Helmet aerodynamic apendages?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
MathiasG

Re: Helmet aerodynamic apendages?

Most helmets have little carbon spoilers on them to straighten the airflow and make your head bounce less in a straight line.

This is a standard Arai GP6carbon, I think this is the helmet that the most amount of F1 drivers use:

Compare that to following, you can see the little carbon spoiler on the back of the helmet.

Chin spoilers also exist, but aren't used often

I remember that way back in the Schumacher-Benetton days he used to hold his head crooked on the straights, so as to help the flow to the airbox. Helmet shape & size do affect performance.

N12ck

that spoiler at the back is for smoothing the airflow onto the car, not for any downforce of anything :)
Budding F1 Engineer

MathiasG

I think these spoilers are mostly used for stabilising the helmets a little at speed. I once drove a Formula Renault race with a standard Arai helmet without the spoiler and above 160-170 kph the helmet was noticeably pulling upwards.

n_anirudh

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/04/02/helmets/

here are the pics of helmets of the drivers.

While most drivers have appendages at the rear, forming a lip and delaying the separation, the Ferrari ones have appendages at the top..

Sidetracking here, would the drivers in the blade type roll hoop cars feel a bit more suction?

Also see this:
http://www.schuberth.com/fileadmin/down ... SF1_EN.pdf

where they mention "neutral upward lift"

raymondu999

The neutral upward lift thing is really subject to interpretation. I mean, for example the FW central section should be lift-free, but rake it slightly and you get a bit of downforce (not a large amount; but you do get some).

But then again, fighting to win or not, I still wouldn't put the driver at risk by sacrificing them specifically for performance reasons. That would be inhumane. Also aren't there strict specifications in which the two control manufacturers of helmets (are they controlled?) in Schuberth and Arai as to their safety?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jeffsvilleusa

Raikkonnen had these nifty flow straighteners:

Why was this camera mounted there anyway? Just cool onboard shots, or were they collecting some sort of driver head data?
Box! Box!

Sebp

As far as I can recall this was one of the helmets that started the aero-apendage business:

Michael Schumacher 1996

PlatinumZealot

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Raikkonnen had these nifty flow straighteners:

Why was this camera mounted there anyway? Just cool onboard shots, or were they collecting some sort of driver head data?
That is what I am talking about! except on the helmet! :P
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

Formula None

raymondu999

Is there an aerodynamic appendage on the helmet that we should be noticing? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

N12ck

it was a joke i think, as there is a cone sticking out above it :lol:
Budding F1 Engineer

RacingManiac

MathiasG wrote: I remember that way back in the Schumacher-Benetton days he used to hold his head crooked on the straights, so as to help the flow to the airbox. Helmet shape & size do affect performance.
Pretty sure Barrichello still does that, he moves his head to the right on the straight...

aral

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

Have a look at Vettels helmet! It does not have a flip-up as per other drivers' helmets, it has a stand up spoiler, such as a mini version to those seen as add-ons to Imprezas etc. Totally different to any other helmet!

raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB8 Renault

gilgen wrote:Have a look at Vettels helmet! It does not have a flip-up as per other drivers' helmets, it has a stand up spoiler, such as a mini version to those seen as add-ons to Imprezas etc. Totally different to any other helmet!
How very interesting! Great catch.

I thought it was an effect of the color, but it appears this thing does has a slot gap. Like a mini rear-wing.

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mzivtins

my motorcyle helmet has a nice contoured 'wing' type shape on it, it feels more stable with it on, a lot less side to side wobbling when sitting up into 150mph winds. It also seems quieter too, but that could just purely be the interior, although my previous helmet was also an AGV helmet.

I think maybe it just helps with driver comfort than anything, it works for me on the motorbike :)