2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
turbof1

Re: 2014 Engine testing ... or not ....

Well, history tells us such circumstances always makes us question how real the information us we are getting fed. It's inevitable. Now that the question has been put down, can we move on?
#AeroFrodo

Richard
Richard

SectorOne wrote:I also don´t understand why you would make it look like camera phone footage.
To make it seem more authentic, as if it was someone stumbling on a secret? It wouldn't be too far fetched if the car was already on site for the marketing team to ask someone to drive around for a few laps while they stood at the fence with a phone.

IMHO Its far fetched to say it was a 100% mock up, but equally its hard to deny that some aspects were probably stage managed - ie twitter teaser, choice of such a public site, and who was holding that phone?

Anyway that's all hypothesising about marketing tactics and subterfuge, lets get back to the engine testing .... errr .... that's also hypothesising! None of us really know what it was other than some strange whines and pops, with a huge air intake - but its not uncommon for manufacturers to add decoy bodywork when testing.

Redragon

SectorOne wrote:I´m lost as well. I read this,
What's the chance that this is a cleverly engineered stunt by Ferrari with a video of a test mule made to look like camera phone footage allied to a soundtrack from another car...
Took it as the test was faked. There is no 2014 engine test but instead a test mule with a dubbed sound on the sole purpose of marketing.
Hence me asking what they were marketing. And was answered, "7 pages of excited discussion on this thread alone."

I also don´t understand why you would make it look like camera phone footage.
I understand your point about doesn't need marketing as a brand but has some areas unknown from some fans not into the racing world, for example "laferrari"

Marketing teams use same tools as any of us would use to share on social networks to foul us. So recording it with a mobile phone would be one of that strategies so everyone thinks that it is a fan who recorded but actually could have been Dominacelli himself, just as an example.

Also, to edit the video with a sound of other engine it is a easy task to do.

What this marketing campaign could be transmitting it is this message, Ferrari is already running their engine and be in front of others teams, we know Mercedes released only the sound for example.

It is a psychological game. The fact that everything is coming from the official twitter account and after the news that none of the ferrari stuff, including drivers could tweet about Ferrari F1, only their official account, makes this video suspicously the official presentation to the world of the Ferrari 2014 engine.

Instead of doing a few seconds with a still image of the engine, they have been more creative and show the engine running. Showing that perhaps that rumours that Ferrari were having problems with their 2014 engine are not true and actually maybe a bit ahead on development that the others.

Faked or not the sound, mule or not mule with a Ferrari 2014, the video is doing its job, bringing the attention to Ferrari before winter brake. Now, that they are building great expectations, I hope they deliver.

SectorOne

CBeck113 wrote:FWIW, I've stood at that spot in Maranello, and it is outside the fence - but I honestly don't think that their marketing would go to this length for a fake. Quite the opposite - they are quite proud to be able to test the new V6, and just wanted everyone to know without actually saying it
I think this is the most logical explanation to this. Excited Ferrari sharing some news on their new engine.

@Reddragon the thing about sticking it to Mercedes and Renault is also another explanation that sounds plausible.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Blackout

Omnicorse reports Renault might be testing its new V6T... on a WSR :!:

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/33001/ ... rld-series

SectorOne

So the question is, what will Mercedes use as a testbed?
SLS GT3?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Holm86

I remember a few weeks back. Some one from Ferrari said something about the photos from Renault and the video from Mercedes. Said that it was not at all close to the final product. And Ferrari would revel something around Christmas. Because they felt that would be too late for anybody to copy anything.

And the more I see this clip the more I do believe that this is the new F1 engine. I wonder when Ferrari will speak out about this. Either confirm or deny it.

timbo
timbo

Redragon wrote:Also, to edit the video with a sound of other engine it is a easy task to do.
Mm, have you done this?
I don't say it can't be done, but that's not an easy fit to perform.
From my experience, the sync of image and sound and reverberation effects, it's 100% authentic.

Redragon

timbo wrote:
Redragon wrote:Also, to edit the video with a sound of other engine it is a easy task to do.
Mm, have you done this?
From my experience, the sync of image and sound and reverberation effects, it's 100% authentic.
Not saying it is not the authentic sound, just saying that they could do it.
You don't see the car braking or taking the curve you just seeing it passing in front of camera. what it is really suspicious. They could use the mule for video footage and record the sound of other vehicle running in same circumstances and then merge both in post-production. There is nothing to suggest you it is out of sync or in sync.
Also if I was the fan or journalist bothering to find the right spot, taking the risk of been caught by the security I make sure to take as much footage as possible, meaning I follow with my camera phone the car all the way through or as much it is on view. This footage it is too static.

Redragon

Redragon wrote:
timbo wrote:
Mm, have you done this?
Not saying it is not the authentic sound, just saying that they could do it.
You don't see the car braking or taking the curve you just seeing it passing in front of camera. what it is really suspicious. They could use the mule for video footage and record the sound of other vehicle running in same circumstances and then merge both in post-production. There is nothing to suggest you it is out of sync or in sync.
Also if I was the fan or journalist bothering to find the right spot, taking the risk of been caught by the security I make sure to take as much footage as possible, meaning I follow with my camera phone the car all the way through or as much it is on view. This footage it is too static.
This is an example of what i mean, a fan recording a Fiorano before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuQ_tQMHs4U as you can see he follows the car and it is not really static

Richard
Richard

It is strangely static, of course "odd" does not mean "guilty". We don't have much else to talk about in the absence of any meaningful knowledge of the test!

Holm86 posted a video on page 1 from the same spot that gives context to the track arrangement with a panning camera. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 79#p465779

Redragon

richard_leeds wrote:It is strangely static, of course "odd" does not mean "guilty". We don't have much else to talk about in the absence of any meaningful knowledge of the test!

Holm86 posted a video on page 1 from the same spot that gives context to the track arrangement with a panning camera. http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 79#p465779
All i want to say, the pictures on the Ferrari officially account, the video well controlled just afterwards, it is from my point of view a creative way to announce the new engine. No much given away, just sound and playing the psychological game with opponents nicely.

turbof1

Redragon wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:It is strangely static, of course "odd" does not mean "guilty". We don't have much else to talk about in the absence of any meaningful knowledge of the test!

All i want to say, the pictures on the Ferrari officially account, the video well controlled just afterwards, it is from my point of view a creative way to announce the new engine. No much given away, just sound and playing the psychological game with opponents nicely.
To be honest, the psychologic warfare is something blown up by the media. Teams ussually don't bother with that, just minding their own business.

There will probably a few critical edits to not give too much away. I just hope that one of the manufacturers will have the courage and balls this month to release a video saying "this is our 2014 contender power unit, this is the testing mule for it and we are going to take you for a ride across this circuit!"
#AeroFrodo

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Look this this timestamped video. It shows why it's not worth panning because the slats block your view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mG410#t=44
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

aleks_ader

I doubt that teams don't use media as a "pulleys"(i know is silly comparison, but anyway :D ) to grab much attention they can. If you had a lot of sponsors they will love it. Especially when shows you in a good shape like win WDC etc. Propaganda is sadly (of-course how you look at) part of every step in our live.

And also congrats to Ferrari they find out very neat, creative and unique way how to make attention to certain group of fans (engine, F1, motorheads etc.)...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna