What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

What would you add to F1technical?

Hi all,

I hereby would like to ask your specific requests for updates on f1technical. While I have shortlisted and planned several changes I'd like to know your specific suggestions ranging from the forum, functionality, content or even marketing.
Whatever you think of to make this a better place! Please take a few minutes to reply, just like some of our members have done already. Fire away!

West

How bout allowing video in posts/replies?
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

DaveKillens

One thing I would like to see is each team's specific news contained separately. For instance, if I wished to examine Honda, I could access just the news and history, developments pertaining to just Honda. http://www.jayski.com has something like this, where each team has their own page for news.
Additionally, a development blog for each individual team. There are many in this forum who spend countless hours comparing photos from different dates, spotting the smallest changes to a car. For instance, if I noticed that Ferrari had added more notches to the bottom of their bargeboards, I could post this in the Ferrari development blog. Just the facts, speculation and comments could always be continued in the forum.

Thank you.

Venom

More info and approach to new event (race weekend).

Race Countdown timer? Having a box on the home page dedicated to "next race"? Current drivers/constructors standings?

:D
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

ds.raikkonen

Venom wrote:Race Countdown timer? Having a box on the home page dedicated to "next race"? Current drivers/constructors standings?

:D
Yeah..that wud be great, just like the official F1 site.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

Steven
Owner

Venom wrote:More info and approach to new event (race weekend).
That has been requested previously and I will look into it. This would require me to create the circuits and grand prix database which could take up quite some time.
DaveKillens wrote: One thing I would like to see is each team's specific news contained separately. For instance, if I wished to examine Honda, I could access just the news and history, developments pertaining to just Honda. http://www.jayski.com has something like this, where each team has their own page for news.
So a list of news items to display on the team page...
DaveKillens wrote: Additionally, a development blog for each individual team. There are many in this forum who spend countless hours comparing photos from different dates, spotting the smallest changes to a car. For instance, if I noticed that Ferrari had added more notches to the bottom of their bargeboards, I could post this in the Ferrari development blog. Just the facts, speculation and comments could always be continued in the forum.
Well, I've done this already somehow. The cars in the car database will have a display of their latest updates as posted in the devblog. Dave are you willing to post items yourself in the devevelopment blog? Or what are you aiming at exactly?

zac510

I'd like to see a focused direction toward the technical aspect.

Stuff like race times, press releases etc can be had almost anywhere else. No need to clutter the technical site with that.

The technical aspect is what can make this site stand out beyond thousands of other regular news sites.

onon

ability to write posts, comments on news

astsmtl

Premoderated community news

You can put a box somewhere so that registered users will submit news, moderators can then approve user submitted news.

Sawtooth-spike

zac510 wrote:I'd like to see a focused direction toward the technical aspect.

Stuff like race times, press releases etc can be had almost anywhere else. No need to clutter the technical site with that.

The technical aspect is what can make this site stand out beyond thousands of other regular news sites.
I understand what your saying, but i like the fact this is a one stop shop for F1, Normaly The news on here is up befor alot of major sites.

I think the Mix is good with alot of Tech stuff, with a good bit of General F1 stuff and a few light hearted destractions.

I would like More stuff about Tracks.

I also think a "What is ...." Section, would be good, what i mean is we get alot of messages about "what is a Keel?" and that kinda stuff, and it might be good to have a section that gives people a rought idea of these things. this might cut down on some of these posts.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

modbaraban

Sawtooth-spike wrote:I also think a "What is ...." Section, would be good, what i mean is we get alot of messages about "what is a Keel?" and that kinda stuff, and it might be good to have a section that gives people a rought idea of these things. this might cut down on some of these posts.
Great idea! I was recently wondering what is 'Aero Stall' so I had to google for it being unable to find this in the Glossary section :wink:

astsmtl

Sawtooth-spike wrote: I understand what your saying, but i like the fact this is a one stop shop for F1, Normaly The news on here is up befor alot of major sites.

I think the Mix is good with alot of Tech stuff, with a good bit of General F1 stuff and a few light hearted destractions.

I would like More stuff about Tracks.

I also think a "What is ...." Section, would be good, what i mean is we get alot of messages about "what is a Keel?" and that kinda stuff, and it might be good to have a section that gives people a rought idea of these things. this might cut down on some of these posts.
http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/

NumberTwo

Sawtooth-spike wrote:I would like More stuff about Tracks.
Yeah, A current and historical listing of tracks would be great with the different layouts for each through the years would be great. Just like the "All cars ever" listing.

checkered

I have no real

complaints or concerns ... kinda agree on the technical focus being important, but do note that almost any F1 news story has a technical ramification, too. (Save for Paris Hilton making her rounds around the paddock at Monaco - unless she's in jail, that is!) Another thing: It's very nice that you're asking our opinion, but try to keep a personal touch, too. There are too many generic websites out there that try to please everybody. It doesn't work that way, though, since any one person isn't "average" by her/himself.

On the business side of maintaining a website, I would like to say I had ideas. None so far, but I'll get back to you if I come up with something. Right now I'm too preoccupied with stuff to really look into it.

Steven
Owner

astsmtl wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:...
http://www.f1technical.net/glossary/
Correct, the glossary is where you should find these things.

Let me also say again that there is a suggest word link on every glossary page to add a word (and its definition) to the glossary. The same goes for the calendar where you can suggest events, after which we'll moderate them. Furthermore, you can even also suggest links to be added in the weblinks directory.

So far however, there have not been too much suggestions so I can only conclude it contains everything that is needed. ;)

Oh and btw, new wallpapers are available: http://www.f1technical.net/pr/wallpapers.php