2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dialtone
dialtone

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

ringo wrote:I think it's too early to say how much better the sf24 is on tyres. The 3 races so far have not been representative. The teams are still learning the new cars. Also with only Mclaren behind them by some margin, Ferrari are able to not use the tyres so hard. They know they wont catch rb20 and thr know the mcl38 wont catch them. Compared to last year when they were trying to stave off mclaren and mercedes and Aston.
Not saying the car is average as its an improvement over last year, but i am not convinced it is kinder to its tyres until see them push or being pushed.
Ferrari has been very conservative with the car so far. Easily the team running the biggest wing of the front 3 in each race. If there’s a team that can run it harder it’s them.

scuderiabrandon

dialtone wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 08:53
ringo wrote:I think it's too early to say how much better the sf24 is on tyres. The 3 races so far have not been representative. The teams are still learning the new cars. Also with only Mclaren behind them by some margin, Ferrari are able to not use the tyres so hard. They know they wont catch rb20 and thr know the mcl38 wont catch them. Compared to last year when they were trying to stave off mclaren and mercedes and Aston.
Not saying the car is average as its an improvement over last year, but i am not convinced it is kinder to its tyres until see them push or being pushed.
Ferrari has been very conservative with the car so far. Easily the team running the biggest wing of the front 3 in each race. If there’s a team that can run it harder it’s them.
Opening portions of stints have been the difference between Ferrari/Red Bull. That's perhaps where we need to find a bit more time, maybe trade it for slightly higher deg at the end of stints. Also feel like if we can get the cars in front of Max on Saturdays he might not have it as easy either.

bluechris

scuderiabrandon wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 08:58
dialtone wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 08:53
Opening portions of stints have been the difference between Ferrari/Red Bull. That's perhaps where we need to find a bit more time, maybe trade it for slightly higher deg at the end of stints. Also feel like if we can get the cars in front of Max on Saturdays he might not have it as easy either.
That is a crucial part because with that he will be on dirty air which is something that his tyres will not like. All this years Ferrari hunts with the caveats that this thing bring.. i hope they will be more aggresive in the upcoming races to get in front with a car that is much better now.

Farnborough
Farnborough

dia6olo wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 04:15
dialtone wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 03:08
Farnborough wrote: "Looking at a F1-75 that was awful on inters vs an RB18 which loved them is not fair in my opinion."

That was, at that GP part of the performance in overall finishing positions though.

And subsequently, that quality will be part of future races. My point is that the combination that weekend saw the RB MV performance easily outstrip all others consummately, none of driver preference.

For reference, my view is they are both brilliant to watch drive a car fast, but their approach in how they move the car around has considerable contrast from one to the other. That can and does yeald different performance pace across variation in circumstances.

We'll soon get another view to then judge a little more during the next race.
You think that difference in tire management of the past 2 seasons was Max?

I thought you said this is a technical forum. These are the type of evaluations that end up with people talking Max down because his fans think he’s the one carrying the car around the track while making engine noises with his mouth.

Max has never been particularly good at tire management. British press calls Checo the tire whisperer. Vettel did a one stopper in Bahrain with Ferrari to win the race in 2018, on 39 laps when tires were supposed to last 30, he’s good but that car was amazing to its tires.

Max has had a superior car, just like Leclerc didn’t magically turn into a driver that saves tires and places fast laps at the end of his races after one year but instead the SF-24 is just better.

Let’s be serious.
Exactly this!
It never ceases to amaze me how some drivers are elevated to silly levels by some while completely ignoring the car which is responsible for the vast majority of it :roll:
I feel you're both making assumptions about what I've written, then overlaying a formulaic view onto that.

To make it clear, I originally commented about those tires in image because of CL in this team thread.

I'm no "fan" of any particular driver, like watching fast one's of which CL is absolutely one of the best to watch. The start of 2022 was particularly good in that respect, in that car. I feel CL is possibly the fastest absolute current driver in championship.

Core of what I'm saying is that different drivers do have different accent and focus on just how they move a car around, and particularly when grip changes, as it did for that GP.

CL and the type of driver tbat absolutely drives the front tires with utter confidence that they'll grip, is in purest terms often the fastest driver around a circuit, given that the grip remains predictable and tires are reasonably constant.

MV on the other hand I dont feel can ultimately match that utter pure pace in those circumstances. Partly evidenced by CL Q record in bringing his car to pole. MV style is more turn and bring the chassis into a more constant yaw through fast corner, which relieves the front tire of some stress, reduces absolute corner pace a little BUT and heres one of the biggest difference, leaves more margin to cope with variation as grip diminishes with wet etc.

I'd put CL in with Kimi Räikkönen, Massa, Hakkinen etc as that type. Blistering in speed, but generally less able to cope with reduction in pure grip.

On the other hand, MV, LH and Schumacher are in a more "rally" style driver, less pure in absolute track terms and with peak slightly slower than first group, BUT in coping with a season over which all the variables play out, will often end as champion. Their pace is usually noticeably higher in difficult conditions, and with more margin this technique gives at the point of letting go, generally less likely to stuff it and take themselves out of race. Or simply forced to lower pace in avoid that scenario.

For CL specifically, and this over a season (not commentary on him as person) a car that holds a peak in excess to competitor by decent margin, to allow it's lowest point performance to remain competitive with the others, like Hakkinen championship years, is required to "contain" those compromised race performances in aggregated points score.

This plays out in this era, significantly so, as the tires are so difficult to bring and hold in a performance loop that can capture CL speed through enough of a race to use his natural pace.

The tire changes in size, weight, compound, all to support bigger heavier cars, with higher torque delivery, overlay that with reduction in tire blanket temperature peak, v-strict monitoring of in race pressure, lower rear temp capture from brake disc output to rim etc all go toward moving the tire performance away from a driver like CL and to his detriment.
The result of this we've seen in struggles of Ferrari so far, its nearly all about tire and keeping it within that very definite peak to be able to utilise CL peak speed. That's fearsomely difficult to do, as we've seen so far.

We'll get a read on that in Japan, especially if it's wet, and realitively against MV again, if we're lucky.

Notice that many recent championships have gone to the most adaptable driver, MS, LH & MV they may not have the absolute purist fastest dry race peak, but coping with shifts in grip /conditions over the whole season will often outweigh the fastest driver in the field.

This is substantially a period in which a "rally" type driving bias, my assessment of leaving just enough contingency to hang onto pace in poor track condition, seems to hold sway.

It's going to be interesting to see next year's two Ferrari drivers against each other with, I feel opposing attributes, in the same car.

Next weekend, hoping its going to be really close in performance, but if wet as predicted, I'd not be surprised of outcome.

Also we didn't get to see the true head to head of these two Ferrari against MV & RB in last race to assess exactly current status.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Farnborough wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 10:39
I feel you're both making assumptions about what I've written, then overlaying a formulaic view onto that.

To make it clear, I originally commented about those tires in image because of CL in this team thread.

I'm no "fan" of any particular driver, like watching fast one's of which CL is absolutely one of the best to watch. The start of 2022 was particularly good in that respect, in that car. I feel CL is possibly the fastest absolute current driver in championship.

Core of what I'm saying is that different drivers do have different accent and focus on just how they move a car around, and particularly when grip changes, as it did for that GP.

CL and the type of driver tbat absolutely drives the front tires with utter confidence that they'll grip, is in purest terms often the fastest driver around a circuit, given that the grip remains predictable and tires are reasonably constant.

MV on the other hand I dont feel can ultimately match that utter pure pace in those circumstances. Partly evidenced by CL Q record in bringing his car to pole. MV style is more turn and bring the chassis into a more constant yaw through fast corner, which relieves the front tire of some stress, reduces absolute corner pace a little BUT and heres one of the biggest difference, leaves more margin to cope with variation as grip diminishes with wet etc.

I'd put CL in with Kimi Räikkönen, Massa, Hakkinen etc as that type. Blistering in speed, but generally less able to cope with reduction in pure grip.

On the other hand, MV, LH and Schumacher are in a more "rally" style driver, less pure in absolute track terms and with peak slightly slower than first group, BUT in coping with a season over which all the variables play out, will often end as champion. Their pace is usually noticeably higher in difficult conditions, and with more margin this technique gives at the point of letting go, generally less likely to stuff it and take themselves out of race. Or simply forced to lower pace in avoid that scenario.

For CL specifically, and this over a season (not commentary on him as person) a car that holds a peak in excess to competitor by decent margin, to allow it's lowest point performance to remain competitive with the others, like Hakkinen championship years, is required to "contain" those compromised race performances in aggregated points score.

This plays out in this era, significantly so, as the tires are so difficult to bring and hold in a performance loop that can capture CL speed through enough of a race to use his natural pace.

The tire changes in size, weight, compound, all to support bigger heavier cars, with higher torque delivery, overlay that with reduction in tire blanket temperature peak, v-strict monitoring of in race pressure, lower rear temp capture from brake disc output to rim etc all go toward moving the tire performance away from a driver like CL and to his detriment.
The result of this we've seen in struggles of Ferrari so far, its nearly all about tire and keeping it within that very definite peak to be able to utilise CL peak speed. That's fearsomely difficult to do, as we've seen so far.

We'll get a read on that in Japan, especially if it's wet, and realitively against MV again, if we're lucky.

Notice that many recent championships have gone to the most adaptable driver, MS, LH & MV they may not have the absolute purist fastest dry race peak, but coping with shifts in grip /conditions over the whole season will often outweigh the fastest driver in the field.

This is substantially a period in which a "rally" type driving bias, my assessment of leaving just enough contingency to hang onto pace in poor track condition, seems to hold sway.

It's going to be interesting to see next year's two Ferrari drivers against each other with, I feel opposing attributes, in the same car.

Next weekend, hoping its going to be really close in performance, but if wet as predicted, I'd not be surprised of outcome.

Also we didn't get to see the true head to head of these two Ferrari against MV & RB in last race to assess exactly current status.
Very difficult to take anything from your analysis here, you study these drivers driving very different cars as if they behave the same and extrapolate them as if it implies pure driver stylistic elements. Specifically in context of tyre wear.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I just feel that the two driving style will favour different circumstances.

The purest, with very high tire repeatability requirement will on less occasion take the major points. That because tge tires won't often be optimum for long enough.

The slightly more circumspect style, will capitalise in this era of much tire uncertainty to gather a larger haul over the season. Especially when wet condition arrives.

These regulation are a big hindrance to a driver of CL skill type, brilliant to watch, v-hard for him and team to pull the chassis tire combination into his sphere consistently

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Farnborough wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 11:50

The purest, with very high tire repeatability requirement will on less occasion take the major points. That because tge tires won't often be optimum for long enough.

The slightly more circumspect style, will capitalise in this era of much tire uncertainty to gather a larger haul over the season. Especially when wet condition arrives.

These regulation are a big hindrance to a driver of CL skill type, brilliant to watch, v-hard for him and team to pull the chassis tire combination into his sphere consistently
I guess we have a fundamental difference in our perspective of the matrix of driver, car and tyre performance :D. But to further explore this, how do you square the Sainz circle? I wouldn't consider Sainz and Leclerc to have same driving "skill type" as you put it, but both exhibited similar tyre deg and life, even often falling in favor of Leclerc.

Andres125sx

MattLightBlue wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 12:29
Andres125sx wrote:
28 Mar 2024, 12:04
suki99 wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 22:57
Could it also be for preventing engine temperatures to go high, in a race moment in which extreme performance was not required?
Posibly, but overheating PU while leading the race is not that easy, on clean air there should be no problem if they didn´t fail on cooling vents configuration. And if they did, Leclerc should have had a much bigger problem while racing on dirty air, as cooling configuration is normally the same for both cars.

I still think it should be more related to brakes, but who knows

Farnborough
Farnborough

CaribouBread wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 13:20
Farnborough wrote:
29 Mar 2024, 11:50

I guess we have a fundamental difference in our perspective of the matrix of driver, car and tyre performance :D. But to further explore this, how do you square the Sainz circle? I wouldn't consider Sainz and Leclerc to have same driving "skill type" as you put it, but both exhibited similar tyre deg and life, even often falling in favor of Leclerc.
I'd answer that with a don't know :D as we've not seen CS in a front running car situation as long as CL & MV as he's passed through notably different team / chassis situation fairly continuously.
Tentatively, more toward CL mould than other direction, along with doing a very good job in recognition within himself what he has to do to execute at his current level over last calendar year. A little Chameleon like in adaption and recognition of his understanding of the need a chassis etc demands.

For me, every time it's wet or marginal, the driver type with less absolute reliance on front tire performance seems to rise or occupy very high performance. As the other emphasis, relatively, slips back generally. This typically shows how a driver in this skill emphasis naturally balances the chassis by input with driving emphasis.
It's important to note, I don't think this type holds the upper hand in pure and absolute pace over a driver that can enact an absolute peak lap pace.

ispano6

Apology if a repost:
“We made a huge step forward,” he said. “Perhaps on the pace of one lap, it’s true that we were not nowhere last year on one-lap pace.

“But where we made a huge step I think it’s more on the consistency between the two compounds. Between one stint and the other one, the car is much easier to drive.”

“What is true is that last year, the main issue was the fact that the car was very difficult to drive into the race,” said Vasseur. “Then you had to do a step [in the pace], you were doing mistakes, damaging the tyres. And then it’s kind of negative spiral.

“This year, it’s much easier I think to read for them, to know where is the limit, and to stay just a bit below. And when you have to go to tyre management, it’s much, much easier.
https://thejudge13.com/2024/03/29/ferra ... provement/

Xyz22
Xyz22

20 years since our last win in Suzuka (18 in an ideal world that unfortunately doesn't exist).

f1316
f1316

Xyz22 wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 15:43
20 years since our last win in Suzuka (18 in an ideal world that unfortunately doesn't exist).
The last two races of 2006 still haunt me - Suzuka was in the bag, fastest car by a mile in Brazil, somehow we gave away the championship. Would have been the perfect send off for Michael and so strange that there was unreliability twice in a row in that era.

Anyway, for 2024, motorsport still maintain Ferrari are trying to fast track the full Imola upgrade:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10593364/

“A major upgrade has been planned for the Imola round in May with only a small aerodynamic development to be introduced for the next race at Suzuka, but the Scuderia is trying to bring it all sooner, potentially as early as the Japanese Grand Prix.”

I have a nasty feeling Red Bull will bring something significant so it would be a great sign of Fred’s new regime if they could pull something like this off.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

As someone who started watching F1 in 2004, I've come to dread this circuit. By far my least favourite weekend of the year. I would unironically rather watch Valencia. Or Abu Dhabi.
It requires three things from the car: good tyre wear, good front end and lots of power.

Since 2005, Ferrari have never had even 2 of those on this circuit, let alone 3.

f1316
f1316

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 19:38
As someone who started watching F1 in 2004, I've come to dread this circuit. By far my least favourite weekend of the year. I would unironically rather watch Valencia. Or Abu Dhabi.
It requires three things from the car: good tyre wear, good front end and lots of power.

Since 2005, Ferrari have never had even 2 of those on this circuit, let alone 3.
Well, as above, 2006 we definitely had all of them but that’s another story. We would also have been strong here on 2007/08 but there was no Suzuka.

I know what you mean nevertheless. I think we can be the second force here this weekend, ahead of McLaren, and that’s a big step vs only a few months ago. I’m intrigued to see the actual difference in laptime given how recent it was.

Sevach
Sevach

f1316 wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 19:14
Xyz22 wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 15:43
The last two races of 2006 still haunt me - Suzuka was in the bag, fastest car by a mile in Brazil, somehow we gave away the championship. Would have been the perfect send off for Michael and so strange that there was unreliability twice in a row in that era.

It was also the fastest car by a mile in Brazil, Felipe proved as much.