RB7 Variable rake and ride height

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ernest

RB7 Variable rake and ride height

OK ready to be shot down in flames for this, but I have been thinking about the whole variable ride height / steep rake debate that has centred around Red Bull for this car and last seasons. Obviously regulations stipulate no changes to the car once in parc ferme, other than the addition of fuel. Could it be possible that the weight of the fuel into the tank in some way is brought to bear on some form of actuator or pretensioning device, perhaps in the form of a flexible mounting or bracket that in turn alters the height of the rear suspension- as the fuel load decreases so the actuator adjusts the loading into say the heave spring to maintain an optimum and constant rear ride height, thus accounting for the ability of the Red Bull to run steep rake and low ground clearance in both qualifying and in the race.

Fire away.

bot6

Re: RB7 Variable rake and ride height

It would be pretty cool, but would be considered active suspension and therefore illegal.

But yes, it would work, and yes, it would be cool. But I don't think they did that, there is no way that device would pass scrutineering.

hollowBallistix

even though fuel weight effects handling and performance, would if have that big an impact on the height of the car considering the amount of downforce their capable of generating ?

bot6

No, he's saying they might use some kind of device using the actual weight of the fuel tank to modify suspension setup. Like a sprung actuator under it or something similar, that would be used to modify the suspension setup as the fuel empties.

Shrieker

Makes perfect sense, could be incorporated into the suspension structure (or in the structure of some other part) so that the scrutineers wouldn't even suspect anything illegal.

Just the sort of thing you'd expect from Newey.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

aral

Shrieker wrote:Makes perfect sense, could be incorporated into the suspension structure (or in the structure of some other part) so that the scrutineers wouldn't even suspect anything illegal.

That is a rather serious accusation against Newey. Do you have any proof that Newey has ever put anything that was illegal, into one of his cars?
I would be reasonably confident that the scrutineers are up to the job, and would notice any irregularity.

spinmastermic

gilgen wrote:
Shrieker wrote:Makes perfect sense, could be incorporated into the suspension structure (or in the structure of some other part) so that the scrutineers wouldn't even suspect anything illegal.

That is a rather serious accusation against Newey. Do you have any proof that Newey has ever put anything that was illegal, into one of his cars?
I would be reasonably confident that the scrutineers are up to the job, and would notice any irregularity.
The two brake pedals MP4/13

Giblet

That wasn't illegal was it? I am pretty sure they just banned it.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

spinmastermic

Giblet wrote:That wasn't illegal was it? I am pretty sure they just banned it.
It got around the regs but Ferrari's whining got it banned

noname

gilgen wrote:I would be reasonably confident that the scrutineers are up to the job, and would notice any irregularity.
And I bet punishment would be really harsh if they would found something illegal, made by purpose (not due different than desired understanding of "unclear" regulations) and designed in a way protecting it from being noticed. As it was the case with Toyota in WRC.

That could be just too risky.

tathan

I imagine they'd be excluded from the constructors points, meaning a huge financial loss and the ex-McLaren garages in the pitlane next year :lol:

Richied76

i like the idea that redbull have been "bending" the rules the last few years...One because i think they have brought the best mind and "brought" there way to the trophies they have earned. and two because if newey and his team arnt keeping speculating about why they are so fast, he would have lost his edge.

BUT....with a solid front wing, solid floor, non blown diffuser and tires that you've been working with for years...It must be hard enough to set a car up to a drivers liking

Throw in all of the conspiracies and it must be imposiable. changing a gear ratio and thus top speed could affect if the wing or floor flexes to much and hits the floor or doesnt give enought DF ect...

Javert

tathan wrote:and the ex-McLaren garages in the pitlane next year :lol:
The most productive garages since decades 8) 8)

I think RB6 and RB7 are *legal* (if it pass the test, it's legal). Even their ultra-flexi wing seen in Hungary2010 was fully legal, and FIA changed the rules against them

There's no proof of their "variable rake device", if there was such a proof McL and Ferrari would have reclamed FIA and they didn't

This time last year someone was speculating about a traction control on RB6, which obviously was never found.

I'm a McL boy, but I must thank Red Bull for having, in these 2 years, found 3 seconds of lap-time (and Ferrari&McL copied them) in blown diffusers, flexi wings and pull rods. The key is always finding the max df, RB did it in a better way.

wesley123

indeed, if it passes the tests it is legal, simple as that.

although I must say, it is getting a bit out of hand, for example McLaren doesnt even try to hide their front wing flexing, the gap in the wing support is so clearly visible, it is just funny.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Sorry to digress, but IIRC they were told to solidify that, but they still didn't in Hungary, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法