Moderator ferrari bias

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
bean

Moderator ferrari bias

I have been visiting this site for a couple of years.
I have noticed that, without fail, whenever a topic is critical of ferrari or a ferrari driver the thread is invariably locked. Even if threads are still active they are sanitised with the removal of "offending" posts.
I would not normally comment on something like this but it is an inevitable and consistent event. I do not object to the moderators being ferrari fanboys but what I find offensive is their censorship of the opinions of others.
I do not expect this topic to be around for long :(

Edited for spelling
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 04 Mar 2011, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to appropriate section after Pandamasque pointed it out, Gracias!
Who is the greater fool, the idiot or the wise man who continues to argue with him?

manchild

Re: Moderator ferrari bias

"The King is naked!" :lol:
Last edited by manchild on 04 Mar 2011, 03:58, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

I thought it was an Alonso bias, but maybe it's a combination of the two. Thread to be locked in 4...3...2....

Giblet

I have not noticed that, but the Ferrari threads are a little more fiery, but it's people seem to either love or hate Ferrari, as they are so polarizing in their actions. Having drivers like Alonso and Schumacher as alumni ensure more fiery discussions, as they are two of the most polarizing drivers on the grid. Often Ferrari threads are just opened as bashing sessions which helps nobody, so they do get locked more often then say a Force India thread.

Myself, I have no allegiance to any one driver or team, as there is little point in a sport as inbred as F1. MX_Tifosi is obviously a Ferrari fan. I think Ferrari being an often locked subject is true, but the cause in my mind is not the moderators, it's the subject matter and nature of the posts.

SO I would say, and this is from experience, that it is the subject matter and heat of posters that get these threads locked, not the mods bias.

Cause and effect.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

nipo

Quite serious allegations. I personally have not noticed it, but maybe I wasn't following closely enough (particularly because I'm on the "wrong" timezone so when I wake up the action tends to have finished). Anyway I'd love to see the regulars come in and voice their opinions and, if possible, proof.

bean

"Quite serious allegations".
It is not something I say lightly or with the intention of being controversial. It is just something I have noticed happening consistently, especially for me, whenever a thread seems to be getting "interesting" or "entertaining"
Who is the greater fool, the idiot or the wise man who continues to argue with him?

Pandamasque

bean wrote:I do not expect this topic to be around for long :(
For starters, it could be opened in the appropriate forum section. And I'm saying that purely out of Ferrari bias, of course.

bean

So it can be hidden where no one sees it?

That's just another form of censorship. Not as obvious and more subtle granted. Hasn't moving this thread just proved my point?

mx_tifoso

:lol:

I have just moved this thread to the appropriate section, which is "Site announcements and support', is it visible on the home page? Yes. Only the topics in the 'Off Topic' section are hidden from the main page. Check yourself before you wreck yourself! :wink:

And Giblet has pretty much summed up the moderator actions. If a discussion is heated and out of control or disruptful, which of course is up to our discretion to judge, it will be locked or cleaned up. It's just rather unfortunate that those type of threads are usually about either Ferrari, Hamilton, Max Mosely, something political/racial, etc.

It's quite simple.

P.S. If Ferrari isn't capitalized you will get an official warning, but we'll let it slide this time. This goes for any post or title content within the forum.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

nipo

bean wrote:"Quite serious allegations".
It is not something I say lightly or with the intention of being controversial. It is just something I have noticed happening consistently, especially for me, whenever a thread seems to be getting "interesting" or "entertaining"
I'm sorry if I offended you. In no way was I suggesting you as saying this lightly or trying to be controversial. I was merely pointing out that I personally might have missed out on the "action", and there might be others out there like myself, so it would be beneficial and fair to everyone if more people (particularly regulars) could come out and say something about this. Better still if there are examples.

Bottom line is, you would agree that accusing mods of being biased means the integrity of the forum is questioned. That's the "seriousness" of the allegations you put forward, but by pointing that out I did not mean to doubt your observations. Not at all.

bean

No worries. No offense taken :)

bean

"I have just moved this thread to the appropriate section"

Whatever, I know I'm not going to win on this but I fail to see what the topic of this thread has to do with "announcements & support" :(

mx_tifoso

It's not about winning, but since the topic is about the website moderation where else should it belong? F1? Other racing series? Aero? Get the idea now? :)
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bean

"where else should it belong"

"General" where I originally posted it?

No need to reply :) just a joke

WhiteBlue

The power that be of this web site surely have an Alonso and Ferrari bias in my view.

There are plenty of reasons not to like the arrogance of the Italian duke and his red super team. He constantly claims to have a right of ultimate judgement what F1 should do or not do. Just yesterday he publicly said on the Geneva motor show that the F1 rules are all wrong. He said that same thing when allegedly Max Mosley enjoyed his "evil dictatorship" over F1. But now that FOTA almost entirely is in charge of the rule making he has the same complaints.

Monte and Ferrari do not accept any rule setting power but their own as legitimate. What does it tell us about them? Simply spoken F1 needs to be dictated by Ferrari to satisfy the power hunger of Montezemolo.

I do not expect the F1t PTB to ever sympathise with our criticism of that attitude and so I fully expect that the threads concerning these issues will continue to be closed.
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 04 Mar 2011, 05:29, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)