2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:39
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:26
LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 13:20

Nothing like this. The point is completely different, Lando completed a lap on the Medium in 1:27.597. A day later, Soft set the tires to 1:27.594. Either the track doesn't evolve, or Lando is right that they made a mistake with the settings.

The increase in speed between Friday and Saturday is very small. Moreover, it is even smaller between Q1 and Q3.
I disagree. We are still fast on the mediums, faster than most others I expect. The issue was with the softs and I expect the car to continue to be competitive here on the tyres that favour us.
I can agree with you that the soft tires quickly ran out of their operating range and were not suitable for the given conditions on the track. It's like that. Too hot and extreme for tires. There will be no problems with medium and hard in the race. But the reason is different: the track itself has become slower. All the cars drove slower. Usually it turns out the other way around, because cars progress in 1 year.

You yourself said about unrealistic expectations. My expectations were quite realistic and I saw that McLaren had halved the gap with Red Bull. Pole was not possible because the conditions for all cars were beyond the capabilities of the soft tyres. If we now lower the asphalt temperature to an acceptable 32-35 degrees Celsius, then McLaren will be in the top 2 in terms of race pace.
This year to last year is not relevant to this car, nor the comparison of the track surface, the only thing important is what is happening this weekend. The Mclaren puts too much heat into the tyres, meaning it struggled more on the softs than others. This disability will not be with us in the race. But there is no point arguing it, we have different opinions, we will see in 5 hours.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:48
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:26

I disagree. We are still fast on the mediums, faster than most others I expect. The issue was with the softs and I expect the car to continue to be competitive here on the tyres that favour us.
I can agree with you that the soft tires quickly ran out of their operating range and were not suitable for the given conditions on the track. It's like that. Too hot and extreme for tires. There will be no problems with medium and hard in the race. But the reason is different: the track itself has become slower. All the cars drove slower. Usually it turns out the other way around, because cars progress in 1 year.

You yourself said about unrealistic expectations. My expectations were quite realistic and I saw that McLaren had halved the gap with Red Bull. Pole was not possible because the conditions for all cars were beyond the capabilities of the soft tyres. If we now lower the asphalt temperature to an acceptable 32-35 degrees Celsius, then McLaren will be in the top 2 in terms of race pace.
This year to last year is not relevant to this car, nor the comparison of the track surface, the only thing important is what is happening this weekend. The Mclaren puts too much heat into the tyres, meaning it struggled more on the softs than others. This disability will not be with us in the race. But there is no point arguing it, we have different opinions, we will see in 5 hours.
What's the point? In the race we will not see soft tires on McLaren cars. Did I say somewhere that McLaren will be slow on harder tires?

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:57
mwillems wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:

What's the point? In the race we will not see soft tires on McLaren cars. Did I say somewhere that McLaren will be slow on harder tires?
I am giving you my reasons as to why this car can be competitive in the race. The mediums did not drop off from Friday to Saturday in pace. We have good deg at a competitive pace in the sprint race on the slower car with the slower race driver.

I expect Lando to be good today since the only tyre that has seen the car struggle is the soft and we still see the medium looks good for us on Friday and Saturday. For those reasons, I think we can have a positive race. That has been the only point I have been making, we only look slower on the softs and that pain is over for us now.

However, several posts ago you disagreed with my assessment that we still look decent here saying "Nothing like that" and now you seem confused that I explained why I think we are decent here.
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:00
We actually look decent here. It's possible we could get a podium.

But I think Sprint Qualifying gave off some unrealistic expectations.
Nothing like this. The point is completely different, Lando completed a lap on the Medium in 1:27.597. A day later, Soft set the tires to 1:27.594. Either the track doesn't evolve, or Lando is right that they made a mistake with the settings.

The increase in speed between Friday and Saturday is very small. Moreover, it is even smaller between Q1 and Q3.
Of course, we are yet to see if we struggle on full fuel, and on this point and I am carrying some optimism.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Do we think McLaren might try to make a M-S work for Lando since he's the only one in the top 10 with new a soft?

organic

Dafnalina wrote:
05 May 2024, 17:21

Do we think McLaren might try to make a M-S work for Lando since he's the only one in the top 10 with new a soft?
No because the hard tyre is really good here. By far the best tyre

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:

No, it'd be too easy to ruin that tyre quickly, especially if you're attacking or defending.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 17:08
LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 16:57
mwillems wrote:

I am giving you my reasons as to why this car can be competitive in the race. The mediums did not drop off from Friday to Saturday in pace. We have good deg at a competitive pace in the sprint race on the slower car with the slower race driver.

I expect Lando to be good today since the only tyre that has seen the car struggle is the soft and we still see the medium looks good for us on Friday and Saturday. For those reasons, I think we can have a positive race. That has been the only point I have been making, we only look slower on the softs and that pain is over for us now.

However, several posts ago you disagreed with my assessment that we still look decent here saying "Nothing like that" and now you seem confused that I explained why I think we are decent here.
LionsHeart wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 10:00
We actually look decent here. It's possible we could get a podium.

But I think Sprint Qualifying gave off some unrealistic expectations.

Of course, we are yet to see if we struggle on full fuel, and on this point and I am carrying some optimism.
I realized from your earlier answer that you misunderstood me. I just meant that the track itself did not become faster. It’s not that the medium drove slower a day later, no, it’s just that the car didn’t even drive faster towards the medium. The track itself seems to have stable characteristics and does not get faster day by day. This is what I brought to two times.

If I build on your previous message, where you wrote that it is not entirely correct to compare 2023 and 2024, good. So be it. But even between Friday and Saturday there was no evolution of the track. Lando drove slower in Q3 than he did in SQ2 on Friday. What is the reason? Has the track become slow? Incorrect settings? Did Lando drive his fastest lap more carefully? I don't know the answers. But I see the times of circles and draw conclusions.

My disagreement was not in the non-functioning soft tires, but in the track, which behaves atypically for Formula 1.

Other drivers were also unable to work properly. This is not a specific problem for McLaren. As for the racing pace on medium and hard tires, I have no questions. I never said anything that they would be slow in the race.

For even greater clarity, I’ll add that my response was to your second message, and not to the first, where you said about a possible podium and all that. Thank you for your understanding.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Dafnalina wrote:

Soft tires can fail on the first lap. It's risky. Medium-Hard is a win-win option in all respects for all 20 cars.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Could be a choice, but still too risky

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 17:46

I realized from your earlier answer that you misunderstood me. I just meant that the track itself did not become faster. It’s not that the medium drove slower a day later, no, it’s just that the car didn’t even drive faster towards the medium. The track itself seems to have stable characteristics and does not get faster day by day. This is what I brought to two times.

If I build on your previous message, where you wrote that it is not entirely correct to compare 2023 and 2024, good. So be it. But even between Friday and Saturday there was no evolution of the track. Lando drove slower in Q3 than he did in SQ2 on Friday. What is the reason? Has the track become slow? Incorrect settings? Did Lando drive his fastest lap more carefully? I don't know the answers. But I see the times of circles and draw conclusions.

My disagreement was not in the non-functioning soft tires, but in the track, which behaves atypically for Formula 1.

Other drivers were also unable to work properly. This is not a specific problem for McLaren. As for the racing pace on medium and hard tires, I have no questions. I never said anything that they would be slow in the race.

For even greater clarity, I’ll add that my response was to your second message, and not to the first, where you said about a possible podium and all that. Thank you for your understanding.
I didn't say anything about the track though :D

The track has got worse from year to year, but has rubbered in over the weekend, but you could see in Q3 that it had reached its peak already.

But it isn't Mclaren specific other than that we might have had a better Qualifying and Sprint Qualifying had the track been less abrasive, as we did seem to suffer more than others on the soft.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
05 May 2024, 18:39
LionsHeart wrote:
05 May 2024, 17:46

I didn't say anything about the track though :D

The track has got worse from year to year, but has rubbered in over the weekend, but you could see in Q3 that it had reached its peak already.

But it isn't Mclaren specific other than that we might have had a better Qualifying and Sprint Qualifying had the track been less abrasive, as we did seem to suffer more than others on the soft.
Ahh, indeed. You didn't say anything about the track. But mentioned the sprint qualification. :D Yes, I certainly haven’t forgotten that McLaren warms up the tires well and is capable of overheating them. I remember very well last season how quickly the tires wore out in Barcelona. True, even there Lando was able to drive one fast lap without problems, but the tires wore out quickly during the race.

I don't foresee any problems with race pace. So far I don’t see any prerequisites for this.

Darth-Piekus

Now that I calmed down from the shock I suppose third times the charm. Good luck to both of our drivers. We should be able to have the upper hand with the mediums and hards on the race in cooler conditions. I will be happy if we beat the two Ferraris and Perez.

CjC
CjC

Just a fan's point of view

willmesquita

Dafnalina wrote:

M-H

Keep a new soft to any kind of SC or RF.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

SilviuAgo

Norris urged caution against drawing definitive conclusions after just a handful of sessions on one track. Lando Norris says Miami isn’t the best circuit to gauge the full impact of McLaren’s MCL38 upgrade package. He suggested waiting for data gathered over multiple races to provide a more accurate evaluation of the MCL38’s upgrade package.

"I think you can never judge it on one session and one track. You have to see it on high downforce, low downforce and everything. People are too quick to judge everything from one weekend or one day or whatever."

"I think everyone just needs to be a bit more patient with everything and see what it's like over two weekends, three weekends before you start to judge."

"We have our answers of it's working, but to know the true extent of it and how well it performs in all different areas, that's when you have to wait over three races rather than just making a conclusion in one."