Drag coefficient simulation in ANSYS 12.0 Fluent

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jhthoh

Drag coefficient simulation in ANSYS 12.0 Fluent

Hello guys,

Somebody can give me some information about calculate the drag force and downforce with fluent software?

Actually, I'm taking final year project with design aerodynamic body for SEM race car. Now, I already completed mesh my model in ANSYS CFX mesh but i really don't have idea how to get the drag coefficient and lift coefficient with fluent. Can you guys help me?

Sorry for my broken English and disturbing. Thanks you in million...

PlatinumZealot

Re: Drag coefficient simulation in ANSYS 12.0 Fluent

The might be tutorial videos you can download.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

PNSD

Not familiar with Fluent 12 but with 6.3 you could setup a force monitor to plot and write the Cd and Cl. Once the solution has converged it will give you a final answer (I persume RANS?). Providing your input reference values are correct then the values should be correct.

Is this your first attempt at CFD? If so then i advice the CFD-Online forums for any other assistance. Great

A quick google search bought this, hopefully helps.

http://www.cfd-online.com/Forums/fluent ... luent.html

n_anirudh

FLUENT 6.3 and 12 are the same except for the GUI. Google is ur best friend :)

jhthoh

PNSD, after i mesh in CFX mesh n import to Fluent, the whole domain become 1 "wall-air", i can only separate them and just define them.but as for gambit, we can directly define it after mesh before import to fluent.will tis affect??
and how about the reference values?i jz use its default or i need to change them?lk the area,length,viscosity,etccc..
i am new in this so i duno many things.

PNSD

Not used CFX before, but can you not define boundary conditions in CFX? If not then I advise gambit and set your boundary conditions that way, (inlet, outlet, walls, etc) then import into Fluent.

For the reference values, you will have to set the area, length and depth. I believe the other values will be defined when you chose where to compute from... So do not change any of the others.

If you are new to Fluent then I would recommend you follow through the tutorials made available by Cornell University.

https://confluence.cornell.edu/display/ ... ng+Modules

These are a great help and will introduce you to many of the common functions you will need to use for most simulations.

Likewise, what is your knowledge of the problem you are trying to simulate like? A must have requirement before any of this would be a strong background knowledge of fluid dynamics/aerodynamics and the problem, otherwise you are going to be producing some very pretty pictures with very little meaning. I suppose being an final year student you should have sufficient knowledge to be able to read and describe the flow patterns you see.

Is it a 2d or 3d case? I would assume 3d if you have used CFX to mesh?

jhthoh

I not very clear of this.i just need to simulate the flow around a car body to get its drag coefficient.i now trying to mesh using gambit.Simulate is 3d..Anyway,i not expect to do a very fine result since i am new in this and i have short time constraint.

PNSD

Okay, well using Gambit you can define the Boundary types, then once in fluent, with a solved solutiuon with appropriate boundary conditions you should be able to obtain the Cd how ive mentioned above.