Simulator technology

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Belatti
Belatti

Re: Simulator technology

DOUBLE R RACING ENGINEERING

We have available probably the best dedicated F3 model simulator:
- 6.4 mtr 180 degree screen
- Optional paddle shift for Formula Renault simulation
- Operating system as per current F3 car with gearlever and clutch pedal
- Latest Dallara f310 aero map
- Defournier technologies tyre model
http://www.doublerracing.co.uk/engineering.asp

Whats "Defournier technologies tyre model" ?

Google threw no results... :roll:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

silente
silente

I think there was an article on RCE some years ago about this model. I don´t remember the details, but it was wuite different from the common pacejka model and it was including also temperature effects. There are probably a lot of other things to say about it but i don´t remember! :D

MadMatt
MadMatt

They made a typo, its Dufournier, here is more information about it :

http://www.dufournier-technologies.com/ ... lepneu.htm

:)

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Having an elaborate model (literally the math behind everything) is the easy part...
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Who builds the simulators?

elmerfud wrote:Those hexapods can be diy built you know?
You need 6 ball screws,6 large stepper motors, a large dc power supply, an P4 computer with open source software called 'enhanced machine controller' or emc. Your game would have to have some force feedback ability.

The tricky part would be to code the software interface between the sim game and the emc software.

Oh, and that type of machinery can severe a limb, so i'd strongly recommend building a safety cage around all the moving gaps.

It'd cost about 5 grand usd to build yourself.
(you could sell the code if it was pretty good)

Surely the system is hugely valuable for basic race handling training without crashing real cars !

for this you only need 2 or 3 degrees of freedom ?
(roll, sway/sideways translation, and pitch) ?

and proper (and variable) modelling of car behaviour

BTW ballscrews are just screws (without even ballnuts) - very cheap, but you need additional guide/constraint system
If you want the electromechanical equivalent of a 'hydraulic ram' you need ballscrew actuators (not so cheap)
plain nut actuators are much cheaper than ballscrew actuators

actuators are cheaper if they don't have to support the platform weight

stepper motor concept is founded on open loop position control, useful size stepper motors are not cheap
(closed loop is more practical, other motors/drives are cheaper/better eg with encoders or other position transducers)

Yes, I say build it and drive it !!