's utility is probably good for sussing out the mechanicals... tire wear, braking, springs, balance & handling, gearing, fuel loads, weather, etcetara. And how all this might work on a specific circuit. And in the hands of a specific driver too, I might add. So that one doesn't go into a GP totally cold on data. The simulator is pretty much a necessity in this regard, IMHO. Either way, knowing what to expect would be hugely important.

You never know for sure how different/new chassis are going to work on the same circuit. But simulators are likey, also very important for drivers who haven't been at X-circuit before, or where there have been layout changes as well.

ghost406
ghost406

Jersey Tom wrote:Says who? Best for what?
Information from rFactor Pro

Caito
Caito

There's a series of youtube videos of the redbull facilities. In one of them they state that they could make the car probably much faster, the problem is that the driver would not be able to react quickly enough because the car would be much more unpredictable. You need a fast car, but also a car that gives condifence to the driver and won't punish as much if you go a little bit 'over' the limit. That may probably be a reason to use the test driver.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

747heavy

some info on the Toyota-Simulator

http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/upload ... ure_01.pdf

and a development by the Max-Planck Institute in Germany
http://robots.net/article/3039.html

some other info:
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... ealed.html
Last edited by 747heavy on 29 Nov 2010, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci

sknguy
sknguy

ghost406 wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:Says who? Best for what?
Information from rFactor Pro
I knew ISI had a very good physics engine for gaming, but I didn't realise they also had a usable product for this market. Interesting.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

rFactor is absolute crap as far as vehicle dynamics simulation goes. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the "pro" version.

Edit- sounds like rfactor pro is kind of an open source license for the sim. Convenient, providing the driver interface while letting the team or organization build a legit sim behind it.

I still think there is a big misconception of how engineers use sims. Hell even FSAE students have it figured out
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Giblet
Giblet

Exactly pro an rfactor are different things. Pro allows teams to use existing models from different sources.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ghost406
ghost406

The GP2 Team ART Grand Prix has bought a McLaren driving simulator. I heard that McLaren would like to do business with there simulator.