Single Cylinder Research Engine

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Brian.G
Brian.G

Single Cylinder Research Engine

I was in two minds if I post this or not but looking through the engine picture thread gave me some motivation.

Ive been ranting and raving about designing and casting my own cylinder head for about 7yrs now. Every year I thought I was ready to start I either figured out something else I knew Id have to find out, or else come up against a problem when trying to design the thing. Its been a long and sometimes steep and frustrating slope at times keeping in mind that in that 7yrs I had to setup a small foundry and all that goes with that, and also locate a load of different companies that would sell me what I needed in small amounts. In that time I also purchased a cnc which I had to retrofit to modern controls which also meant learning about computers at a very basic level down to 1's and 0's, to learning about software packages to a some what higher level. Every thing you learn as you go means you have to learn seven other things to fully understand that first thing. Servo motor fundamentals was one as with a retrofit you have to tune said motors and so on. All this just to cast a cylinder head.

In the early days I worked on a bridgeport so the basics of machining I had pegged, but, with a cnc hitting cycle start and entering feeds was a different story entirely. Obviously you dont need a cnc to machine a cylinder head, but the accurate positioning helps loads.
In 7 odds years I have only cut moulds in 3d form on the mill a handfull of times. I find it quicker to just work off 2d drawings and build up the mould boxes that way - cutting whatever bits I need on the mill in 2.5D so to speak.
I know this sounds silly, but having trained as a cabinetmaker many moons ago making the mould boxes just comes easy to me. I guess whatever works, works.

Approximately a month ago I decided that a single cylinder engine would be a good Idea as a layout test for various parts within the head. Given the fact that it will have twin overhead cams, and four valves nothing will be that different in terms of casting the inline 4 16v head - which I hope to bolt onto a Mk2 Golf Gti block whenever its ready.

Its important to note that this single cylinder engine is not so much about the perfect head design, or the perfect engine design, rather its about a fairly good design that can be improved but that contains the critical elements in terms of mould building that the 'good design' inline 4 head will have.
Its also about materials and material durability, tolerances, and general reliability in terms of running.

Since I have no inertia dyno, or am not into bikes, its going to be tested on the lake near me in the form of an outboard engine.
The engine will contain a 3 piece balanced crank, steel conrod, billet piston, and sand cast aluminium crankcase, piston barrel, and cylinder head. To get over any coating issues In fitting a ductile iron liner to the barrel.
For fueling it will run a carb for simplicity, and something not yet figured out to control spark - Ideally advance would be good.
It will also feature pressurized oiling.
In terms of math, there is not much done with this. The dimensions fit various single cylinder engines across the board so an approx power figure can be guesstimated. There are however a few calculations done in terms of engine balance, and also the cross-section some parts need be be in various places so that the thing wont explode.
The barrel will be watercooled as well as the head and will pull its water from the outboard leg pump/onboard impeller and run a total loss coolant system via a stat as do all outboards.
As mentioned, this is a research engine, It is to research not power figures, but build ability, tolerances, wear, and also core shakeout/venting within the head coolant galleries.

Ill be adding to this between now and Novemeber-ish when Id ideally like to have it complete.

Ive designed and cast some pretty wild things in the past but none of them were what Id call 'my own'.

As for the reason, well there is no reason, some people like to play golf....Ive been craving to do this for 15yrs.

Brian,
If you think you cant, you wont, If you think you can, you will

Brian.G
Brian.G

Re: Single Cylinder Research Engine

A few shots of whats going on,

Conrod and crank machined from hardened/ground BÖHLER M300 steel I had left over from mould tooling,

Conrod inserts were cast in Manganese Bronze slugs and machined down/honed to suit.

Cap pinned for location, cross drillling for crank oilways yet to be added, assembly to be balanced once real piston weight is measured. (calculated for now using material density for conrod design calcs)

Brian,
Last edited by Brian.G on 24 Aug 2014, 23:13, edited 2 times in total.

Brian.G
Brian.G

A dry fit of the main mould for cylinder barrel,

And the waterway core and fire face mould - the barrel is closed deck in 8 places for stability, this also contain 4 blind bottle risers to feed heavy stud areas.

The finished item in semi machined state,

The AN boss,

The valves for scale,

Semi closed deck detail, machined for exact alignment to head ways

Brian,

flynfrog

Very nice Brian, didnt you cast a valve cover a few years ago?

Brian.G
Brian.G

flynfrog wrote:Very nice Brian, didnt you cast a valve cover a few years ago?
Ya, that was very simple though looking back....

Brian,

johnny99
johnny99

We need to do coffee Brian. Spark and that kinda stuff is no problem to me. Forget carb's, fuel injection is so much easier and so much more control. Knowing you, your going to build it, then try to make it more efficient, thats when a carb is pain in the arse.

John

GSBellew
GSBellew

Nice work as usual Brian, was wondering if you were still working on this.

Will be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes =D>

Brian.G
Brian.G

Ah a carb is fine John, Ill have enough stuff for thinking about! This is going on an outboard engine too remember so not having an electric fuel pump, ecu and battery will be a bonus. I do like efi, but its something I cant get into at the minute as I have to understand everything fully at a near atomic level before going with something, and that would be another year gone :lol:
I dont really mind how fuel efficient this will be as its solely a 'figuring it all out in my head/practice' excursion before I dive into the 4 cylinder head.

Gearoid, good to see you on here!

Meant to mention barrel is LM24 - same as what Ill be using for the 4 pot head, and also the same as will be used on this test head so bearing surfaces will be of interest for me there. I plan to insert chills at all bearing areas to refine grain structure there.

Brian,

johnny99
johnny99

For ignition have a look at the megajolt. You could always drive a VAG/Opel distributer of the camshaft. Remove 3 of the 4 pieces that drive the ignition

John

Brian.G
Brian.G

johnny99 wrote:For ignition have a look at the megajolt. You could always drive a VAG/Opel distributer of the camshaft. Remove 3 of the 4 pieces that drive the ignition

John
Ya, played with mega jolt a lot - its a bulky unit though and even the current one is pretty big too - Im sure Ill figure something out.

Two early drawings below of many for the cylinder head - I always to this day do everything in 2d and section drawings at various points. I then bring into 3d as Im going to make sure it all looks ok. 3d models are often overrated at times and are sometimes nothing more than pretty pictures that are impossible to manufacture. I always treat them as a aid to 2d layout on something like this - as mentioned, whatever works for you_works.

The render below is done with AutoDesk 123D Design - its free rendering software I was asked to try out, its nice and simple so maybe useful to students or those starting out before jumping into a 5Keuro suite of Solidworks.

The port model in the 2d drawing above is only a representation nearing the correct size of a chosen port model that has been flow tested on a bench and that proved satisfactory - it is this actual real model that is used to form the port sand core.

Stay tuned for slow updates...

Brian,

Brian.G
Brian.G

Located a set of bike carbs that Im happy with so stripping them down to use just one - want to measure it up so I can pencil in the port o/d on the drawings so I can just mount it on there with a rubber coupling. Pics of carb later.

Brian,

coaster

Beautiful workmanship, critique; the shortside radius is huge and pushes the port into the valvespring area.
I would copy the ports from the Hart V10 now made famous on this site by a certain unnamed person we may know?
M300 sets like High Speed Steel are after heating, it's punch steel yeah?
Brian, also could you give us a few pics of your mill and lathe please? Any vintage iron? Cnc?

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Yeah Brian, - how's the 'vanity' project going?
Running it on water may add a bit of complication, have you sorted out the boat/prop design - a mini-hydroplane?
What fuel do you plan on using? Those 4-strokes are kinda lazy unless spinning real fast , or boosted up..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

MadMatt
MadMatt

I like your approach, first 2D and then 3D. You explained it well, sometimes 3D parts are just impossible/too expensive to make. This is where the difference between stylists and designers sits! Fair play.
Last edited by MadMatt on 28 Oct 2014, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

smellybeard
smellybeard

MadMatt wrote:I like your approach, first 2D and then 3D. You explained it well, sometimes 3D parts are just impossible/too expensive to make. This is where the difference between stylists and designers sits! Fait play.
I work in Solidworks quite a lot and find to-ing and fro-ing to paper and pencil very useful. I'm currently playing with a replacement side-valve head for the ultimate BSA M20. It's a just a bit too big for my 3D printer to do mock-ups or patterns, though.