Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Timstr
Timstr

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

freedom_honda

markn93 wrote:Anyone seen this? - https://twitter.com/takiinoue/status/517162876667441152

Genuine or have I/we been duped?
It's genuine. It came from Honda's official website.

http://world.honda.com/news/2014/c14100 ... tml?from=r

It doesn't look like they have a split turbo does it?

djos

freedom_honda wrote: It's genuine. It came from Honda's official website.

http://world.honda.com/news/2014/c14100 ... tml?from=r

It doesn't look like they have a split turbo does it?
Genuine yes, actual photo no .. it's clearly a computer render .. you can tell by the way the carbon fibre weave lines up perfectly on every single component.
"In downforce we trust"

Sasha
Sasha

Honda isn't going show anybody where the compressor will be located.Just a basic look for the non-technical fans.They will feel special that Honda shared a mock-up of their PU.

mikeerfol

Sasha wrote:Honda isn't going show anybody where the compressor will be located.Just a basic look for the non-technical fans.They will feel special that Honda shared a mock-up of their PU.
Scarbs believes it's "conceptually similar to the Renault unit "

EDIT From Honda's website
During the 2014 FIA Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix, Honda will offer a sneak preview film of the F1 power unit under development including the engine revving sound at the Honda stand at Suzuka Circuit (October 2 - 5, 2014). This video will be shared with the public via the Honda website and social media from October 6, 2014.

Facts Only
Facts Only

As with the early Mercedes and Renault pictures there is nothing in that picture of any technical relevance. The Bottom end and head will be a V8 CAD model with 1/4 chopped out, the cam covers are very crudely modelled just to add the FIA standard mounting points (which are just a tube with no detail, these are highly developed on the actual engines) and you can see the model doesn't actually match the head either. The Compressor, Inlet and Exhaust are in the casing because there is likely no CAD there at all and the Turbine housing is just a rough model which is given away by the horrid shapes in the inlet tracts.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Richard
Richard

Yup, it seems to be extensively shrouded in black and silver covers in order to show nothing.

It's like the car teasers when fanboys get excited about a sneak pic of last year's car under a sheet, or the time when Ferrari used a McLaren image for their teaser pics.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Looks fast.

bigblue

Re: Honda Power Unit

xpensive
xpensive

From these images it would seem that Honda is not employing a split turbo, but that is probably a deception.

Below all images it is noted; * This diagram does not represent Honda’s actual power unit.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

KingHamilton01

So people's idea's that Honda won't have an engine ready for McLaren test are unfounded, come next season a lot of people are going to be eating the word's with regard to the competitiveness of the engine imo.
McLaren Mercedes

aral
aral

KingHamilton01 wrote:So people's idea's that Honda won't have an engine ready for McLaren test are unfounded, come next season a lot of people are going to be eating the word's with regard to the competitiveness of the engine imo.
Mate. it's a mock up. No internals etc, just a shell. Also Honda are having a problem with it's performance. Yeah, they may have an engine ready for McLaren, but will it be any use?

xpensive
xpensive

Not even that, it's just an animation, the real thing won't even look like that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard
Richard

The current status in their own words:
Yasuhisa Arai, Senior Managing Officer of Honda R&D Co., Ltd. wrote:In addition to conducting simulations, we have moved onto the next stage where we conduct full-fledged bench tests of the engine while connecting the turbocharger and energy recovery systems.
That still doesn't tell us much, only that they've moved onto the stage when the physical bits are bolted together. He doesn't even give a hint of a past or future tense. That statement could be true if the bits are in boxes on the way to the bench test. Equally it could also be true if the unit has had 1000's of hours of testing and demonstrated mind blowingly huge power with the frugality of fasting Cistercian.

ps - Don't forget the Merc PU press release showed a combined compressor and turbine ... http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... 662404.jpg

Sasha
Sasha

Honda way is they will just give you that dumb look when asked about their engine then only give very short answers that gets the reporter thinking they done nothing/behind on project or having problems.

When Honda greenlights a F1 PU,they test all the different types like it was a University reserch project.So there could be 2-5 PU types being tested at the moment.And for the first year they normally use the safe one(down on power but reliable)then add power later but this new Honda Management are now taking chances(just look at the new 2015 CR-V with 160ps 1.6L Diesel and ZF 9-Speed AT...that's not the old Honda!)