Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: Mercedes W15

Luscion
Luscion

Farnborough
Farnborough

Stating in listed modifications that underfloor volume change to bring load further forwards with this new floor.

I believe this W15 is their best chassis yet under these regulation, but learning just how to bring adaption to it is behind the curve, so far, in comparison with peers.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see it more competitive later in this season I feel.

r85
r85

Farnborough wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:49
Stating in listed modifications that underfloor volume change to bring load further forwards with this new floor.

I believe this W15 is their best chassis yet under these regulation, but learning just how to bring adaption to it is behind the curve, so far, in comparison with peers.

It wouldn't be a surprise to see it more competitive later in this season I feel.
I think the W15 has balanced downforce, it's just too weak. But it's definitely a decent platform for them to build on top of.

maygun
maygun

r85 wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:59
Farnborough wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:49

I think the W15 has balanced downforce, it's just too weak. But it's definitely a decent platform for them to build on top of.
I think Allison said the main aim of this update is to fix the balance of the downforce/aeromap. Maybe as a chassis, it is a good platform but in terms of aero, it was not balanced so far leading to troubles in the corners (under steer in the entrance with following rear instability in the exit).

Stu

Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Matt2725
Matt2725

Well whatever the upgrades were meant to do, it's either made them slower or they've missed the mark on set up (again).

Venturiation
Venturiation

Matt2725 wrote:
03 May 2024, 23:12
Well whatever the upgrades were meant to do, it's either made them slower or they've missed the mark on set up (again).
They brought downgrades

PlatinumZealot

Toto said these upgrades are a step in performance..

A step backwards! :wtf:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AMG.Tzan

They’ve gone back and forth with this floor edge design a million times since 2022! That’s not new! They add multiple strakes and then they make it simpler again!

When are they going to add something new to this car? I get the feeling that the only thing that changed in 2024 are the sidepods and the suspension! The floor must have stayed the same, there’s no other explanation…

Same thing goes for the rear wings! 2 rear wing designs in 3 year…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

AMG.Tzan wrote:
04 May 2024, 15:41
They’ve gone back and forth with this floor edge design a million times since 2022! That’s not new! They add multiple strakes and then they make it simpler again!

When are they going to add something new to this car? I get the feeling that the only thing that changed in 2024 are the sidepods and the suspension! The floor must have stayed the same, there’s no other explanation…

Same thing goes for the rear wings! 2 rear wing designs in 3 year…
The problem is is aero isn’t additive, you can’t just add something new here or there and expect it to work. So, what you see are small detail changes, typically because they’re constrained by the flow field as designed by that year’s concept.

For big changes to work, you have to change everything, starting at the nose / front wing, and working backward. That just doesn't work in the cost cap era.

Furthermore, it doesn’t matter what they do if they have correlation issues, because it’s never going to be right. As I said before, no one purposely designs a bad car from the get go, and if there are correlation issues, you could argue Merc is trying to fix things they can’t see in CFD or the WT… they’re trying to fix things they can’t see which means the fix is never guaranteed.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 04 May 2024, 16:27, edited 1 time in total.

Luscion
Luscion

Merc unloaded their rear wing, got 4kmh faster with no drs and gained an extra 2kmh with it open

Vappy
Vappy

Luscion wrote:
05 May 2024, 14:01
Merc unloaded their rear wing, got 4kmh faster with no drs and gained an extra 2kmh with it open

Impressive

PlatinumZealot

So basically everyone else is getting 10km/hr, and Merc can only manage 4km/hr. Yup...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Luscion
Luscion

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2024, 21:39
So basically everyone else is getting 10km/hr, and Merc can only manage 4km/hr. Yup...
Its not that bad tbh, Merc are now on par with Red Bull and Ferrari in straight line speed in Miami, Mclaren got slower and only Stake and AM got close to an added 10kmh improvement