F1 at 1500FPS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
alelanza
alelanza

Re: F1 at 1500FPS

Very nice. I was also hoping to see the slo mo of Alonso getting the car back out of the gravel during qualifying, it was very nice to see, while less technical it had 'cool' written all over it. So in case anyone comes across it, please post it :)
Alejandro L.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Jon124 wrote:The driver makes a difference, but it's a very small one. Two good drivers will always be within a tenth of each other.
Uh, that sounds like a mighty big stretch. What are you basing this comment on?
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

PlatinumZealot

I think the difference between drivers also depends on the difficulty of the track. E.g If the track was an oval track, the two drivers will post almost the same time. That better driver will make the difference on a track with more turns and higher difficulty. I don't know about the time difference though.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

tk421

Jersey Tom wrote:
Jon124 wrote:The driver makes a difference, but it's a very small one. Two good drivers will always be within a tenth of each other.
Uh, that sounds like a mighty big stretch. What are you basing this comment on?
:roll: two good drivers will do similar times in the same car e.g. webber and vettel are usually a couple tenths apart, sometimes webber is faster sometimes vettel is faster. opposed to this is alonso and piquet where alonso is always faster and by a bigger chunk of time. i would say his comment is not baseless, and it's not a stretch at all.
Best regards. I guess this explains why I'm not at my post!

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Lewis is faster than Vettel in the slow stuff!!!! Your kidding right?

Honestly that is one single comparison on one corner over a whole weekend. Absolutley nothing can be gleamed from that piece of video other than Lewis went through that particular corner on that particular occasion faster.

Also earlier comments about a driver having more input into slow corners than fast ones is, in my opinion, untrue. You are always going to be dictated by your car, regardless of the nature of the track. The Macca has good mechanical grip relative to its opposition, so its natural that teh car will be strong on such corners. Compare it to a car that is the opposite, say the Toyota.

Looking at that comparison and saying Lewis is better in the slow stuff would then be suggesting that he is abismal through the rest of the track as he was slower than Vettel overall. To make any real judgment on a comparison you would need multiple bits of footage, knowledge of fuel loads, current reaason for lap (ie testing, quali sim, race set up) and so forth.

All we can summise from that is, gee look at the different lines...hmm looks cool.

ringo

Yep you are right in some sense but it does make for some good conversation.
We will never have all the data required to say outright who is faster.
The video editor knew what he was doing when he compiled this video and he got what he wanted. Its very provactive and its red meat for the Vettel or Lewis fans.
But Lewis is the more exciting driver anyway :mrgreen:
For Sure!!

SoliRossi
SoliRossi

Fair call ringo. I suppose thats what makes these f1 forums tick and helps us get through the gaps between races.

All of the judgment calls aside, its a brilliant technology.

PlatinumZealot

SoliRossi wrote:Lewis is faster than Vettel in the slow stuff!!!! Your kidding right?

All days and twice on Sundays. :mrgreen:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

ISLAMATRON

Word!

Professor
Professor

I think the truth is that it is impossible to design for all of the vaiables: the shakes, bumps, wiggles, and deformations in a track's surface.

Instead, you design for the parts of the track where the most time can be won or lost. Sometimes here and sometimes there.

Someone said in a post above (sorry, I do not know who) that the flex tests are done static. That is true. A defined force in nutons is applied in a specific direction and the deflection in mm is measured. If the component passes that test, it is legal.

Under racing loads, the effects and deformations to the wings are not measurable. But, wiggles, shakes, and deformations in twisty bits are not desired because they can not be engineered. Too many variables. In the slow bits, drivers must compensate for the variables.

So do and some don't.

The wings are more stable in fast corners, and their performance can be engineered.