Force India VJM07 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
neilbah
neilbah

Re: Force India VJM07 Mercedes

looking at the rear hub design..what do people think, is it shaped like that for suspension geometry/tyre contact or to minimise air disturbances to the winglets of the brake ducts or both?

aleks_ader

neilbah wrote:looking at the rear hub design..what do people think, is it shaped like that for suspension geometry/tyre contact or to minimise air disturbances to the winglets of the brake ducts or both?
Biggest strain resistance for minimal amount of material as possible. That is just possible with special probably in-house adapted software.
Than in process follows dimension arrangement witch they include tire and AERO needs, brake calipers, hub assembly, ducts attach point. I believe there is a lot of compromises involve as you said.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Godius

A list of pictures from AMuS, 16 april 2014, China:

Chassis:

Front Wing + Nose

Last edited by Godius on 16 Apr 2014, 14:37, edited 4 times in total.

Sidhartha.techie
Sidhartha.techie

"ok Lewis, it's hammer time"
" Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Aryton Senna

Thunder

They have enough Time to put the Stickers on, it's only Wednesday.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

monsi
monsi

I know it's difficult with photography angles etc., but are those sidepods undercut more than the ones raced in Bahrain, and maybe even than at the following test ?

outer_bongolia

monsi wrote:I know it's difficult with photography angles etc., but are those sidepods undercut more than the ones raced in Bahrain, and maybe even than at the following test ?
The undercuts definitely are massive compared to anything we have seen with FI before.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Huntresa
Huntresa

outer_bongolia wrote:
monsi wrote:I know it's difficult with photography angles etc., but are those sidepods undercut more than the ones raced in Bahrain, and maybe even than at the following test ?
The undercuts definitely are massive compared to anything we have seen with FI before.
FI has had huge if the biggest undercuts after Toro Rosso the last few years.

Blackout

outer_bongolia wrote:
No. The largest part of these sidepods is very large. The undercut is big only at the front of the sidepods.. a realtively small area.
Yes the 2013 and especially the 2012 FI had a much bigger undercut which ran from the font to the rear...

To my eye they do look different - difficult to see properly in gloss black, but to me the shoulder of the sidepods looks squarer in the image Blackout just posted vs the more even radius on the China pics...
..could just be gloss black + reflections distorting it though.

Not sure about the undercut; without the floor for reference it's hard to tell.

Godius

It's the same shape to my opinion, just take a look at the pictures in the early pages of this thread. I agree that it's difficult to see though.

Thunder

Aaand Sahara Stickers finally applied. ^^

#aerogollum

Kiril Varbanov

Hm, signs of FRIC?

mclaren_mircea
mclaren_mircea

According to AMUS, FI will have FRIC suspension for the first time during a race, as well as new sidepods, RW, FW. They hope it will bring three tenths a lap.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 10190.html

Thunder

Impressive developements for a 'smaller' Team, wonder if they can keep the Updates coming throughout the Season.
#aerogollum