10000 rpm only!?!?!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I remember when Max first raised the topic of one engine per race, and his faultless logic in reducing costs. Of course, as we all know, costs for engines are higher than ever.
But for this round of proposals, I really wonder who Max is listening to. Not the fans, definitely. The teams? Naw, it has to be manufacturers. The trend is to move GP engines closer to their road-going counterparts. The history if F1 has always had engines that were built solely for Grand Prix, were tuned to within an inch of blowing up, and had nothing to do with road going cars. But a 2.4 liter V-8? Or a 2.2 liter V-6? Hmm, if we don't watch out, Toyota or Honda will be soon advertising that you can drop a Formula One engine into their luxury cars......and the truly sad part is they would be technically correct.

Do not be surprised (if these proposals actually became real) to see that in ten years, all engines had to be constructed from a block that came off an assembly line.
And if these "moving closer to an environmentally freindlier F1" sound scary, I just need to mention one very, very scary word.... MUFFLERS. yikes.

modbaraban
modbaraban

this reminds me of WRC :roll:

Tifoso

tomislavp4 wrote:Let´s do something, I´m in whatever it is.... :evil:

We can ask other forums for help also, together, I think we could get quite big number of people :roll:
I will ask some friends who know quite about F1. I may include that point in my latter to Aldo Costa :lol:

checkered

Many interesting viewpoints

so far in this thread. Ian P’s original figures are interesting and 1025 BHP certainly is excessive, even for F1 since for most parts of the tracks, there’s just no use for such amount of power. It is another matter, though, whether there’s any point in making a diesel rev to 10000 RPM as Persovik pointed out. I certainly can’t remember seeing anything like that anywhere and certainly wish that if anyone has, he/she would post about it here. The useful diesel powerband tends to be on the narrow side.

It is possible, though, that such a unit wouldn’t need a multi turbo configuration, as I understand it VTG is already a proven technology. It is simple (at least on a conceptual level) and addresses both the lag problem and alleviates those harmful emissions. Ian, I’d like you to post any relevant links/information on the Toyota presentation, though, if you can. I’m fully aware that, ironically, current biofuel technology is completely unsustainable and in many cases immoral, too. It both stresses and depletes arable land, fresh water and allocates resources that we need for food production towards producing energy. The workforces on the superfarms are in dire straits to say the least.

But speaking of shortsightedness (and I agree with Persovik that what MM is suggesting is at least partly a knee-jerk reaction coupled with a desire to dictate innovation a priori), do not dismiss converting energy to a usable form with a biological cycle. There are huge swaths of largely uninhabited areas unfit for food production on this earth, a tiny fraction of which would be needed for industrial scale algae or bacterial biomass/biofuel production. I find it worrying that Toyota deems it necessary to dismiss any advances in biofuel production beyond the current capabilities.

I don’t quite know why would the EPA want to “kill off” diesels. They get superb MPG, are versatile and the emissions are going down. I can only reflect that to Al Gore’s statement in “An Inconvenient Truth” that Ford, GM and Chrysler can’t export many of their models to China because they have more stringent emission standards. (I can only presume this applies only to new cars ...) The EU is also introducing ever stricter standards for diesels (particle filters required) but I don’t think that is particularly designed to disadvantage that particular technology economically.

Thank you also to enkidu, I leafed your link through and it seems bio-butanol certainly warrants some more attention ... whenever I have the time.

I agree with Dave that MM propably is too eager to play into the hands of manufacturers and propably the energy sector (don’t forget that) has his ear, too. There’s little sense in people from Saudi and Dubai to invest heavily in F1 and related theme parks if they don’t have a significant say about what’s going to happen. I hope MM doesn’t suggest biofuels at this point in time just so that the idea can be concluded to be unfeasible – since it won’t be that later on, at least. The 2.2 l turbodiesel proposal also seems to be designed to attract more manufacturers into F1, most notably VW/Audi and Peugeot ( ... and Peugeot) and I wonder if this scheme is tied to some behind the scenes negotiations. Interstingly, also Zytec has a lot of recent knowhow on diesel-electric hybrids too.

Funny thing, I kinda saw this electric-diesel hybrid proposal coming miles away. Ferrari is one team thinking years on ahead and when the homologation started towards the latter part of last season, none other than the long-time technical director Paolo Martinelli moved from Ferrari to FIAT to be the technical engine director and I also vaguely remember it written that he’d be particularly involved in diesels. That was an “a-ha” moment of sorts, but later on I wavered in my conclusion since some other knowledgeable people seemed to completely dismiss the idea. Maybe the uncharacteristically high rev limit has something to do with the hybridization, the pressure ratio/powerband is more advantageous in higher revs when assisted by an electric motor and a turbo in unison, compared to a “traditional” diesel, perhaps?

Personally, I don’t mind if sustainability becomes a pillar of F1. Efficiency, IMHO, is totally in line with competitiviness. But equally, if “green” values are just used as a trojan horse for questionable politics, business practices, vested interests and such, I’ll be pretty pissed off. The proposals are so specific that it is hard not to think the future has already been pretty much decided on. Some might claim that’s nothing out of the ordinary and that’s just how the World works. Only this goes fundamentally into why F1 exists and why many very capable people are attracted to it. Road car relevance isn’t a one way street and one must question whether we’ve got the priorities straight if most of the technology flows from the streets to the tracks and not the other way around.

I wonder if the manufacturers and energy producers are truly so creeped about someone beyond their walls getting bright ideas? Evidently they are, but F1 could also be the perfect venue for innovations/-ors and manufacturers to meet in a “safe environment”, the sport acting as a kind of a mediator and a proving ground. Nimble and capable execs should be able to find and convert bright ideas into products instead of devising or demanding five-year one-size-fits-all plans. The latter practice was the modus operandi of USSR’s central commission’s economists, for crying out loud.

In short, the more people make a profit, the more profit there is in total. Profit comes in economical, societal, environmental and personal terms. Enough of these shenanigans with these micromanaged suggestions, that’s small fries, try and see inventiveness as a renewable resource, too.

And btw, if you didn’t follow the links, do, perhaps they’ll shed some light on my train of thought. At least I hope so. Here’s one PDF even I haven’t read properly yet!

checkered

Well, Mario Theissen has been

pretty quick to weigh in on the subject and he sounds – with careful wording – supportive. He uses the words “just as exciting” and “generally ... positive move”, which can entail pretty much anything really, about a “greener and relevant” Formula 1.
”The ambition to pioneer road-relevant technology through Formula One certainly will be beneficial to the role Formula One plays and the positioning of Formula One. ... The difficult issue is certainly to keep costs under control and it will be important to make sure that really only road car-relevant technology will be put into the regulations in order to have this technology transfer and pioneering role."
To “pioneer”, it has to be noted, need not involve actual innovation but just using F1 as a primary showcase of technologies invented elsewhere. I guess that’s where the manufacturers want to “position” F1. Again, there’s no mention as to the direction of the technology transfer which I’m afraid will mean that the transfer won’t originate with F1 and that the manufacturers only want to control which technologies are used and to what effect. Sure enough, big car companies do many a wonderful thing in R&D, but if this “support” in real terms becomes an exercise in monopolizing and thus restricting innovation and free market competition, the future might end up being bleaker and less advanced than it should be. And, I believe, less profitable too.

Formula One Manufacturers’ Advisory committee will be discussing the way forward amongst themselves, plus notably Ford and VW/Audi (but not Peugeot?) which makes it ever clearer that there’s an orchestrated courtship going on to get more people involved.

The FIA has referred to F1’s “gas-guzzling” image and the need to overhaul it as the “public” is concerned about the environment. Well, for f**k’s sake! If people are informed and educated enough to think about these things rationally, and most everyone who has even a passing interest and knowledge about F1 does, they will recognize that if an innovative team comes up with a technology that in F1 configuration uses a substantial amount of energy in 24 cars every once in a while but ends up saving, say, 50% of the energy used by 700 million road going vehicles that’s a VERY, VERY GOOD THING. In the magnitude of “Nobel prize-worthy” developments, I might add.

There’s also a “don’t worry” reference to noise levels staying high. Well, as far as I’m concerned, even if you cut the intensity of the current sound by half, the acoustic experience would remain overwhelming to an absurd degree. On the subject of biofuels, Theissen only has to point to the obvious: the quantities available and the sustainability of those is currently questionable. Easy, then, to state that they “generally support” the idea nonetheless ... how’bout investing heavily in meeting the challenge? The alternative grows ever more unattractive day by day as well, in political, social and environmental terms.
"If we don't want to go below 10,000 rpm, then diesel is not an option," said Theissen.
On that note, I tried to find out about Audi R10’s and Peugeot 908 HDi FAP’s (the marketing people couldn’t come up with a better designation?!) rev range but came away empty handed, still. Thus I can’t tell whether these engines are even close to the suggested F1 range. And again, the power with these parameters is apparently projected to be 770 BHP, while I think the LMP turbos produce around 3.0 BAR pressure already. And, according to Ian P.’s extrapolation, 2.5 BAR boost could produce 1025 BHP ... perhaps there’s more to this than meets the eye.

Anyhoo, I hope I wasn’t too critical, too soon. Let me know. All quotes and factual info about Theissen’s opinions are from here (Autosport.com), better read that article in its own right, too, and you’ll avoid my tinted glasses. Btw, I had to correct the Peugeot LMP link for the previous message, not my fault as such, the address had changed overnight.

checkered

Read through

the thursday press conference (with Theissen, Dennis, Todt and Fry), they discussed the 2011 proposal extensively. Based on that, there's still a lot that's genuinely undecided, so perhaps at least some of my worries are unfounded - though Ron did raise the question, too, whether the manufacturers should play a more decisive role than they currently are. He even seemed a bit combative over various questions. What I found positive was that Mario seemed to defend the role of aero in F1. I won't quote it all here, there's just too much text. Check the exchange out at http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59115 , for example.

ss_collins
ss_collins

I'd suggest you all take a look at Racecar's view on the same topic, which was in our may issue. I think these are both features that can be traced back to the same office in Paris both put out to try to spur the teams into acting

Mikey_s
Mikey_s

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to checkered for some great posts and good links.

I think there is some danger of going over ground that has already been covered in a number of other topics, but to return to a favourite hobby horse of mine I think that if F1 is to go green Max/FIA must let the engineers innovate, instead of which they continually tie them up in regulations.

The internal combustion engine (ICE) is famously innefficient - wanna go green? let them innovate. Typical engine losses for ICEs are 62%, the following link gives a good idea of where all the energy goes;
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv.shtml

From that link you can see that about 15% of the energy you put into the fuel tank ends up propelling you forwards. But 62% is lost by using an ICE... Give them a finite amount of energy to start the race and let the clever peolpe show how clever they can be...

And as for biofuels... that has to be very carefully thought through, otherwise it's just as likely to end up 'costing the earth'. go to the CONCAWE website http://www.concawe.be/Content/Default.asp? and download their report on biofuels and Greenhouse gas emission, it's a very well balanced report and a fascinating read... however, it doesn;t give the whole story; when we have the vast tracts of oil seed rape growing then it might be time to sdtart thinking about biodiversity and the impact on land use...

My 2 euro cents is that the single biggest loss in energy comes from the powerlplant... wanna fix the problem, start with the biggest loser and change that. Only problem is that the manufacturers have a pretty large stake in ICEs and might not wish to change that.

Ho hum, roll on sunday!
Last edited by Mikey_s on 25 May 2007, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

checkered

Thank you

ss_collins and Mikey_s, I'll check those out. Mosley has indicated that Ford and VW/Audi are just "helping out" and unlikely to enter F1:
"I don't think there is any suggestion that either of those companies will come into Formula One.

But from our point of view, if we can involve two or even more (uncommitted) major manufacturers at board level in our discussions on possible future regulations, their input will be very helpful because they are disinterested about the technologies we should incorporate.

They promised to do the best they can to help us."
Meanwhile, what's the point in removing traction control, if it's reintroduced in a couple of years anyway?

bizadfar
bizadfar

Giblet wrote:When V8s's were coming down the pipes, we were all up in arms, but the cars to most people have lost little value, because the sound while choppier, is still extreme due to the high revs.

A move to a quiet engine will be pretty pointless as of course now the pressures are going to become extreme again.

rrrrrrrrrr*PASH*rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*PASH*rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

If slicks come back to handle the monster tourque these engines will produce, they will still be an incredible driving experience, but Max forgets this is still a spectator sport first, a constructors arena second, and a manufacturers arena third.

If things change drastically in the middle east by 2011, which I'm sure somewhow they will, petrol prices will either shoot to the moon or return to earth. Biofuels are only currently viable because petrol prices are so high.

F1 did turbo motors years ago. Lets let them get started on the 20kg energy reclaiming system.
I have not attended an F1 race since 2002. I attended Melbourne in 07 and it was absolutely different and dare I say inferior to the screamer Mercedes in 01 and the bass heavy Ferrari in 01/02.

Plus the sale of earplugs went down too hahaha.

Max should be overthrown. He is out of his mind and still hasn't recognised he has somewhat played around the sport so much in the last years like an impulsive idiot.

checkered

Well, to contrast what

Formula One is doing towards 2011, Indy Racing League seems to have a project of their own. They have partnered with Art Center College of Design (Pasadena, CA) to ...
"... challenge students in the school's Transportation Design, Environmental Design, Product Design and Illustration/Entertainment Design departments to imagine the future of the IndyCar Series and to address a real world challenge in smart and stylish ways.

Students will have the opportunity to design a hallmark IndyCar Series car of the future. Potentially, a refined concept from the project could be competing in the 2011 Indianapolis 500 (the race's centennial).

Students also have been asked to consider a variety of facets in the world of racing, from fan experiences and entertainment at the track to real-time motion simulators and video games -- and beyond. Ultimately, the design solutions created by the students are intended to provide a preview of the overall, unique racing experience for an IndyCar Series fan in the year 2011 and position the new IndyCar Series car as the core element.

IndyCar 2011 will take place during the school's summer term (through Aug. 18, 2007). League officials also will participate in a research and development update, a mid-term review and a final presentation on August 9."
Actually, not bad, not bad at all I think. And the schedule is pretty brisk, too. Watch this space!

http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=8988
http://www.artcenter.edu/
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/37623/

checkered

And as if

Formula One didn't need to be reminded why there should be precautions in place when asking manufacturers about developments that span beyond 2011 ... here's Renault CEO Ghosn giving his rationale for the company's involvement in the sport:
"What is important for me is the trend. ... If I am in a situation where we are number four or number five and we have no hope to do better, be part of the show or win again, then I say why are we participating? ...

We are not going to be here to say ' me too, I am also in Formula One'. ... We don't want to do that. But ups and downs, we are used to it.

I am very confident that the team is going to do a much better in the second half of the season than the first. ... And again we want to continue to be part of the show at the best level.

We are here to win, to perform. I cannot reasonably ask Flavio to win every year, I cannot expect that every single year the team is going to be number one. But you have to be always part of the show. You have to be part of the two or three teams that can make it for the year. That is very important."
Disregarding some finer nuances that might also be a bit objectionable in that statement, one need only suppose that every manufacturer expects the same of F1 - to always have the possibility of a championship guaranteed to realize that there is no chance for every manufacturers' raison d'être to be entertained.

At least not in any sporting way that I can think of.

manchild
manchild

Tifoso wrote:Is there a minimal possiblitie of writing a complaint letter to the FIA? :oops:
Yes there is and it has same chance of success as writing a letter to Kim Jong-Il asking him to introduce democracy.

Has anyone noticed the following stupidity? :arrow: For 2008 and beyond Max banned TC and for 2011 he legalized TC again! So, for 3 years banning of TC will do good for F1, make it more popular, increase overtaking etc. but after those 3 years banned TC will be become bad for F1, make it less popular, decrease overtaking etc. so he'll reintroduce it. The (mad)man is denying quality of his 2008 regulations before they've even introduced and despite that they will be introduced even though he has announced that 2008 regulations are bad and that he'll change them for 2011.

That is REALLY dilettantish way to plan future!

Imagine CEO of some company having proposed this as a future policy:

1. In the next 3 years well close our factories with modern technology because it is not profitable to use modern technology.
2. After those 3 years we'll re-open those factories because it is profitable to use modern technology.

How long would he keep his CEO position after suggesting that as a future policy to shareholders and board of directors? Max is keeping his even though he does nothing but screws up year after year.

modbaraban
modbaraban

manchild wrote:
Tifoso wrote:Is there a minimal possiblitie of writing a complaint letter to the FIA? :oops:
Yes there is and it has same chance of success as writing a letter to Kim Jong-Il asking him to introduce democracy.
Where's the damn AMD FIA Poll :twisted:

m3_lover

You never hear anything about the CDG wing anymore
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.