2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Kamel
Kamel

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Will it be possible to lure other leading engineers from RBR?

xReVo
xReVo

diffuser wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 07:25
KimiRai wrote:
25 Apr 2024, 22:41
Imo even if Newey joins Ferrari (which I see as most likely), it's a good thing for Fernando that he leaves. Firstly because it weakens the strongest rival and secondly because he might take time to work due to gardening, so there could be a margin where no one will benefit from Newey at the start of the regulations cycle, neither Red Bull nor Ferrari.
Has anyone wondered how long his gardening leave would be? 2 years? RBR have been known to be very restrictive with contracts we no loop holes. So maybe 2027 ... He'd be 68...

Nobody find it strange that he announced he's leaving but not where he's going? So maybe BS or maybe retirement?
I still read a lot .... in this forum. But wake up guys. If Newey joins Ferrari, Ferrari wins in 2025 and 2026 end of discussion.

KimiRai
KimiRai

xReVo wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:33
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
Imo even if Newey joins Ferrari (which I see as most likely), it's a good thing for Fernando that he leaves. Firstly because it weakens the strongest rival and secondly because he might take time to work due to gardening, so there could be a margin where no one will benefit from Newey at the start of the regulations cycle, neither Red Bull nor Ferrari.
Has anyone wondered how long his gardening leave would be? 2 years? RBR have been known to be very restrictive with contracts we no loop holes. So maybe 2027 ... He'd be 68...

Nobody find it strange that he announced he's leaving but not where he's going? So maybe BS or maybe retirement?
I still read a lot .... in this forum. But wake up guys. If Newey joins Ferrari, Ferrari wins in 2025 and 2026 end of discussion.
2025 seems very difficult. And for the 2026 car perhaps, though he would have to start working in 2025 which might not be possible depending on how the contract stuff turns out. If for example he started working for Ferrari at the end of 2025 the car would be well advanced by then. But I do agree that Ferrari would win with Newey.
Last edited by KimiRai on 26 Apr 2024, 11:56, edited 12 times in total.

xReVo
xReVo

KimiRai wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:36
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

How can Newey help Ferrari win in 2025? That seems out of the question. 2026 perhaps is going to be difficult as well depending on how the contract stuff works out.
Just talk in any communication medium to communicate your ideas and avoid gardening, sending data etc. And in my opinion they will even make an agreement to have it work at least in the 2026 regulations.

wiktor977
wiktor977

-wkst- wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 08:12
What speaks for AMR:
- best money offer
- totally freedom
- only some minutes away from current work
- Honda
- Alonso
- Dan Fallows
- making history with the team that haven't won WC yet

jofs89
jofs89

xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

That seems a little reductionist don't you think??..

So Newey is only one that has led to RBs success? Sure, he's a great mind and designer, but come on... Also, his impact is the result of multiple years of evolution and being embedded in the culture and working practices for a long time.

It is not some instantaneous thing where the month he starts working at a new team he magically transforms the place. He'll need to bed into current processes, evolve certain things etc. He is a human being, not some sort of omnipotent overlord.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great asset to any team and will very much improve their chances of success but I just don't think he's some magic silver bullet. Look at Ferrari, they have had Rory Byrne as a consultant for many recent years (the guy that designed the Schumacher dominating cars) and that didn't magically make them win the championship.

jofs89
jofs89

jofs89 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:49
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

So Newey is only one that has led to RBs success? Sure, he's a great mind and designer, but come on... Also, his impact is the result of multiple years of evolution and being embedded in the culture and working practices for a long time.

It is not some instantaneous thing where the month he starts working at a new team he magically transforms the place. He'll need to bed into current processes, evolve certain things etc. He is a human being, not some sort of omnipotent overlord.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great asset to any team and will very much improve their chances of success but I just don't think he's some magic silver bullet. Look at Ferrari, they have had Rory Byrne as a consultant for many recent years (the guy that designed the Schumacher dominating cars) and that didn't magically make them win the championship.
EDIT - I'm not saying Ferrari won't win the championship in 2025 and 2026. Their trajectory is pretty decent so they might, but this wouldn't be attributed to getting Newey working for them next year imo.

xReVo
xReVo

jofs89 wrote:
xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:

In your opinion, why do all the teams want him and would do anything crazy to get him? It's not just him clearly working, but it's the direction he makes the engineers take that changes things. As I already wrote in a previous post he won in every team he went to, Williams, McLaren, Hakkinen's two world championships and Redbull, all the cars he made. The year after he left, Williams didn't do anything anymore. Even in 2022 he was the only one to predict poirpoising. So yes it is a magic wand, the history of F1 says this and we cannot contradict it. With Red bull he did not win from 2014 to 2020 for two reasons: 1. because he was not satisfied with the regulations and no longer dedicated himself to the car full time (it seems to me that in that period he was designing a sailing boat) 2. because the engine didn't have enough power. With this I close by saying that if Ferrari takes him, I reiterate that he will win next year and in 2026

Cs98
Cs98

xReVo wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 11:59
jofs89 wrote:
xReVo wrote:

In your opinion, why do all the teams want him and would do anything crazy to get him? It's not just him clearly working, but it's the direction he makes the engineers take that changes things. As I already wrote in a previous post he won in every team he went to, Williams, McLaren, Hakkinen's two world championships and Redbull, all the cars he made. The year after he left, Williams didn't do anything anymore. Even in 2022 he was the only one to predict poirpoising. So yes it is a magic wand, the history of F1 says this and we cannot contradict it. With Red bull he did not win from 2014 to 2020 for two reasons: 1. because he was not satisfied with the regulations and no longer dedicated himself to the car full time (it seems to me that in that period he was designing a sailing boat) 2. because the engine didn't have enough power. With this I close by saying that if Ferrari takes him, I reiterate that he will win next year and in 2026
This is like F1 twitter in a comment. Waive the magic Newey wand and you win immediately. That's not how this sport works, you will learn, in time.

xReVo
xReVo

Cs98 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 12:05
xReVo wrote:
jofs89 wrote:

This is like F1 twitter in a comment. Waive the magic Newey wand and you win immediately. That's not how this sport works, you will learn, in time.
Yes, in fact, look at the history of F1 and see how long it took him to win in the teams he went to😂. Only Redbull took 4 years because she had just entered F1, let alone Ferrari which has enormous capacity. But please, you will learn what, accept the truth

Nikosar
Nikosar

Confirmed by Motorsport.com. : On his way out at Red Bull, Adrian Newey may find it impossible to join another team before 2027, unless an agreement can be reached to release him earlier.

On Thursday evening, Red Bull reiterated that the contract signed by Adrian Newey at the beginning of last year would commit him to working for the team until the end of the 2025 season. It also appears that clauses could prevent him from joining another structure within 12 months of the expiry of this lease, which would theoretically make any transfer impossible before 2027.

Such a delay would minimize the real impact the technician could have until the start of the 2028 season, when the teams are already looking ahead to the next regulatory cycle, which will begin two years earlier. By then, Adrian Newey will be approaching 70 years of age, and will probably be on the verge of retirement after a brilliant F1 career.

retirement is a very likely choice

Cs98
Cs98

xReVo wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 12:09
Cs98 wrote:
26 Apr 2024, 12:05
xReVo wrote:

Yes, in fact, look at the history of F1 and see how long it took him to win in the teams he went to😂. Only Redbull took 4 years because she had just entered F1, let alone Ferrari which has enormous capacity. But please, you will learn what, accept the truth
So let's ignore the most recent example which clearly disproves your reductionist theory :lol: The 4 year timeline at RB is a more realistic scenario than what we saw in the 90s. The sport has evolved massively in scale and complexity, it's more computing now than drawing, there are no one man shops anymore. Heck, Newey was even being phased out of RBR's F1 operation towards the hypercar project. That wouldn't happen if he was their sole guarantor of success. Not to mention the practical obstacle that is gardening leave, there's no way he gets to work on someone else's 2025 car even if he leaves today. He could be a force in 2026 and beyond, no sooner.

NAPI10
NAPI10

There is a possibility that Lance looking to move on & so does Lawrence -
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/billionaire ... -1.2065687

diffuser

xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

Not if he doesn't join before 2027.

makecry
makecry

xReVo wrote:
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

Here is a reality check - newey will not be able to work on 2025 or 2026 car unless they magically come up with a way to get rid of gardening leave.