Carbon brakes and bedding in

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
HungryHebbo
HungryHebbo

Carbon brakes and bedding in

As 'normal' disc brakes need bedding in when new pads/discs are installed, I was wondering whether carbon systems need to be bedded in at all?

This came to me as I was bedding in my pads on my MTB in next door's carpark after watching the Oz gp, gets a bit boring.

I'm not sure whether because they only work when they're hot that they need bedding in or not? If they do, at what point in an F1 weekend do they do it!? You never see cars steaming along, hamming on the brakes, go stop go stop...makes me think they don't need to be...

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: Carbon brakes and bedding in

I would venture out and guess that they are bedded in at the factory? Similar to the engines and chassis. Or perhaps during testing, shakedowns, or straight line tests.

The less time wasted out on track the better; remove as many performance/reliability variables before actual GP running takes place, thus leaving tyres and aero as the main variables for the practices.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

flynfrog

is bedding is mostly just to put a thin layer of pad on the disk? ON Carbon Carbon brakes isnt the pad the same as the disk?

HungryHebbo
HungryHebbo

I thought of bedding in as matching the two surfaces together, not necessarily putting a layer of pad on the disk. If I put in a brand new set of pads of the same compound, they still need bedding.

Possibly bedded in at the factory, although are the pads and discs made in the same place?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It depends, sometimes they might use pads and discs from different suppliers. I.e. Akebono discs and Brembo rotos. Different compounds, specs, etc.

But I think it's done at the factory on a dyno of sorts. The racers/engineers in here should have more concrete information.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

747heavy

AFAIK you don´t mix pad and disc´s, as you do with normal (steel) brakes.
There are different compounds/materials for different applications.

as for the OP question
this is what AP-Racing has to say:
AP Racing wrote: GT & LMP Brake Carbon User Guide

Bedding Discs And Pads Prior To Race

Because of its lower operating temperatures, compared to other carbon brake materials, it is easy to achieve running temperatures without the problem of glazing the rubbing faces. Blanking the brake ducts is not required in dry conditions. The driver should apply hard brake pressure, in short applications, taking care not to drag the brakes under lighter loads. This may result in glazing. If this occurs and the driver reports there is inadequate retardation, then the pads should be removed from the calipers and both these and the discs should have the rubbing faces deglazed with emery paper, and the carbon dust removed before use.
as others noted, with carbon/carbon brakes, you don´t have/need the transfer from pad material onto the disc surface to achieve optimum braking performance.
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust it wrong ......
look what they can do to a carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."
- Colin Chapman

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” - Leonardo da Vinci