At which GP will Mercedes win the WCC?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Which GP will the WCC be decided?

Singapore GP
47%
Japanese GP
34%
Russian GP
13%
American GP
3%
Brazilian GP
No votes
Abu Dhabi GP
3%

Total votes: 32

gray41

At which GP will Mercedes win the WCC?

With the Mercedes team looking so dominant and right now seemingly heading for double podiums at ever grand prix, when do you think they will take the WCC?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

MercedesAMGSpy

Re: At which GP will Mercedes win the WCC?

I have said it after the Malaysian GP, my pick is the Singapore GP.

tim|away
tim|away

After 5 races, Mercedes has 197 points, RedBull has 84. That's an average rate of 39.4 points per race for Mercedes and 16.8 points per race for RedBull. If we go with the current rate, you get the following chart.

I believe RedBull will make up a bit of ground and increase their average points per race, but I also believe that Mercedes won't have a DNF every 5 races. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mercedes wraps the WCC up in Singapore - it would be even earlier if it wasn't for double points.
Last edited by tim|away on 13 May 2014, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

user001
user001

####
Last edited by user001 on 20 May 2014, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

tim|away wrote:After 5 races, Mercedes has 197 points, RedBull has 84. That's an average rate of 39.4 points per race for Mercedes and 16.8 points per race for RedBull. If we go with the current rate, you get the following chart.

http://s27.postimg.org/x5kfc2z8z/f1_wcc_2014.gif

I believe RedBull will make up a bit of ground and increase their average points per race, but I also believe that Mercedes won't have a DNF every 5 races. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mercedes wraps the WCC up in Singapore - it would be even earlier if it wasn't for double points.
Not that it matters for the sake of discussion, but your RedBull and Merc graphs need a step up for Abu Dhabi, because of double points.

notsofast
notsofast

Hmmm, based on the chart and on the poll choices, I'm concluding that I'm not allowed to believe that Red Bull will get worse this season.

tim|away
tim|away

beelsebob wrote:Not that it matters for the sake of discussion, but your RedBull and Merc graphs need a step up for Abu Dhabi, because of double points.
Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed the chart in the post above.

Whilst I'm here, let's assume that Mercedes will finish 1+2 for the remaining races and RedBull will grab 3+4 for the remaining races - no DNF for either team. Singapore is looking more and more likely, especially if you consider that the russian GP is looking a bit questionable. For the WCC to not be decided in Singapore, Mercedes needs more DNFs than RedBull or RedBull needs to close the gap and start fighting for first and second positions. It's pretty sad that this is a rather optimistic assumption for RedBull: 100% reliability and getting both cars in at 3rd and 4th, beating all other best of the rest teams for the remaining races.