Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

They also need a tail :lol:

JohnsonsEvilTwin

But nose cones primary function isn't downforce is it?

More about moving the air as cleanly as possible to other parts of the car, or as streamlined as possible...(hence high noses) with minimal drag, no?
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Yes; my point being they need to channel air too. Low drag doesn't necessarily do that.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

italian
italian

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:But nose cones primary function isn't downforce is it?

More about moving the air as cleanly as possible to other parts of the car, or as streamlined as possible...(hence high noses) with minimal drag, no?
Yes, this is its function. Maybe, as aleksanderthegreat said, they want "clean-air" near the airbox.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Tozza Mazza

Hate to spoil your party, but this is banned in 2012!

People are misinterpreting the 'low nose' regulations in 2012, as lowering the nose tip. These people are wrong. It lowers the base of the nose. This nose has not been lowered at the base.

Here is a sketch I did a few weeks ago. It shows why this nose design is banned. The front of the tub must be 275mm high, even if it's moved forward.
To make it legal, it'll have to look something like this (if we're keeping the bottom of the tub as a linear line, which I understand it wouldn't, but it's definately not the most efficient design!
I'm a fan of the table top design, shown below, it's basically a 2011 design moved down 75mm, so the dash bulkheads are lower.
The other possibility is having a design like this.
I haven't taken into account any V style noses in these drawings.
Last edited by Tozza Mazza on 16 Jan 2012, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

aral
aral

That nose is totally legal. The tip of the nose has to be lower, and this one is. It echoes, fairly closely, a design shown about three weeks ago, in the Italian press, except that the one shown then had a less smoothed down, step.
I would be sure that Ferrari are fully aware of what is legal.

Tyler
Tyler

You're right Tozza, that won't be legal.
It's such a nice drawing just started thinking it was legal - should have remembered Scarb's drawings of the 2012 nose regs, it's easy to see from them that it's not legal as your drawings above have also correctly shown us.
I'm afraid that based on Scarb's drawings and those above, there's a possibility that we may see something that is truly ugly! - what a pity, I was looking forward to seeing some 'dolphin nose' cars on the grid :(

Gilgen that drawing in the Italian press had that 'bump' much further back, exactly like in Scarb's drawings - have a look at Scarb's drawings, they confirm what Tozza has shown us above - I think Tozza is right about it not being legal

Tozza Mazza

gilgen wrote:That nose is totally legal. The tip of the nose has to be lower, and this one is. It echoes, fairly closely, a design shown about three weeks ago, in the Italian press, except that the one shown then had a less smoothed down, step.
I would be sure that Ferrari are fully aware of what is legal.
WRONG. It's not the tip, its the base of the nose, which will force the tip down a little, read the regulations.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POST THIS ON THIS FORUM!?!

Ferrari aren't going to show the press there new car early are they?

It was drawn by a journalist, who made a mistake.

raymondu999

gilgen wrote:I would be sure that Ferrari are fully aware of what is legal.
But whoever drew that picture of the dolphin nose; might not.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Tozza Mazza

raymondu999 wrote:
gilgen wrote:I would be sure that Ferrari are fully aware of what is legal.
But whoever drew that picture of the dolphin nose; might not.
Is it just me who thinks that nose is just an F10?

Okay not quite, but it looks like an F10 mashup with a poor attempt at drawing 2012 nose regs.

raymondu999

Looks more like an F60 with a tumor to me.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

amouzouris

What if the bulb is not at the top of the nose but at the bottom?? cause i remember watching the flying lap last week..the car scarbs drew for 2012 had something like a bulb below the nose...

Tozza Mazza

amouzouris wrote:What if the bulb is not at the top of the nose but at the bottom?? cause i remember watching the flying lap last week..the car scarbs drew for 2012 had something like a bulb below the nose...
As long as it is infront of the front bulkhead, and the front bulkhead is 275mm deep, and has a max height of 550mm above the reference plane, it's legal.

amouzouris

here it is...40 minutes and 52 seconds in....0:40:52...have a look at the nose!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUzQ8Ec2NUQ[/youtube]

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

What is the value of a concave top nose surface?

Brian