A good source for CAD?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Jack22evans

A good source for CAD?

Heyy Does anyone know where i can get a goos peice of CAD software. ive seen the cars what people have created on here and they look stunning and i want to do my own so i would be thankful if you could give me a link to download a good CAD software. preferably free but i dont mind paying thanks..
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 23 Jan 2011, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title to make it relevant to content

MadMatt

Re: CAD

I think this subject has been on the forum before but basically here are the mail softwares :

- Inventor
- Solidworks
- Catia

These softwares are really expensive however. Maybe there are other softwares around, but I don't know. I'm using CATIA V5 so I can only speak about this. There are various modules inside it, but I think the basic version is 15'000euros. If you want the complete version, I heard it was something like 1m€ but at this price you get a special technician from Dassault Systemes for you whenever you need help. There are so many modules and if you take the complete version you have to be a quite big team to have the use of all of them (or be the NASA or something).

These softwares are really expensive. Probably some users there can tell you about cheaper ones, but I think it will still cost something around 500euros for the cheapest !
:)

Byronrhys

Ok.... back on earth now, seriously if you just want to get into it you could try programs like Maya, Cinema 4d, Solid edge, 3ds max and I even heard some people talk about google sketch.

marcush.

the guys here do not use CAD packages as far as I know..
it´s more like 3D graphics like Blender which is freeware...
or rhino which is giving free downloads but only 15(?) saves...then you would need to purchase.
autodesk gives free trials for 1 month ..quite a task to learn the system and draw a f1 car in that timeframe...

ajdavison2

rhino is 25 saves :)

MadMatt

Then 1 solution : keep your computer running ! :lol:

ajdavison2

and just never save hahaha?

MadMatt

Just hope your computer doesn't crash ! Ok maybe you better try EuroMillion then. :P

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

AutoCAD (full versions and LT versions) are pretty pricey. Google Sketch-up is a free download for the simple version. I used it for the first time last night and came up with a very boxy and unaerodynamic single seater.

I'm sure with a bit of practice you could produce something reasonable.

PlatinumZealot

marcush. wrote:the guys here do not use CAD packages as far as I know..
or rhino which is giving free downloads but only 15(?) saves...then you would need to purchase.
autodesk gives free trials for 1 month ..quite a task to learn the system and draw a f1 car in that timeframe...
Yes we do :wink:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Yes, I only use them for drawing up surveyed buildings, calculating areas, preparing planning applications, building warrants etc etc, but no, I don't use AutoCAD 2011 and haven't used each varsion since R14 either. :lol:

Yes, it's Saturday night, and I'm feeling sarcastic.! :mrgreen:

N12ck

Google sketchup is free, and if you teach yourself well enough it is quite good, I have used it many times

for example what can be made:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... revstart=0

They are hard but once you get the hang of using google sketchup almost anything can be made.
Budding F1 Engineer

marcush.

n smikle wrote:
Yes we do :wink:

I know you do, but you have not come up with your F1 car design.All engineers will more or less have done CAD in their life.

I was only referring to the guys coming up with F1 car renderings .So far I have not seen any Catia or Pro E or unigraphics F1 designs.
For surfacing these programmes are quite demanding... most guys do that in Alias
if professionals as far as I know.

nikridzuan

I think the easy software for mechanical design:

CATIA
Inventor
Solidworks

Jack22evans wrote:Heyy Does anyone know where i can get a goos peice of CAD software. ive seen the cars what people have created on here and they look stunning and i want to do my own so i would be thankful if you could give me a link to download a good CAD software. preferably free but i dont mind paying thanks..

marcush.

a private version of PTC creo/Pro 5.0 (formerly called ProE wildfire) is sold at 250€+VAT and is available on PTCs web store.
this is the system Dallara and AudiMotorsport have in use...