Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hail22

Re: Ross Brawn leaves Mercedes

Don't be shocked if either Herbie Blash (assistant race director) or Charlie Whiting Vacate their post(s) if he was to join the FIA, he is worthy of a top tier position due in no small part to his extreme wealth of knowledge in Formula 1.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Callum

Hail22 wrote:Don't be shocked if either Herbie Blash (assistant race director) or Charlie Whiting Vacate their post(s) if he was to join the FIA, he is worthy of a top tier position due in no small part to his extreme wealth of knowledge in Formula 1.
But why would they jump ship?

autogyro
autogyro

Callum wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Don't be shocked if either Herbie Blash (assistant race director) or Charlie Whiting Vacate their post(s) if he was to join the FIA, he is worthy of a top tier position due in no small part to his extreme wealth of knowledge in Formula 1.
I think most people are missing a major point here.
All these guys are not getting any younger and there comes a time......
Ross still has a lot of years and he has F1 experience going right back.
Ideal for the FIA.

I noticed that Bernie was suggesting his replacement at FOM.
He mentioned Christian Horner in one of his smoke screens but then again there is usually some truth in what he says.

Well thats three suggestions I have made, Williams, FIA and FOM, just shows how out of touch I am.
I will consult with the oracle, unfortunately that will be in confidence but I have to know :wink:

Hail22

Callum wrote:
Well Herbie Blash is 65, not saying he isn't sharp however he may have other priorities in his life? As well as Charlie?

It was merely a thought I share, I doubt it could / would happen though.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

lotus7
lotus7

Hail22 wrote:
Callum wrote:
Well Herbie Blash is 65, not saying he isn't sharp however he may have other priorities in his life? As well as Charlie?

It was merely a thought I share, I doubt it could / would happen though.
Well Bernie is pushing 90 , makes Herbie a mere youngster

lebesset
lebesset

now we are in an era when half the population can go to university to study something or another , it is hard to realise that things used to be as richard said ; to get an apprenticeship with the atomic energy authorities was already a considerable accomplishment as they had the pick of a large percentage of the population ;and they would select only a few of those for higher education and ross was so selected

it appears that williams started up where ross lived whereas his previous job was a commute , and he saw an advert for williams ;frank williams employed ross as a machinist , but frank is on record as saying that the reason he was quickly moved from that to R & D and then aerodynamics was that he is brilliant

albert einstein didn't go to university either
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lebesset wrote:now we are in an era when half the population can go to university to study something or another , it is hard to realise that things used to be as richard said ; to get an apprenticeship with the atomic energy authorities was already a considerable accomplishment as they had the pick of a large percentage of the population ;and they would select only a few of those for higher education and ross was so selected

it appears that williams started up where ross lived whereas his previous job was a commute , and he saw an advert for williams ;frank williams employed ross as a machinist , but frank is on record as saying that the reason he was quickly moved from that to R & D and then aerodynamics was that he is brilliant

thank u, finally some more positivity around here about ross and his past. =D>
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

lebesset wrote:now we are in an era when half the population can go to university to study something or another , it is hard to realise that things used to be as richard said ; to get an apprenticeship with the atomic energy authorities was already a considerable accomplishment as they had the pick of a large percentage of the population ;and they would select only a few of those for higher education and ross was so selected

albert einstein went to a university, even got a phd!

lebesset
lebesset

foxmulder_ms wrote:

albert einstein went to a university, even got a phd!
which university did einstein go to ...according to the biography I read he failed the entrance exam for the swiss federal poly , and later went elsewhere to a poly to get a teaching certificate
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

xpensive
xpensive

"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

FoxHound

In September 1896, though only seventeen, enrolled in the four-year mathematics and physics teaching diploma program at the Zurich Polytechnic. . In 1900, Einstein was awarded the Zurich Polytechnic teaching diploma,
Anyway...
I'm not saying brains is a prerequisite to be a good boss. But it certainly helps.
There are many factors outside of the team principles control, like budgets, opposition, rule sets, available staff to hire etc etc.
If we look at Horner, he was nowhere for 4 years with Red Bull and Newey. Look at him now.
Yet the only credit I can give him is keeping a steady ship at Red bull. Why? That's his job.

Yes a team is the sum of all it's parts. But some parts are more important to the collective.
Take Horner away from Red Bull and what will the outcome be on the actual car?
Substantial if Newey leaves, non existent if Newey stays.
We can wax lyrical about Vettel being amazing all day long, but it will not change the fact that Alonso or Hamilton would've likely achieved the same result in the RB9 if they where partnering Webber.
(Vettel fans alert, this is no slight on Vettel, hear me out).
To win you need a good car. To win championships you need a consistently good car.
Vettel has been blessed thus, I'm sure we can all agree.

The architect of this, is Newey and Prodromou and their technical team. Their ability to make CFD a reality.

To get them to have the best possible environment to work in is the team principals job.
However, a team principle should be 1 of 2 things in this regard.
Either they listen to what their engineers tell them. Or they impose themselves on the team with iron will in the way that Jean Todt did with Ferrari in disarray.
There is no correct way, just a winning way.

My point here, gentleman, is that Brawn at Mercedes was a team principal.
What did he contribute to the car directly that other TP's have not? This is my question.
JET set

wunderkind
wunderkind

FoxHound wrote:
My point here, gentleman, is that Brawn at Mercedes was a team principal.
What did he contribute to the car directly that other TP's have not? This is my question.
I think Ross Brawn has been a much-needed source of stability and strength when the Team was lost at sea in terms of track performance and results and he had the street-cred to hire many of the big-name designers, engineers, and Michael Schumacher to rebuild the Team. Brawn took almost all the flak for the failure of the W01-W03 and shielded his technical team from public criticism (lynching, even) and let them concentrate and get on with their jobs. A lesser Team Principal would have laid blame on his technical chiefs to save his ass, not Brawn. Brawn kept the ship steady and prevented it from descending into chaos during the darkest days.

Ask yourselves, is there another Team Principal on the grid today who has the credibility, and indeed the kahunas, to have attracted three top ex-technical directors to the Team?

Brawn may have come from a humble background and may not possess the engineering prowess of Newey, Byrne, Murray, Barnard, or Chapman. But Brawn possesses the pragmatism (both on the track and in front of Bernie and the FIA), common sense, management skills, and strategic foresight that makes him such an effective Team Principal.

sidmiester
sidmiester

lebesset wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
lebesset wrote:so it's done
mistake by mercedes in my view , they should have given him whatever he wanted
On what basis?
just have a look at his record
it was not just brawn when he won all the record.

merc should be a team which needs to become even stronger without brawn. the likes of paddy lowe is a great replacement for Ross. The only thing team would possibly be missing badly will be from managerial, strategic, and also ross was a great personnel that everyone would listen him to. so they would miss that.

i wonder if Lowe is going to be head in merc, will be be able to bring some other mclaren talents that they have???

i think every merc fans are pretty happy with elliot's work, and costa

but personally i just feel merc are a bit less competitive when it comes to engineering talents compared to ferrari, mclaren and red bull.

on chief designer John owen , i would like to hear more opinion on how good he is....

and wonder whats going to happen to mclaren's doug mckiernan cus peter prodoumou is going back...

would be nice if merc and bring him but i guess elliot has already taken that position.

wunderkind
wunderkind

^ Word is that John Owen is talented but over stretched during the W01-02 periods.

I think like all other teams, Paddy Lowe's top priority is to make sure the work of the Team's CFD aero team bears fruit on the track.

I think McLaren will find a way to keep Marcin Budkowski and Doug Mckiernan. They need all the help they can get at the moment.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I wouldn't be suprised at all if Merc is going downhill rapidly after this. Pardon my french but i don't believe in the talents of paddy lowe. Mclaren did produce front-running cars, but that's not enough to Merc. They want and need to win championships.

And apart from that, utter BS to say Brawn wouldn't understand anything the aerodynamics guy say.
Seriously, this is a public forum where anybody can join in and i've seen plenty of heated and deepgoing investigations
about aerodynamisc, thermodynamics, etc etc. I have no doubt there are people around that studied in these areas,
however, i neither doubt there are plenty guys around whom after carefully reading these pages have come to understanding
and knowledge, whom are just 'normal guys' [or perhaps girls].
To think Ross wouldn't understand is ignorance. I'll leave it at that for i think his achievements give enough credit.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"