2014/15 Silly Season

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SectorOne

Re: 2014/15 Silly Season

CBeck113 wrote: When tehy closed Hamilton's deal they weren't in the position that they are in now. And by giving Nico 18mil/ year they are definitely making a statement to the second driver, whoever it may be.
But this is all based on the assumption that Hamilton will leave the team.
Or that if he doesn´t, his deal will be less then the current one.

Rosberg´s deal i believe is worth more today, in the position they are in right now, then when they signed him in 2010.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

CBeck113
CBeck113

It could also be the same, which would be a loss only for Lewis...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

SectorOne

Just assumptions so far though.
What we do know more or less is that Nico got an increase in pay during their highest success so far.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stewilkinson
stewilkinson

There's no real need for Lewis to sit down and arrange a new deal this summer unless they're desperate to lock him down beyond 2015, and therefore will offer him thereabouts what he's on already otherwise he just won't agree. After that, if he wins the championship it'll be a good negotiating tool for extra pay, if he loses it then it won't be by much so he'll still be looking at something around what Nico has been offered; still healthy and a world championship winning car. Also, Mercedes have extra marketing potential in the UK with Lewis in one of their cars.

Racer X

Im pretty sure its an increase i doubt they could even pay him more then this back when they were not being successful. Lewis will have to take a similar deal if he wants to remain i mean Nico has show that hes just as good and if he does leave they can just make Nico the number one driver so if anything its Hamiltons loss if he goes. So if he stays he will have to take a similar contract or he will need to start dominating Nico completely. But Mercedez could easily replace him with say Hulk or some one else..
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

PlatinumZealot

Racer X wrote:Im pretty sure its an increase i doubt they could even pay him more then this back when they were not being successful. Lewis will have to take a similar deal if he wants to remain i mean Nico has show that hes just as good and if he does leave they can just make Nico the number one driver so if anything its Hamiltons loss if he goes. So if he stays he will have to take a similar contract or he will need to start dominating Nico completely. But Mercedez could easily replace him with say Hulk or some one else..
In some sports you don't have to be the best player or deliver the most points/goals to be the highest paid. Sometimes you get paid for your "X" factor:- scoring that goal that wins Championships in dire moments.. the "clutch" type of Athlete..

Rosberg is a pretty good solid driver but he hasn't proven to be a Game changer over the years. Sure, the car is the fastest now so yeah it doesn't matter an average driver can win with it, but Mercedes will need the "X factor" driver to draw the rabbit out of the hat when times are tougher. That driver who keeps your team in the game... That driver that will carry the entire team on his back when the car is a dog (think Alonso at Ferrari).

For this reason Hamilton will always be paid more than Rosberg at Mercedes even if Rosbergs wins the WDC with them. They know what's up. They know when the car is dog who will be the one saving the Mercedes name from embarrassment.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

Maldonado staying for 2015 as of now at least.
-

Regarding negotiations with Hamilton,
“We are already sitting together and negotiating with Lewis Hamilton. About a multi-year contract, even,” he revealed.
Wolff said Mercedes is more than happy with its current driver lineup of German Rosberg alongside Briton Hamilton.
“Lewis is a fixed part of the team,” he said, “and I would hope for a long time to come.”
“My contract ends in a year,” said Hamilton, “so I have time. I’m not thinking a great deal about it.”
But even Rosberg seems happy for Hamilton to stay, even though they have clashed off the track this year as they fight for the drivers’ title.
“I see no reason why it can’t work as it has in the long term,” he told Germany’s Bild am Sonntag newspaper ahead of the German grand prix.
“We have difficult moments but then we discuss them together and move on.” (GMM)

http://thisisf1.com/2014/07/20/mercedes ... -hamilton/
I have a feeling that we will see Hamilton in a red car in about 2-3 years, possibly replacing Alonso.

zeph
zeph

Joe Saward speculates that Alonso is the key to this year's drivers market.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/07/ ... -fernando/

He mentions all options and confirms that McLaren wants him.

So the choice would be, stay put at Ferrari and see what James Allison can do for next season, McLaren where Boullier, Prodromou and Honda could deliver a nice surprise, or perhaps Williams where he'd be reunited with Pat Symonds...

I don't know what will happen, but I'd weep with joy if Alonso were to win the WDC in a McLaren-Honda...

...actually, at this point I don't really care in what car, as long as he friggin' bags another one.

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Speculation abound that Mclaren and Mercedes are after Vettel - rumours spurned by Helmut Marko. Button still fending off questions about his future.

Personally I don't see why either of those teams would go for Vettel. Why not go for RIC or ALO instead, also, would Merc really want another German driver? HAM is very marketable.

prince
prince

Sometimes success makes one go blind and lose the rationale of thought process. Wouldn't it be, prejudiced and self damaging on Mercedes' part to lose a driver like Hamilton? I haven't seen any team, either today or in the past, having these stupid emotions of One Country feelings and Operating to win. It is there for everyone to see what happened when Arrogance drove decision making at Ferrari in 2006. At Mercedes, when German bosses make it apparent that they prefer German instead of a Briton, would it continue to motivate people at Brackley and Bricksworth? When Ross Brawn hired Hamilton, he mentioned Hamilton to be part of the solution for the problems they are trying to resolve. There is nothing "Awe Inspiring" about, either Toto or Paddy and neither is particularly known for SETTING UP things for future. Only time would tell if they prove themselves to be EMOTIONAL MORONS or practical and sporting leaders. It is easy at the moment to get in to the lure of making arrogant decision, which success normally drives people to do. Which way would they go? Interesting fun ahead.

FoxHound

My word, do you have matching Lewis Hamilton curtains, duvet cover and sheets?

You are spot on about Toto and Paddy, they would never let their drivers race each other, and they sure as hell cannot manage a title challenge.
This is all part of some elaborate plot by those dastardly Germans!

Or, it could be that....whisper it....Rosberg ain't so bad.
Last edited by FoxHound on 26 Jul 2014, 12:27, edited 1 time in total.
JET set

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

I am finding this Hamilton conspiracy theory hard to handle. Rosberg is doing a better job at the moment and has had a bit more luck. Simple. What if Nico's car breaks down for 5 races in a row? No conspiracy?

I really want to see Massa gone in 2015, he is taking up a spot in a good car.

FW17

Will Alonso opt for a 1 year contract with Williams while he waits for 2016

SectorOne

I don´t see why he would. 5 seasons invested in Ferrari all for nothing. I don´t think he wants to be anywhere else other then Ferrari.

FW17

SectorOne wrote:I don´t see why he would. 5 seasons invested in Ferrari all for nothing. I don´t think he wants to be anywhere else other then Ferrari.
Do you think Ferrari would disclose to Alonso how much HP their new engine is making? that would be key to him staying or leaving the team. If they want to convince him, install an evolution of the development engine for one of the practice sessions to show they have made a huge step forward to match Merc.

Of the other options

McLaren - Honda is unknown and Ron would not accept a 1 year wait and see contract

Merc - No seat till 2016

Williams - will be possible for a 1 year contact while he waits on Merc or Mclaren