So wait... No one complaining about Russia holding a GP?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: So wait... No one complaining about Russia holding a GP?

Lycoming wrote:Maybe because the civil unrest is in Ukraine, not Russia.
Maybe because the reason of the unrest over there IS Russia ?

They shot down mh17 killing many innocent people; them, or the Ukranians. Either way, it wouldn't have happened if Russia (Putin) possessed the grace to respect another nation's sovereignty and not pry their f***ng noses into others' business.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

AnthonyG

The rise of ISIS wouldn't have hapened if America did the same...

(Not wanting to turn this allready political thread more political, but you get the point I hope)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AnthonyG wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
mep wrote:Whats wrong with Russia?
Any good arguments for not going there?
Let's see...

Human rights violations is reason enough.

Then you should also protest the British GP, American GP and probably a host of other GP's...
Exactly so - except for perhaps the Monaco, Canadian and Belgian GPs, the rest all have poor human rights current or historic (based on a modern Western idea of human rights of course - at the time many wouldn't have considered it a problem). And I'm not even sure about those three countries to be honest.

If we want to start to ban race locations based on human rights issues then we'd be severely limited in where we could race.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cam

Perhaps that's a good thing? Sleeping well at night with a clear conscience is worth more to some than others.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

GitanesBlondes

AnthonyG wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:
mep wrote:Whats wrong with Russia?
Any good arguments for not going there?
Let's see...

Human rights violations is reason enough.

Then you should also protest the British GP, American GP and probably a host of other GP's...
Nice red herring that has nothing to do with Russia.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

beelsebob
beelsebob

bhall II
bhall II

Cam

"political neutrality is fundamental to the FIA's role as the governing body of international motor sport. No compromise or violation of this neutrality is acceptable",[46] which is reflected in Article 1 of the FIA Statutes, which states that "the FIA shall refrain from manifesting racial, political or religious discrimination in the course of its activities and from taking any action in this respect."[50]
One could suspect that the FiA has as much formal qualifications in politics and humanity, as Charlie Whiting has in engineering, and that works out well all the time...
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

Pierce89

AnthonyG wrote:The rise of ISIS wouldn't have hapened if America did the same...

(Not wanting to turn this allready political thread more political, but you get the point I hope)
I sure hope you don't live in western Europe, eastern Asia, or Australia, because virtually every well developed nation in the world has an atrocious human rights record. I don't really see why you're singling out the US, unless you're an uneducated bandwagon jumper.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

strad

So we're keeping score?
Sept. 1, 1983: A Soviet fighter jet shoots down a Korean Air Lines passenger jet en route from New York to Seoul, purportedly mistaking the craft for a spy plane
—April 20, 1978: An off-course South Korean jetliner carrying 110 people is attacked by a Soviet MiG fighter and is forced to crash land on a frozen lake near Murmansk, killing two passengers
—April 20, 1978: An off-course South Korean jetliner carrying 110 people is attacked by a Soviet MiG fighter and is forced to crash land on a frozen lake near Murmansk, killing two passengers
I suggest since this serves no purpose that we lock 'er down Judy.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pierce89

Because Iran and Maylasia behave in real similar ways, huh? Iran's actions over the years have absolutely caused everything that's happened to them over the years.

The US oversteps ALL THE TIME, but when it comes to Iran, the government hides nefarious activity behind civilians ALL THE TIME and that is why that sort of things seems to happen a lot when Iran is involved. I mean...they kidnapped the Isreali olymipc team, is that how you deal with political disagreements?

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but Iran was a HORRIBLE example.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Cam

strad wrote:So we're keeping score?
Sept. 1, 1983: A Soviet fighter jet shoots down a Korean Air Lines passenger jet en route from New York to Seoul, purportedly mistaking the craft for a spy plane
I suggest since this serves no purpose that we lock 'er down Judy.
This is one of those topics that should be discussed. Burying heads in the sand won't solve anything. You cannot click "Ignore" hope it goes away - no matter how easy it is for some to do so.

Rationale discussion, showing all sides and views, should be encouraged. That is the point of a forum? The mods simply need to 'moderate' any extremist or factually wrong information.

Where F1 races and why is important. As fans, we have a say in that.
― Socrates

Moxie
Moxie

This is not directed at anyone specific. It is intended to point out the silliness of complaining about global politics in an online F1 forum.

The F1 aspect of this issue solves itself. I don't care which side of an issue you are on, my point remains the same. You can whine like a little kid, or you can turn off the TV, and cancel your premium sports package a real message. If you don't like the fact that F1 will run in Russia, pull the plug and tell your provider why. If you don't like the fact that F1 runs in the USA, you can do the same. If you want to send the message that Bernie's blood money is OK with you, just keep paying to watch blood money GP's. What ever you do, don't wag fingers at someone else if you are not willing to make the small personal sacrifice of changing your viewing habits.

beelsebob
beelsebob

You guys appear to have misinterpreted me. The intent of my message was not to stir political --- - it was to highlight that a having government that attacks civilians in a time of war is not a reason (apparently) for the FIA to not host a race in your country.

xpensive
xpensive

beelsebob wrote:You guys appear to have misinterpreted me. The intent of my message was not to stir political --- - it was to highlight that a having government that attacks civilians in a time of war is not a reason (apparently) for the FIA to not host a race in your country.
But a government that seeks areal xpansion at the xpense of its less powerful neighbors indeed is.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"