Good looking Daytona Prototype!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
machin

Re: Good looking Daytona Prototype!

A couple more; Porsche and BMW Daytona Prototype musings (too much spare time!)

COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

machin wrote:I'm well impressed with the look of this new Daytona Prototype:-

In my opinion much better than the "F1 with fenders" look of the current LMP1 cars....
When I saw this I thought you'd posted a picture of the XJR15:
8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

machin

Oh, OK, one more, Ford GT DP:-

machin

Honda DP anyone?

Pierce89

I love Honda mock up you made. Looks awesome.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Now these cars are what I'd like to see in a spec-car race series! Fantastic work!

lizardfolk

RB7ate9 wrote:Now these cars are what I'd like to see in a spec-car race series! Fantastic work!
Just a note that Grand-Am isn't exactly a spec series. The RX8 uses a rotary for godsake. Anyways these gen 3 DPs finally broke the stereotypes that DPs are ugly POS. God I'm still traumatized by that Dallara Gen 2 DP.

Anyways it is true that there's a TON more of a difference between the Audi and the Toyota LMP1 than between the Riley and Corvette DP but they are still by no means spec. Watch the 2012 Detroit race if you dont believe me where the difference in engine competition and chassis actually made a difference to the race.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

lizardfolk wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:Now these cars are what I'd like to see in a spec-car race series! Fantastic work!
Just a note that Grand-Am isn't exactly a spec series. The RX8 uses a rotary for godsake. Anyways these gen 3 DPs finally broke the stereotypes that DPs are ugly POS. God I'm still traumatized by that Dallara Gen 2 DP.

Anyways it is true that there's a TON more of a difference between the Audi and the Toyota LMP1 than between the Riley and Corvette DP but they are still by no means spec. Watch the 2012 Detroit race if you dont believe me where the difference in engine competition and chassis actually made a difference to the race.
I have watched the Grand-Am series and, if anything, I appreciate actually seeing racers based on road cars (Rx8, Camaro) :) . I was just stating that these different decals on the Chevy DP would look good in a race because it would be obvious that they're NOT supposed to be stock road cars (unlike the pseudonym "NASCAR") but still give some healthy sporting competition between companies in cars that look good and go fast around a track.

lizardfolk

RB7ate9 wrote:
lizardfolk wrote:

I have watched the Grand-Am series and, if anything, I appreciate actually seeing racers based on road cars (Rx8, Camaro) :) . I was just stating that these different decals on the Chevy DP would look good in a race because it would be obvious that they're NOT supposed to be stock road cars (unlike the pseudonym "NASCAR") but still give some healthy sporting competition between companies in cars that look good and go fast around a track.
Oh ok and yeah I'd say that Grand-Am would be a comfortable middle ground between WEC and NASCAR. A lot of the parts of the DP are pretty spec and the body is pretty heavily regulated especially compared to WEC but it's not "spec" by any means. The Grand-Am GT is even less spec. I mean... the Mazda rotary sounds like a beast :D

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

lizardfolk wrote:
Oh ok and yeah I'd say that Grand-Am would be a comfortable middle ground between WEC and NASCAR. A lot of the parts of the DP are pretty spec and the body is pretty heavily regulated especially compared to WEC but it's not "spec" by any means. The Grand-Am GT is even less spec. I mean... the Mazda rotary sounds like a beast :D
So what you're saying is that it'd be awesome to have the Daytona Prototype class include a rotary engine as an option, even if it means having to force Mazda to restart their design and engineering facilities...moreover, they should just race the 787B again 8) .

lizardfolk

RB7ate9 wrote:
lizardfolk wrote:
So what you're saying is that it'd be awesome to have the Daytona Prototype class include a rotary engine as an option, even if it means having to force Mazda to restart their design and engineering facilities...moreover, they should just race the 787B again 8) .
I'd be awesome if a DP could utilize a rotary. But I think the DP class is pretty regulated while the GT is a lot more open. Which is why I personally think the DP's engine sounds all sound the same. Either way, I can appreciate Grand-Am for what it is. A sprint endurance (i know this is oxymoron but think about it. Besides the 24h of Daytona and the 6h of the glen all of Grand-Am's races are between 2-3 hours.) with fairly regulated specs that create prototypes similar to the prototypes and GTs of the earlier days.

I've watched a lot of Trans-Am American GT racing and those tube-framed GTs that people loved to see rub, slide, and glide remind me of the current DPs. So Grand-Am is really an old fashioned sprint endurance series.

machin

After watching some of the Daytona 24 hours last weekend I couldn't help myself.... a new Peugeot variant...

...with 908 HY drivetrain and carbon chassis :wink:

Pandamasque

I just cannot ignore the roof on those #-o

Has all the elegance of this

FW17

The old GT1 cars look like a bit like daytona prototypes with the exception of the rear wing placement

Blue fellow
Blue fellow

It looks much better than before. However something still looks off about the front to me, and the cockpit's proportions seem off. It just looks up right, I don't really know how to describe it. However, I sure won't be calling them ugly anymore 8)