Ferrari LaFerrari

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
ringo

Re: Ferrari LaFerrari

Yeah, i agree that sliding the cars is very played out right now. It doesn't seem as elegant as compared to when it's simply down to how a car behaves. Truth is most of these journos need to have some kind of edge over the other, so they either have some eccentricity involved in their videos, some screaming and hollering like a little school girl, and then some power slides to top it off. There's not much else they can do to gain an edge however.
What i really like to see is the minor details on the cars, that don't necessarily have to do with how fast it is, or how good it can slide, the little stuff you notice as a car owner.
For Sure!!

AnthonyG

ringo wrote:Well if his videos are with english subtitles, then maybe i'll have an understanding.
Some are, you didn't find any?
Matthias Malmedy is also a good reviewer, but think he has any subtitled videos.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

MadMatt
MadMatt

Out of topic but yeah I have never liked Chris' tests. Talks like he knows everything, just because he dares to go a bit more technical than the usual big-audiance journalist. If you want to slide something just get a go-kart and go on an ice lake, no need of a 1 million $$ car for that imo. What we want to see is how the car is really in detail, how is the ride, how fast it is. Not some Ken Block action. Just my 2 cents.

George-Jung
George-Jung

Last edited by George-Jung on 03 Jun 2014, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

ringo wrote:Yeah, i agree that sliding the cars is very played out right now. It doesn't seem as elegant as compared to when it's simply down to how a car behaves. Truth is most of these journos need to have some kind of edge over the other, so they either have some eccentricity involved in their videos, some screaming and hollering like a little school girl, and then some power slides to top it off. There's not much else they can do to gain an edge however.
What i really like to see is the minor details on the cars, that don't necessarily have to do with how fast it is, or how good it can slide, the little stuff you notice as a car owner.
Now we can agree 100%.

SectorOne

MadMatt wrote:Out of topic but yeah I have never liked Chris' tests. Talks like he knows everything,
Well he certainly knows a lot,
He´s done at least two Nordschleife 24 hour events, believe he did SPA 6 hours as well and have done some classic races.

I´ve yet to see any better car journalists out there that has a better total package as Chris does.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bhall II
bhall II

Apparently, and despite official declarations to the contrary, LaFerrari has an all-electric mode.

SectorOne

So, yesterday, we saw some video of a LaFerrari tooling around a racetrack paddock under electric power only and everyone was like, "AHA! What's this!? Ferrari's been hiding this all-electric mode!"

But they haven't. At the LaFerrari press-launch, Ferrari's communications people were very clear about the car's ability to operate under electric power only. The exact wording escapes me, but basically the line was that the car wasn't intended to be run as an EV, but that owners had asked for an EV mode, even if it was only useful to move around a paddock or garage. As reported by Autoweek, the owners got their wish:

"Porsche's 918 and McLaren's P1 are both plug-in hybrids and both have limited all-electric range. Ferrari's battery is smaller than those in the McLaren and the Porsche, and Ferrari has included very limited all-electric capability at the request of some customers."

You can read the first drive here, with a closer look here. Obviously, we're giving our buddies at Jalopnik and Autoblog a bit of a hard time, but really, it would have been easy to miss that little bit of information on the LaFerrari. I don't know that it made it into any other report on the car.

One more bit of info: The car can also be plugged in, though in practice, it's more like running a trickle charger than charging an EV.

- See more at: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/la ... NBjwJ.dpuf
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Scotracer
Scotracer

With more LaF footage available I have a question I can't find an answer to: how long can the HY-KERS provide the additional power (i.e. how often is the available on a lap of a given circuit such as Monza can it have the full 950BHP at WOT)?

The KERS is 120kW but I cannot find the battery pack kWh nor the rate of regenerative braking potential/ICE generation.

On a full lap of the Nordschleife can it still have full power?
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

bhall II
bhall II

SectorOne wrote:[...]
Ferrari sang a slightly different tune at launch. From the press release:
LaFerrari in fact emits just 330 g/km of CO2 but without resorting to electric-only drive which would not fit the mission of this model. The HY-KERS system is, however, designed so that in future applications a car can be driven using exclusively electric power for a few kilometres and, during development testing, a full-electric version of LaFerrari achieved just 220 g/km of C02 emissions on the combined cycle.
Scotracer wrote:[...]

Because the car harvests energy from the brakes, ABS, "traction control," and the E-Diff, and because no car really uses full power all the time, LaFerrari should have full capability all the time. So, yeah.

mikep99
mikep99

MadMatt
MadMatt

Oh my. That looks mean as f***. I wonder how they're gonna make it 1 step further. I mean the McLaren P1 GTR, the Zonda R, and this Ferrari are really mean, what's the next step, the batmobile? Lamborghini explored that route already and it although it looks badass, I think some people will miss the classy, smooth lines! :)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lafe ... 2014-12-03

For F1T peps, numbers:

5400N of downforce at 200km/h, that's really not bad! :)

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

bhall II wrote:
SectorOne wrote:[...]
Ferrari sang a slightly different tune at launch. From the press release:
LaFerrari in fact emits just 330 g/km of CO2 but without resorting to electric-only drive which would not fit the mission of this model. The HY-KERS system is, however, designed so that in future applications a car can be driven using exclusively electric power for a few kilometres and, during development testing, a full-electric version of LaFerrari achieved just 220 g/km of C02 emissions on the combined cycle.
Scotracer wrote:[...]

Because the car harvests energy from the brakes, ABS, "traction control," and the E-Diff, and because no car really uses full power all the time, LaFerrari should have full capability all the time. So, yeah.
I wouldn't say that. The Nordschleife has a fairly high full throttle percentage, but it also doesn't have a lot of heavy braking areas. I think it's highly unlikely that it is able to have 950 hp 100% of the time on WOT. It is possible it may be able to constantly have short bursts of full electric power out of the corners over the full lap though, which is something the P1 absolutely cannot do (and probably why they never released a lap time since they will be 200 hp down for most of the lap).

The 918 probably has a reasonable chance of having 880 hp everywhere, so long as the electric motors are switched off on the long straights. From the 918 video, when the Lieb gets to the final long straight, he turns a dial on the steering wheel, which is probably him changing the car into the hot lap mode to deplete the battery along that final straight (where as before he would have been running in some hybrid mode).

Sevach
Sevach

Cold Fussion wrote: The 918 probably has a reasonable chance of having 880 hp everywhere, so long as the electric motors are switched off on the long straights. From the 918 video, when the Lieb gets to the final long straight, he turns a dial on the steering wheel, which is probably him changing the car into the hot lap mode to deplete the battery along that final straight (where as before he would have been running in some hybrid mode).
If you look at instruments in the 918 video, you can actually see the boost meter being slowly depleted and it runs out before the end of the lap (on that last long straight), i think Lieb ran the lap in hotlap mode and changed down near the end.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

It's possible but I would have thought it wouldn't make much sense to change out of hot lap mode once you reach the long straight because you have no real acceleration events after that long straight. The boost level would still go down throughout the lap in an aggressive hybrid mode, because there are a lot more opportunities to deploy the electric motors on power than there are too recovery the energy under braking.