Will Scuderia Ferrari respond?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
amouzouris

Will Scuderia Ferrari respond?

As a Ferrari fan i am really sad about the fact that Ferrari can not even compete for podiums let alone to win... Do you guys think Ferrari will be able to respond and close the gap between McLaren and the Bulls? and if it does how quickly do you think it will do?

N12ck

Re: Will Scuderia Ferrari respond?

well if you have read the news the windtunnel isnt calibrated right, as off track data and on track data are conflicting, so i dont think they will be with them until that is sorted :)
Budding F1 Engineer

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

They managed it last year.... :wink:

But I am not a Ferrari or an Alonso fan so I am happy with their results and Massa finishing ahead of Alonso. :mrgreen:

Sayshina

N12ck wrote:well if you have read the news the windtunnel isnt calibrated right,...
That's a rumor, though a reasonably likely one. We've seen teams recover from that in the past and have a good season, and we've seen teams lose years figuring where the error is.

Correlation errors are a lot like electrical shorts, finding the problem involves a lot of tedious rechecking of every detail, and human nature actually makes it much harder to find the problem if you've already missed it more than once.

That said, I'm not so sure that's the problem, or at least all of it. Teams with wind tunnel problems in the past have been flat out slow, they haven't been fast in testing and then suddenly slow at the first race.

Will they get it sorted out. Certainly, though I sincerely hope it takes them a few years. In fact, I'd dance in Enzo's grave if I thought I could do so without meeting an angry mob.

Giblet

James Key fixed the Force India 2 seasons ago, last year he fixed the Sauber.

This year he is at Ferrari, and his contract only started on the first of this month.

If you are a Ferrari fan, this bodes well since the car does not seem fundamentally slow.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

wesley123

Giblet wrote:James Key fixed the Force India 2 seasons ago, last year he fixed the Sauber.

This year he is at Ferrari, and his contract only started on the first of this month.

If you are a Ferrari fan, this bodes well since the car does not seem fundamentally slow.
Since when is James Key at Ferrari O.o
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

WhiteBlue

wesley123 wrote:
Giblet wrote:James Key fixed the Force India 2 seasons ago, last year he fixed the Sauber.

Since when is James Key at Ferrari O.o
According to the Sauber web site of today James Key is still their technical director!

A change to Ferrari would be news to me as well. Source please!
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar

amouzouris wrote:. . . ... Do you guys think Ferrari will be able to respond and close the gap between McLaren and the Bulls? and if it does how quickly do you think it will do?
No, of course not. Just look at their history: once they fall behind early in the season they are never able to regain competitiveness.

In fact, it's all so hopeless I think they will probably leave F1 for another series, probably NASCAR. Surprised? You shouldn't be. It's all very clear:
1) Kimi goes to NASCAR truck racing
2) Ferrari names a race car F150

Coincidence? Not a chance!
:wtf:
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

forzasab

Ferrari have always managed to find the speed, it's the passion that spreads throughout the factory, they will work night and day until they find it; it will happen.
Last edited by Giblet on 20 Apr 2011, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comment, and quoted disrespect for the dead.
Find the line, the speed will come.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Have you got a source? I have had a good look around a few sites and can't find anything. There is a report on GP Update (Sauber recognises deficit to Mercedes) dated 18 April which quotes James Key and states him as the Technical Director of Sauber.

I recall there were reports of him being dropped by Sauber after the problems with their rear wing in Australia but they turned out to be wrong.

I didn't check Twitter though.... :-k

godlameroso

James Key is 100% Sauber, which Ferrari has a small stake in, so I'm sure there is some technical cooperation.

James Key, Sauber technical director
“We went to FP3 with some changes on both cars after some of the balance difficulties we had yesterday. The problem yesterday was we didn’t get the soft tyres to work for us, but today it was different and both drivers were happier with the balance on this tyre. We just did a single run in Q1, which was enough. In Q2 Kamui had a new and a used set of tyres and Sergio had two new sets. It was a great shame for Sergio as his lap time was looking quite reasonable, but unfortunately he lost three to four tenths in the last sector. Certainly he could have been a lot closer to the top ten, but we know he is a good racer as he showed last race he can recover from that. Kamui did a great lap to get through to Q3 and then we just did a single run, which is always a little bit risky on a new tyre. I don’t think we could have gone too much further up the top ten, but maybe a bit more. We certainly can’t complain as it was a very good qualifying session again for Kamui.”

This was after the Chinese GP qualifying so Key is still a Sauber man, and good for him if you ask me, it will certainly add to his resume. I've always liked team Sauber, even in their LMP days.

Back on topic, I'm sure Ferrari will figure out how to create more downforce with their ducting, and once they copy the RB7's droopy nose cone tip(which allows the wing to tilt forward and down a few mm) they will be right up there. I sincerely hope Massa sticks it to Failonso this year, but that won't happen. Failonso can handle both compounds better than Massa, who struggles on the primes.
Saishū kōnā

bhall

I think our intrepid moderator is confusing James Key with Pat Fry.

I also think it's time for Stefano Domenicali, "in honor of his tireless efforts at the Gestione Sportiva," to be promoted to a position commensurate with his record of dedication to Ferrari which will allow him to spend more time with his family, if you catch my drift.

marekk

Ferrari used in pre-season 2 wind tunnels, in Maranello and Toyota's in Cologne:
http://thef1times.com/news/display/02562

Maybe the problem with correlating track and WT data has something to do with correlations between 2 different tunnels ?

godlameroso

Hate on me if you must but I think Stefano is no better or worse for that matter than Horner. They are PR men first, and managers second. Back on topic Ferrari will definitely improve, their car is good, they're just failing to exploit certain concepts other teams have worked on. I'm sure they're just evaluating which route to take.
Saishū kōnā

Giblet

bhallg2k wrote:I think our intrepid moderator is confusing James Key with Pat Fry.

I also think it's time for Stefano Domenicali, "in honor of his tireless efforts at the Gestione Sportiva," to be promoted to a position commensurate with his record of dedication to Ferrari which will allow him to spend more time with his family, if you catch my drift.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll just go sit here in the corner. Indeed Pat Fry.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute