2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
l4mbch0ps
l4mbch0ps

Re: 2014 Engines: Do they sound right?

myurr wrote:Not sure if it's been brought up yet, but I have a new pet theory as to why Bernie is so publicly anti the engines. I think he's doing it for publicity. He knows there's nothing that can be done to change them and the engine manufacturers would never abandon the current engines and go back to the old V8s after spending hundreds of millions each on their new designs. Also Honda would rightly throw a massive hissy fit. Whilst there is a turbo and energy efficiency is important to the formula then noise coming out of the exhaust will always be viewed by the engineers as wasted energy.

So what's Bernie's game? I reckon he's just generating publicity to promote the sport. He's creating the image of controversy and sowing the seed that there is something wrong that needs to be witnessed before people can judge for themselves. He's hoping people will tune in to the races in order to see what all the fuss is about, and will then discuss it with their mates and online. He's also publicly pushing the notion that F1 has changed massively and that things this year are very different to the past, so if you were previously a fan or have never been interested then why not check out if it's improved in your eyes. Clever!

Discuss ;)

I feel like this is the only reason Bernie ever says anything to anyone about anything. He is *always* stirring up controversy, regardless of whats going on. They could have a record breaking year in every way, and the sport could be doing better than it ever has been doing in every metric and Bernie would still squawk about something haha.

jp5
jp5

Is is stating the obvious to suggest that the same person complaining about how lame the new formula sounds is also in control of the sound production that the vast majority of fans actually hear? I mean, how hard would it really be to castrate the audio to produce a less than complimentary representation of reality.

Having been trackside at Albert Park a number if times during the previous seasons I can support the sentiments of comments in this thread that there is a lot of fidelity lost in translation to TV. With current technology it would not be too difficult to engineer an audio solution that more accurately reveals the sound of the new power units.

Of course, the one would need to have have an unbiased agenda....

Jarrod

garrett
garrett

Two thoughts: Obviously some private persons with poor equipment were able to deliver a better sound of Formula 1 during the test events then the official TV production of Formula 1. So what? Ecclestone complains about the "bad sound" as he ever did because he doesn´t want new engine formla, but could it be he is so crazy to command a poor television sound quality at the fiorst race to create the reason for a new "sound discussion" together with his Melbourne pal? It came to my mind.

Secondly, note the different tone of the Mercedes engine at Jerez and at Melbourne. The Jerez specification sounded old-school Turbo V6, the current configuration reminds of a Ducati Superbike. What are the reasons?

FoxHound

@ garrett

The firing order could be similar. I've had a chat with someone close to the team(no particular names other than they are NOT on twitter) and the consensus is that you can play around with this stuff.
There is also an ambiguous link to AMG and Ducati before the VW group takeover.

Hint hint wink wink
JET set

Kiril Varbanov

The debate for the engine sound isn't going to go anywhere, anytime soon I suppose, so here is some data.

The poll is still open, and the results so far are in favor of the 2014 engine sound. Do you like it?
- Yes (1351 votes)
- No (583 votes)
- To some extent (676 votes)

rjsa
rjsa

WhiteBlue wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Very funny that the noise lovers down vote people telling the truth on a technical forum. Actually it is a shame.
I did that, because this...
WhiteBlue wrote: But unrealistic. It disregards that you hear only half the frequency of the V10 and V8s, because acoustically they have two separate banks using its own respective exhaust. The V6 will run with the full frequency because both banks run into the one turbo. Even the turbo V6 of the past had two separate banks with one turbo each. Their sound is also of lower frequency.
...is utterly absurd, but I didn't feel like starting an argument with you last night.
This is not only my point. It was made in 2011 by Rob White of Renault engine factory in a technical article I read. Perhaps I can find it for you. IMO it is a valid point that motivated the engine working group to specify a single turbo charger for both banks of the engine.
OK, I found a reference to the same interview, but it leaves out the technical explanation Rob White provided.
http://blogs.bettor.com/Rob-White-claim ... ews-a81096
White also claims that since the engines will use a single turbocharger and a single exhaust outlet, the sound of the engines is not going to change much and in fact, they are going to sound even better.
Here is another quote of the same interview. link here!
Rob White wrote:A single turbo will join together the six exhaust outlets and have a single tailpipe from the back, so that would tend to make the frequency of the engine note much higher than the frequency note from .. a V6 with separate exhausts.
I hope you recognize the expertise of the fellow. He certainly knows more about engine frequencies than your guitar player. And that was the gist of my post.
So our guitar player friend was being optimistic in the end. And Rob White just delivering the marketing department fed line.

Kiril Varbanov

On a related note, the risk was known 7 years ago - http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/03/25/fia- ... appealing/

autogyro
autogyro

Close enough for Jaz.

bhall
bhall

iotar__

Surprise, surprise, puppets reading lines written for them by teams.

Vettel hates the sound, he suddenly realised that, had no opinion after tests or first race but now that marketing direction against new rules is starting to shape up (people don't like the sound let's push this angle). I told you, sound is tyres of 2014, it became Red Bull's marketing tool along with sensor nonsense.
On the other hand Button (earlier Rosberg) loves new rules with his Merc engine (sound or no sound).

Holm86

sectionate
sectionate

Having experienced them in person just now, my personal opinion is that they sound just right.

I have stood I the pitlane when one of the Old V8's rolled past, and Jesus was it painful. Now it is very bearable, and you can hear all sorts of whistles, pops and sequels going on. There is much more depth/life in the sound than before.

More noise isn't nessacarily better.

el-Magico
el-Magico

sectionate wrote:Having experienced them in person just now, my personal opinion is that they sound just right.

I have stood I the pitlane when one of the Old V8's rolled past, and Jesus was it painful. Now it is very bearable, and you can hear all sorts of whistles, pops and sequels going on. There is much more depth/life in the sound than before.

Problem is that you can not hear all those pops and whistles here behind the tv..
Even worse, you can hardly hear anything..
Quote of the year: "almost as sickening as the Velcro fluff under Lewis' cap..."

sectionate
sectionate

el-Magico wrote:
sectionate wrote:Having experienced them in person just now, my personal opinion is that they sound just right.

Problem is that you can not hear all those pops and whistles here behind the tv..
Even worse, you can hardly hear anything..
That is more an issue with how FOM handle the sound output, than the engines

Holm86

Just shove one of these into the exhausts. Job done.