puzzling Airbox

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ZondaV12
ZondaV12

puzzling Airbox

Can anybody explain it to me why the airbox is facing the wrong way?
Cheers!

Holm86

Re: puzzling Airbox

Could be either to take advantage of the high pressure zone above the rear wing, or to remove some of that high pressure. Perhaps a combo?

gary123

It never raced with that configuration. Honda did that many times at the starting grid those day's.

ZondaV12
ZondaV12

Yeah,that seems logical,maybe that peculiar arrangement was used to keep the intake dust free before the race?

langwadt
langwadt

ZondaV12 wrote:Yeah,that seems logical,maybe that peculiar arrangement was used to keep the intake dust free before the race?
yeh maybe they need access to something behind the roll hoop and reversing was the easiest way to store it while keeping a lid on the intakes

strad

looking to get clear air. I would think much like the scoops on many road cars that take their air from the dead air close to the windshield. just lookin for cleaner air. You do not want turbulent air for the airbox.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Is there a photo of the car with such intake arrangement and engine cover on? I've never seen one and it must definitely look different if this is an actual race position and not just a service access position.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

spinmastermic

Its in that position to get access to the oil tank.

matt21

But wasn´t the oiltank not at the gearbox?

ZondaV12
ZondaV12

Dragonfly wrote:Is there a photo of the car with such intake arrangement and engine cover on? I've never seen one and it must definitely look different if this is an actual race position and not just a service access position.
no,I am sure one can't put the engine cover on with that intake. A service access position as you suggested seems to be the most probable thing.

Tim.Wright

My guess is that they are warming the engine up, possibly without the air filter or with something inside the airbox to aid the warm up. Putting the air intake on backwards could then have been done as a tell tale to ensure that the intake is not left in this configuration for the race.
Not the engineer at Force India

FW17

Tim.Wright wrote:My guess is that they are warming the engine up, possibly without the air filter or with something inside the airbox to aid the warm up. Putting the air intake on backwards could then have been done as a tell tale to ensure that the intake is not left in this configuration for the race.
Tim, do they do engine warm up on the grid?