Air intake position

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
HungryHebbo

Air intake position

Looking at the new Lotus and it's bladed roll-hoop (I know that Merc had one last year, but I didn't think of this then :P ) has made me wonder about the air intake position. Does somebody with an in-depth knowledge of the rules know if the intake HAS to be up there?
What-with all the fuss about getting a clean air-flow to the rear wing, is it not possible to have two smaller intakes above the side pods or something similar, and just have a single blade for the roll-hoop? I have no idea how this would affect the air-flow to the trumpets or anything like that, just curious really.

Callum

Re: Air intake position

I was thinking about this and it is a completely stupid idea but I wondered what people thought:

Obviously the drawing is of this years Red Bull but that's not important right now.

I was wondering if it ('it' being the lowered air intake) would be chosen to lessen the force on the rear tyres due to the moment created by the drag force on the air intake. By lowering the height of the airbox they decrease the length of the lever arm where the force is exerted.

This has the effect of lessening the loss of front downforce at high speed.

And yes, I know, I know there is a whacking big rear wing on it and that the force may be negligible but it is just an idea.

Mystery Steve

Yes, lowering the air intake would reduce the aerodynamic pitch moment. On the other hand, the air intake needs good clean flow. It's a balancing act, and unfortunately for engineers there is no "perfect" set up.

Just_a_fan

The real problem is that the engine can't use all of the air that is trying to ram in to the airbox at high speed. This air then spills turbulently around the side of the airbox and hits the rear wing. This reduces the effectiveness of the rear wing.

By lowering the airbox you might allow the turbulent air to pass below the rear wing and so reduce the harmful effects at speed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

I was only just pondering this same issue after looking at pictures of the MP4-26. They could have taken the low drag concept further by lowering the airbox and cooling intakes. I don't know if regulations allow though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

myurr

n smikle wrote:I was only just pondering this same issue after looking at pictures of the MP4-26. They could have taken the low drag concept further by lowering the airbox and cooling intakes. I don't know if regulations allow though.
Well they have dropped the airbox and fitted a blade above the more traditional shape. They then have their duct behind that which will collect most of that turbulent overspill when the engine isn't able use all the air in the airbox.