single element rear wing vs multi element rear wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: single element rear wing vs multi element rear wing

jeez louise, go away ,find some data, then have a proper discussion. Fig 6-77 in katz plots L/D and CL for 1 2 3 and 4 element wings. L/D drops, CL rises.

andylaurence

Fig 6-77 in my copy of Katz is the underside of the front of a sports prototype. The closest I can find in my copy is 6-71, which is multiple elements on top of each other, rather than a slotted wing (main plane & flap) as I'd describe a multi-element wing, but -L/D drops and -CL rises as you say. I'm keen to understand the interaction of a main plane and flap when the slot gap varies and the location of the two elements is varied.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Milliken fig 15-25 shows some results for some very complex wings (4 airfoils in series). I'd have thought a DOE was the best approach if your wings are of fixed size and section you've got 6 factors (x z alpha for each airfoil). CFD might be informative, but it will probably be misleading (I've seen some absurd accuracy claims on this board).

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

here's a fairly detailed study for moving a flap around relative to a Clark Y section, in free air. I'd expect that the results for a wing near the diffuser of a GE body would be quite different, really other people's experiments will just show trends not answers.

http://hdl.handle.net/2060/19930091502