F1 engines 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ss_collins
ss_collins

F1 engines 2011

Here is a concept rendering of a 2011 F1 engine, from a study by HyKinesys which will be published in Racecar Engineerings May issue.

The engine features a Turbocharged 2 litre V12, exhaust heat recovery, another regenerative system we are not revealing until the issue is out, and some other trick bits.

manchild
manchild

Why V12? :shock:

If this whole business is about cost cutting and ecology isn't it than logical that V12 costs much more than V6 per unit and that manufacturing of V12 consumes more energy and pollutes earth more than manufacturing of V6?

I don't get it. :?

waynes
waynes

reveal the regenerative system you monkey :D

wazojugs

i seriouly doubt that V12 would return as the V8 or V10 if a far better option as they are smaller lighter and easier to package at the rear making a better aero package to the rear.

A V12 would require more cooling to air and oil making sidepods larger, more exhaust pipes to package, more excess heat to channel away, more internal friction. basically it would screw up the aero package of the car

manchild
manchild

waynes wrote:reveal the regenerative system you monkey :D
Exhaust pipes enter those boilers you see on each side of the engine, heat up the water that boils and than water steam turns the turbine of electrical generator that powers the electric motor. :twisted:

Who would like to buy Racecar Engineerings May issue after this detail explanation of mine? :lol:
Last edited by manchild on 27 Feb 2007, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

PNSD
PNSD

and will this not make the cars look like some fat women and a huge ass?

wazojugs

the coke bottle effect will gain weight around the hips

Steven
Owner

Re: F1 engines 2011

ss_collins wrote:... The engine features a Turbocharged 2 litre V12, exhaust heat recovery, another regenerative system we are not revealing until the issue is out, and some other trick bits.
Just my idea, but isn't turbo charging also exhaust heat recovery? Would that mean there are two different systems to extract energy from the exhaust gases?
PNSD wrote:and will this not make the cars look like some fat women and a huge ass?
That doesn't really matter since the FIA is trying to restrict aerodynamic efficiency anyway.

manchild
manchild

Re: F1 engines 2011

Tomba wrote: Would that mean there are two different systems to extract energy from the exhaust gases?
He had in mind that electric motor I mentioned that will run as generator charging the battery during braking and deceleration. :wink:

allan
allan

personally, i don't care if it's turbo charged, electrical, or runs on stream, as long as it sounds like a proper f1 engine.
but this engine is HUGE , size wise speaking. or is the gearbox included in the picture, even though i can't see it :shock:

manchild
manchild

Gearbox is included in drawing. You can see joints where driveshafts are plugged in.

joseff

Really? I thought that was the turbo.

manchild
manchild

joseff wrote:Really? I thought that was the turbo.
Yep. Check the top right side of the drawing, last element of drawing is turbo outlet, than (from right to left) follows turbo, differential is above turbo. If you follow (left to right) two pipes coming from exhaust (I called those elements boilers) you can see that they join up and than fall down to turbo.

But regardless on that, there is an conventional airbox feeding cylinders directly like at any other normally aspirated engine. That engine as drawn could have turbo but turbo wouldn't be used to increase pressure in cylinders but to turn generator.

If you look closely, there is no second turbine except for one driven by exhaust gases, so that turbine must be driving some generator (most likely via some reduction). Compressing turbines are much bigger and there's no such thing in sight apart from those longitudinal tubes than lean on turbine (I guess generators are in those tubes).

So, it is not Turbocharged 2 litre V12 engine but normally aspirated 2 litre V12 engine that has exhaust gas driven turbine whose rotation has nothing to do with aspiration of engine but only with transformation of energy of exhaust gases into some other form of energy, most probably electrical.

It's a shame that none of us including me didn't notice this at first sight :oops: ](*,) #-o 8-[

That's what happens when you don't question explanation given with drawing :P

ss_collins, was that a deliberate test, did I won something, perhaps a lifetime subscription to Racecar Engineering? :D

Scuderia_Russ

Those exhaust headers and tail pipe look interesting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HevQIDPryJQ

Ahh, I can only hope.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

ss_collins
ss_collins

nobody has got it all yet but a couple came close