F1 wishbone construction, a closer look

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Brian.G

F1 wishbone construction, a closer look

Another part under the spot light, rear lower wishbone.

In this thread over the next while Ill be unlocking a few secrets hidden within this part. Mainly, its construction, and how it was made. I will be cutting sections from it, and carrying out some destructive testing so anyone who is nervous, or cannot bare to see this sort of stuff cut up then leave now, its not the thread for you, if you have a keen interest, then this is the thread for you.
To my knowledge, this is the first time this will be done in the public domain.
I do not work in any F1 company, and have bought these parts legally, with my own money.
I have read all disclaimers in reference to second hand F1 parts and what I am undertaking is legal.
I am not going to mention the makers name all the same, just Incase Ive missed some small print. If any members want to guess as to which car(s) the parts belong(there will be more than one)then guess away, but I will not admit to whether you are right or wrong.

I have contacted F1 technical a few days ago in the light that they would give me some form of into before I posted up all this, but sadly, I got no response.
So Ill do a little self intro just so you know me a bit better given that Im new on here. I know just one other guy on here from my neck of the woods.

I have a keen interest in Motor-sport parts as well as Metallurgy, and Mechanical engineering. I have also an extreme Interest in petrol n/a engines, and head design.
I am not qualified in anyway but have been researching all this stuff since I was about 8, and have continued to do so to the current day. I have designed and made many parts at this stage mainly from cast aluminium. Doing everything in house from pattern making to machining. The latter started as a hobby/evening work but now, I can see how I may be able to make a living from it in the future.
This year I hope to cast my first 16v cylinder head, doing everything from design, to mould making/pouring/machining etc, myself. I had intended doing it last year but other stuff got in the way. I have the design done for some time now.
I spent a lot of time as a joiner, which makes complex pattern making easy for me.
The rest is passion.

So thats me, I hope you enjoy and perhaps learn a bit from what I bring to the table. Im doing this analysis for myself, but I feel it would be rude not to share.
If you feel the info is good, or that you have learned something you didn't know, then feel free to wire me money, I wont say no :lol:

Anyway, enough chit chat, onto the first of the photos, enjoy and Ill update daily, or when I can, dont worry with the first batch if you cant figure out the carbon weave or how its laid/moulded up, Ill find out/display all that.

Brian Garvey.

Something to be thinking about for the time being...
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

hud
hud

Re: F1 wishbone construction, a closer look

hi. nice pictures you have there. where did you get all these parts? are you somehow F1 mechanic or engineer?

bettonracing

Thanks for sharing all these parts in such detail.

Look forward to the developments on this dissection.

Regards,

H. Kurt Betton

Tim.Wright

Im interested to know if there is a foam core such as Rohacell inside. I have heard of wishbones being manufactued close moulded with core in the middle but this looks like the top and bottom surfaces are cured separately then post bonded to the titanium.

Does it sound like its hollow or do you think there is some core in there?

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Brian.G

Tim.Wright wrote:Im interested to know if there is a foam core such as Rohacell inside. I have heard of wishbones being manufactued close moulded with core in the middle but this looks like the top and bottom surfaces are cured separately then post bonded to the titanium.

Does it sound like its hollow or do you think there is some core in there?

Tim
Looking at the pushrod which I have already done(posting later) I would think the wishbone is also hollow Tim. Brings a twist to figuring out how they made it. The pushrod looks as if foam was never used, by that I mean sometimes it can be dissolved out later. No trace in the pushrod.

@bettonracing, thankyou.

@hud, as I mentioned, no, not involved. Parts can be bought online and come up from time to time at a price.

BG

PlatinumZealot

Mr.G... was wondering.. the baering am interested in the diameters and thickness. And is that some type of cir-clip holding them in? or are they swaged in?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Formula None

Another fantastic post, thank you. I too look forward to the disassembly.

Brian.G

n smikle wrote:Mr.G... was wondering.. the baering am interested in the diameters and thickness. And is that some type of cir-clip holding them in? or are they swaged in?
The inboard bearings are 'normal' rose inserts. They are pressed into arm and are of the interference fit. Keep in mind that very low axial force exists on them.

Image (internet picture)

The dimensions are approx 21mm outer diameter, 9.46mm bolt hole diameter, ball diameter 17.46mm, insert width 10.30mm.

Since the hub rose joint is under axial and radial strain of a higher degree it is mounted horizontally.
A 21mm hole is drilled and counter-bored 27mm in diameter. The counter-bore is stopped around 3mm shy. The 27mm hole is then threaded. A cone washer is inserted into the bottom of counterbore. The rose is dropped in, another cone washer placed ontop, and then the preload nut ring screwed down ontop to secure rose. The preload ring is dot punched into threads to secure.

Ill have more exact measurements soon once I remove it.

Hope this helps,

BG

Tim.Wright

Hi Brian,

I just got a 2002 Renault upper front wishbone delivered today. This seems to sound like its cot core in it in places (when you tap it with a coin). The leading edge is hollow but in between the metallic bonded inserts it makes a very different sound when you tap it as compared to the hollow sections.

I will post some pictures when the F1T server is back to normal

Tim

Brian.G

Tim.Wright wrote:Hi Brian,

I just got a 2002 Renault upper front wishbone delivered today. This seems to sound like its cot core in it in places (when you tap it with a coin). The leading edge is hollow but in between the metallic bonded inserts it makes a very different sound when you tap it as compared to the hollow sections.

I will post some pictures when the F1T server is back to normal

Tim
Tim, I thought it was just my end that had the bother with the forum, thanks for confirmation!

conni

some are hollow made with a bag running through them, some are machined to make them hollow then bonded at the edges and some use rohacell and others are machined flat then bonded

conni

F1 Oldtimer

Brian, wait before you chop it up I should be able to answer any question you have about your wishbone.

Ask away and I'll help you as much as my tired memory will allow me to.

countersteer

Tim, thanks for posting all of this! Please pardon my ignorance. You say you work as a joiner. Can you tell me what a "joiner" does? - Rob

Richied76

joiner = carpenter...I know because i'm one myself :D

Tim.Wright

countersteer wrote:Tim, thanks for posting all of this! Please pardon my ignorance. You say you work as a joiner. Can you tell me what a "joiner" does? - Rob
Me? Did I say that? I'm an engineer, I worked for a couple of years with a composites processing company but Im now doing vehicle dynamics work.

The one thing I learnt in composites is that its still quite a black art in terms of tooling, layup and curing. I learnt a few tricks there but my knowledge is still quite basic.

Tim