Ferrari F2006

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Steven
Owner

Ferrari F2006

There it is, the brand new Ferrari.

My first impressions:
- font suspension is for sure not a no-keel setup. Must have clearer pics to see what it is then.
- Notice the strange position of the rear view mirrors.
- In this view, the sidepods actually make me think of Jordan EJ15B sidepods.
- They still run with the midwing
- Also the bargeboards are just as with the F2005 equipped with rather original flipups.
Last edited by Steven on 16 Jan 2006, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Spencifer_Murphy

I have to admit..it looks a helluva lot better than the F2005....the F2005 was an aerodynamically messy car, with too many add-ons to capture downforce lost due to poor design.

the F2006 would appear from this picture to be more aerodynamically sound...but to see if that really is the case we must wait till bahrain. Oh but they are stil ueing that rediculous box wing under the front mainplane...which suggests to me that they still havent caught up to the aero levels os Mclaren & Renault.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

manchild
manchild

Those rear view mirrors are good for morning workout but must cause the headache during a race :wink:

What if mirror poles are hollow and mirror cover wider than mirror so they act as small chimneys too? :idea:

One more poof that Ferrari is preparing car for CDG wing before anyone else. :lol:

Why is this area where chimneys are black (heat cover?)
Last edited by manchild on 16 Jan 2006, 13:56, edited 3 times in total.

jezzwa

It looks like they have focused on the rear of the car, only a few things have changed aerodynamically in the front, and they still kept the square front part which surprised me as most other teams have opted for more curved wings.
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

Quite a departure from the F2005. Very tight at the rear from this pic. I agree that it does look a lot cleaner. The nose is rather fat width-wise. Those winglets front of the rear tyres are a bit out on a limb.
I like it. I hope it wins. :D

Steven
Owner

jezzwa wrote:...only a few things have changed aerodynamically in the front, and they still kept the square front part which surprised me as most other teams have opted for more curved wings.
Watch out with that, I'm not yet sure if they keps the single keel front suspension there...

jezzwa

Things can only get better, it even looks better than 2005 :lol:
Vote 1 for GPs back in Adelaide

benjabulle
benjabulle

Tomba wrote:Watch out with that, I'm not yet sure if they keps the single keel front suspension there...
The single keel still here as it seems on a clear photo, not a Renault V keel.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The mirrors are pushed way out on the sidepods, where they actually give the driver a decent view of what's happening behind him. They are actually more practical than obligatory.
The rear wing is a complex curve, like renault. Last year it was constanc chord, but like renault, now a more complex shape to accomodate the different types of airflow it deals with..eighter fromt he chassis in the middle, or on the sides where the air is less dirty.
The "chimneys" appear very thin, probably to the extent they don't allow the vent of air. They are now more guide vanes than exits for hot air.
They also got rid of the small guide vane on the outside of the radiator inlets.
This is the car they ran in the last race of the '05 season.

CCRomeo

Another View of the f2006:

Last edited by CCRomeo on 16 Jan 2006, 20:24, edited 3 times in total.

dumrick
dumrick

A portuguese motorsport newspaper is reporting that the F2006 has failed to pass the FIA's crash test.
The details state that the chassis has been damage beyond the possibility to be used again. Has anyone heard of this?

CCRomeo

Not heard a word about that one but I will look:

First run for the 657 aka F2006 at Fiorano

With the air temperature hovering at the freezing point, Michael Schumacher took the 2.976KM Fiorano test track in the new Ferrari today. The car, currently dubbed the 657, ran in plain red without its normal sponsorship livery and Schumacher completed 51 laps during the day recording a best time of 59.569s.

Following this initial shakedown run, development testing of the car resumes on Friday at Fiorano. The car will be officially unveiled at Mugello on January 24th.

(F1Total.com) - with the Shakedown it gave new Ferrari in Fiorano this afternoon the first problem: After 45 rounds run smoothly the red racer, for whom there is still no official type designation, with technical problems stopped. The car had to be brought afterwards back to the box.

CCRomeo

Ferrari end first test with little hiccups

By Michele Lostia January 16th 2006, 17:52 GMT

Ferrari have ended their first day of testing with the new 2006 Formula One car, which has been designated the project code of 657.

allan
allan

hey guys
i'm new here
i'll have to say, i was a little disappointed, as i expected the f2006 to be more radically designed, as a new front suspension positioning for example, not the old classic single keel.
but according to the italian media, the car did the best lap in 59.5 which is pretty good, as the f2005's best lap on fiorano was around "57.5" with a V10, not to forget that the weather wasn't that sunny, as reports say that there were ice covering some parts of the circuit.
anyway, the car failed because of a fuel problem, and i think the team successfully tested the new engine and gearbox on the 2004 chassis.
but about the front wing, i think they're gonna change it before heading to bahrain as they did in 2004,and 2005 when they changed the whole nose cone.

Apex
Apex

Just a little side note/idea: The car is painted mat black here and there so it makes it more difficult to photograph or even see in real life.