2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 14:59
LionsHeart wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 12:54
mwillems wrote:
15 Mar 2024, 18:01
Great article. Still pointing to the idea that the car cannot maintain a seal on the floor at lower speeds due to the airflow from the front interacting with weaker vortices trying to seal the floor. I'm willing to increase my bet from 600 Rubles to 650 Rubles :D

"At highspeed, there is little yaw in the car and the defining force is focused on the nose of the car. But at lower speeds, there becomes a point when the aero load shifts and begins to attack the car from the side relative to its direction of travel, with the front wheels playing a significant factor in the airflow over the car."

“There’s another element, which is the ride heights,” he added.

“In low speed, the car is high [from the ground]. In highspeed, very, very close to the ground.

“So I would say these yaw aspects, and the right heights, are the two most fundamental elements of differentiating why cars can be good in high speed or low speed.”
What is the point of the bet? It says a lot of what I, you and Small Soldier said earlier. Who were you going to argue with? :)

I'll even add: I'm very glad that there are many smart guys here on the forum who can determine the true causes of problems without the help of frank comments on behalf of the team.

mwillems, why not 765? There's more downforce there.😁
I'm just being daft, the bet was around Ferrari and Mclaren fighting it out. I know that you agree with me on the issues with the front and tyre wake.
Well, I said earlier that I would be happy if this fight takes place. But I'm not sure about it myself.

_cerber1

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Thank you. It’s surprising that the shifts take place at 11400-11600 rpm. Previously, I remember, they turned it up to 12000-12500 rpm. Apparently this is due to both fuel and optimization of the engine itself.

De Wet

genarro
genarro

all quiet on the news front...

De Wet

genarro wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 13:11

I Really miss the good old days of one week of testing & one week of racing...

genarro
genarro

De Wet wrote:
18 Mar 2024, 16:04
genarro wrote:

U and me both mate..

BMMR61

De Wet wrote:
genarro wrote:

I'd have thought that somewhere between the current three days just before the season's start, to the anything goes extravagance of the old days. It's great that F1 team ownership can now seriously be seen as a profitable venture even though the level playing field isn't quite as level as we hoped. Anyway.....

Another piece of the jigsaw this weekend will reveal more about the whether evolutionary 38 can foot it with Ferrari at some circuits. I suspect there's still quite a bit of learning about what they have and how best to deploy it before we get into serious upgrade paths. The apparent lack of effective stalling of the aero in DRS is probably the biggest concern as this wasn't really an issue late last year.

Tomsky
Tomsky

"Not in terms of understanding the root cause, we do understand the root cause but it is taking a few weeks to deliver the projects that would address it," Stella told media including RacingNews365 if it was concerning that the MCL38 is not quite the package Norris and Piastri require.
"Definitely some of the projects have to do with an area of the car, I won't say which area, but it hasn't been improved very much since last year, and effectively, this one is the same as last year.
"Hopefully soon, we will be able to deliver these new components, I won't say which components, but we see in development that it will help, but we haven't delivered it trackside yet.
"If we didn't see it in background development, I would be concerned, but we will see the improvement.
"We need to accelerate the process to deliver trackside. It will be a few more races, but hopefully it will be within the first third of the season [before Monaco]."
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-urged ... t=12940314

De Wet

BMMR61 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 01:22
De Wet wrote:
genarro wrote:

I'd have thought that somewhere between the current three days just before the season's start, to the anything goes extravagance of the old days. It's great that F1 team ownership can now seriously be seen as a profitable venture even though the level playing field isn't quite as level as we hoped. Anyway.....

Another piece of the jigsaw this weekend will reveal more about the whether evolutionary 38 can foot it with Ferrari at some circuits. I suspect there's still quite a bit of learning about what they have and how best to deploy it before we get into serious upgrade paths.
The apparent lack of effective stalling of the aero in DRS is probably the biggest concern as this wasn't really an issue late last year.

Agreed... Very disappointing... Hope they can fix it with Imola upgrades...

Vanja #66

BMMR61 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 01:22
The apparent lack of effective stalling of the aero in DRS is probably the biggest concern as this wasn't really an issue late last year.
The lame-stream motorsport media managed to sell this nonsense to the general public, but the truth is - there is no DRS stall on Red Bull or any other car. :)

RB cars have an exceptionally large RW flap angle on all wings. The flap is maximised on frontal area and is also highly cambered and all of this means the flap is generating an exceptional amount of drag with DRS off. With DRS on, flap is turned to its minimal drag position, thus shedding the most drag of all cars. It's quite evident from this great angle Fabrega caught.

Contrary to that, McLaren had less drag to shed with DRS with the wing used in Jeddah. While they were up there with RB on some straights in the race (depending on harvesting/deployment strategies), they were losing more in Q because of DRS flap design. Ultimately, they also had a bigger wing overall and they weren't going to beat RB on Top Speed in Jeddah with it.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

the EDGE
the EDGE

Testing allocations are always quoted as Runs Per Week

Does this mean teams have to use these runs in a week, or can unused runs be saved up for a later date, like no runs one week, and twice as many another week?

If so, is it possible McLaren cut down on development before January 1st, to save development resources for when Sanchez & Marshall started?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

the EDGE wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 23:07
Testing allocations are always quoted as Runs Per Week

Does this mean teams have to use these runs in a week, or can unused runs be saved up for a later date, like no runs one week, and twice as many another week?

If so, is it possible McLaren cut down on development before January 1st, to save development resources for when Sanchez & Marshall started?
Most likely this is what was done. Having placed the main emphasis on developing the chassis and suspension, they decided to leave aerodynamics for later. Of course, this may be a rough guess, but there is some possibility of it happening.

f1rules
f1rules

My quess would be frontwing, hasnt been updated for a very long time and same as last year. Its complicated, expensive and you want be sure that it works, also im sure they wanted to start of the season with a known fw and known flow structures, instead of a new design, on top of a new car, and new windtunnel
Tomsky wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 05:22
"Not in terms of understanding the root cause, we do understand the root cause but it is taking a few weeks to deliver the projects that would address it," Stella told media including RacingNews365 if it was concerning that the MCL38 is not quite the package Norris and Piastri require.
"Definitely some of the projects have to do with an area of the car, I won't say which area, but it hasn't been improved very much since last year, and effectively, this one is the same as last year.
"Hopefully soon, we will be able to deliver these new components, I won't say which components, but we see in development that it will help, but we haven't delivered it trackside yet.

"If we didn't see it in background development, I would be concerned, but we will see the improvement.
"We need to accelerate the process to deliver trackside. It will be a few more races, but hopefully it will be within the first third of the season [before Monaco]."
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-urged ... t=12940314

CjC
CjC

More suggestion that it’s going to be the front wing to be upgraded next
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... ntil-2025/
Just a fan's point of view