Do you want Refueling back?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Do you want Refueling back?

Yes.
54%
No.
46%

Total votes: 208

ringo

Re: Do you want Refueling back?

I can shoot a gas tank of a car with a gun. It wont explode. Did you know that?

Anyway who can honestly say this is the best of F1 they have ever watch.

Raise of hands by a post please. I don't think those of us who support refueling a crazy or from a different planet, we sense that something is lacking in the quality of the racing. This is based on our perception of entertainment agree?

Is it wrong for us to genuinely find something boring?
Why is it that half of us want refueling back? Can that be explained.
Are we crazy?
For Sure!!

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

ringo wrote:I can shoot a gas tank of a car with a gun. It wont explode. Did you know that?

Raise of hands by a post please. I don't think those of us who support refueling a crazy or from a different planet, we sense that something is lacking in the quality of the racing. This is based on our perception of entertainment agree?

Are we crazy?
I won't make the statement that this has been the most exciting season ever (I'm partial to the footage from 1967, personally), but refueling isn't the way to go for F1 to remain "relevant" while increasing speed and "racing" spectacle.

The answer is lifting restrictions on battery capacity and use. This immediately reflects the needs for better electric technology in road vehicles. Unlimited use necessitates fast recharging or expanded capacity (smaller cells with fast reload, or longer-endurance via larger packs). One notion would be to have a fast-swap pack that can be done during a pit-stop. Either way, the possibilities are far more numerous and ably executed before being clamped down on by the regulations. And, if one wasn't limited to just an extra 80bhp, then you would have driver's being pushed to their limit by judging when to use their systems. The added variance from the different battery solutions could be that element that takes away from the aero-heavy developments, if not adds to the technical drama of F1.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Here's the reason pit stops in general are unsafe:-

Too many people involved.

This is how IndyCar do it:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teqh7mKIaK8[/youtube]

And that includes refueling.

This is what happens when F1 refuelling goes wrong
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdyuN_cUqjA[/youtube]

AlexD0e
AlexD0e

First, I want Refueling back because now when cars get passed they pit immediately to retain their position. I hate that tactic because it favors the leading drivers too much and turns the race into a chess game. Second, i feel the "fastest lap" stat is sacred. Now anyone can get a fast lap in a race. With 2 laps left to go in a race even a Lotus can throw on some super softs and set the fastest lap. Third, i can't tell what the hell is going on when i watch live timing anymore. It's hard to figure out if a car is driving fast or just on fresher tires because the fastest lap is always decreasing until the final lap. I really miss refueling and want it back. :|

Giblet
Giblet

ringo wrote:I can shoot a gas tank of a car with a gun. It wont explode. Did you know that?

Are we crazy?
What refuelling does is make the racing different. Some people like it some don't. Its a matter of opinion, not a matter of truth.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

mep

Diesel wrote:Here's the reason pit stops in general are unsafe:-
That's the beauty of pit stops.
The work is shared over a big team. Every man is taking a little task and responsibility. Everything has to work together like a machine with high speed and precision. The timing of the stop has to be perfect which is lifting the sport from a physical exercise to a game of chess. Brainpower and understanding of the situations becomes vital.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

You can have all of that with a pit crew half the size. Why is F1 still using trolley jacks? IndyCar his built in pneumatic jacks built in to the cars which activates when the fuel nozzle is attached.

strad

With 27 pages and over 170 votes split close to 50 50 I think we have to agree to disagree.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

volarchico
volarchico

Diesel wrote:You can have all of that with a pit crew half the size. Why is F1 still using trolley jacks? IndyCar his built in pneumatic jacks built in to the cars which activates when the fuel nozzle is attached.
Yeah, or design robots that do the tire changes so no one is at risk...or limit the pit crew to one guy who has to run around to each tire and take it off and replace it. 2 minute pit stops here we come!

mep

Diesel wrote:You can have all of that with a pit crew half the size. Why is F1 still using trolley jacks? IndyCar his built in pneumatic jacks built in to the cars which activates when the fuel nozzle is attached.
Why should they even bother about reducing the crew?
Every man has one single task. It is fine.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

If there are too many dudes at a F1 pit stop, lets do the following tings;

1] Reduce the ammount of people in the pit box to 2 people per wheel and the front and rear jack guys. The lollypop guy should be the 11th man.
2] Make the guys wait till the car has came to a stop in the box before they can go and start work.
3] The driver cant leave the box till all the guys are back in the garrage, with exclusion to the lolypop guy.
4] If you want refueling back, this is a seprate stop, no tyrs can be put on the car when refueling takes place.
5] Banning of teams stacking cars or pitting cars on the same lap (even if the 2 cars are on 2 diffrent laps, the driver that pits closest to the lead lap is the lap number thats taken)
6] Front jack has to be completly straight on to the car, no Mercedes/Ferarri style front jacks.

This will lead to longer pit stops and also lead to teams splitting strategies and mixing races up one hell of a lot. Also means that drivers that look after their tyres will have more to gain.

Lets try and take someting more to give more different stratagies towards the teams. More time in the pitlane will mean that more teams will try and make their Pirellis last longer.

bhall
bhall

No. Just no. I don't like that it's even been proposed here. (I sincerely mean no offense or disrespect by saying that.)

There's simply nothing else in motorsport like an F1 pit stop. The execution of so much within such a short span is a breath of poetry, a peculiar harmony of dissonance that somehow has the grace of a ballet. A lot of me wants refueling back just to add that extra bit of texture to a pit stop's beauty. Actually, that's mostly the reason.

We've got DRS and rules for using different tire compounds and part-time KERS and gimmicks everywhere. I know I'm probably nuts, but can we just leave this one little thing alone? Please? Can we have one part of F1 that's a no-holds-barred contest of quickness?

It's all still light years away from the ethos I'd really like to see: "I'm going to do 300 km as fast as I can, however I can; you do 300 km as fast as you can, however you can. We'll all do that, and let's see who does it best." But, it's something.

I think, at some point, some of you who want to see all of these radical changes need to really ask yourself if you might just be better off with another form of entertainment. (Again, I mean no disrespect at all.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUvagsM176o[/youtube]
(I wish this wasn't slowed down.)

volarchico
volarchico

I'd love to see the overhead video of the 2.5 sec Mercedes GP pit stop! (the record stop of this season)

Icehole
Icehole

They could bring back refueling without actually having to refuel .
They would have to come in for a pit stop and have a lead plugged in which would give the management system parameters on how long the lead is plugged in for say 1 second for each virtual 10 liters and the cars with less fuel could be allowed to rev more .
This would be 100% safe and would allow for differing strategy's and also make each pit stop allow only one thing to be done .
Say to change tires only tires can be changed and if they want to refuel its a separate pit stop.
F1 Has become so boring the cars look crap compared to cars from years ago and innovation has virtually been banned F1 should take a look at formula E they seem to have the right idea on efficiency and innovation.

SectorOne

I would love to see it back in F1. Seeing cars run with 150kg´s of fuel is painful enough.
Refuelling and the best tires that can possibly be produced at the time is Formula 1 for me.

Safety actions could be nobody works on the car while fuel is going in. Or have bottles of fuel that uses gravity instead.
That way you can´t spray the whole car with fuel if there´s a failure.
If the driver drives away having a closed bottle on the car is far safer then the whole hose spitting fuel in the pitlane.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"