VW Enters.................

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: VW Enters.................

SidSidney wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:You really think Audi is going to pull out because Tom Kristensen is retiring? :lol:
Actually the opposite - Kristensen retires because he knows Audi is exiting.

I would have used that argument but TK is 47

Anyway let us see if there is a new R18 in the works

Töm87
Töm87

Well Audi leaving was crystal clear ever since Porsche was announced to come back, this was a no brainer in my opinion.
Why would they race each other, doesn't make any sense what so ever.

GitanesBlondes

SidSidney wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:You really think Audi is going to pull out because Tom Kristensen is retiring? :lol:
Actually the opposite - Kristensen retires because he knows Audi is exiting.
More like because he is 47 years old, and finding that inner motivation to push yourself to that high level becomes more and more difficult.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

GitanesBlondes

Töm87 wrote:Well Audi leaving was crystal clear ever since Porsche was announced to come back, this was a no brainer in my opinion.
Has to do with internal competition.

It's good for the employees.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

wesley123
wesley123

GitanesBlondes wrote:
Töm87 wrote:Well Audi leaving was crystal clear ever since Porsche was announced to come back, this was a no brainer in my opinion.
Has to do with internal competition.

It's good for the employees.
Can't confirm it but I remember reading it somewhere that Porsche's entry was a commitment from Porsche itself rather than Volkswagen AG.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

adrianjordan

Anyone catch the BBC F1 Forum after yesterday's race?

Eddie Jordan claims that Ross Brawn will be spearheading an Audi F1 entry in 2017 if the rules are right...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:Anyone catch the BBC F1 Forum after yesterday's race?

Eddie Jordan claims that Ross Brawn will be spearheading an Audi F1 entry in 2017 if the rules are right...
With Domenicali and Alonso :mrgreen:

this will be milked out so long :lol:

Regardless, i'm still not unconvinced Audi will not enter F1 in the near future. If they can market it, they'll jump in straight away. And they'll need guaranteed success to market it. Thats why imho they haven't entered before; they have a high demand [for themselves]. I think we're facing a situation where suddenly the ingredients are at play for Audi to have the actual possibility to meet their demands - so that's why i'm actually expecting them to enter in the near future - and they'll do it BIG.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

dobbster71

WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!
Juha Kankkunen

FoxHound

Audi lives by quattro. Not sure this has been mentioned before. From my recollection every RS Audi is 4 wheel driven, they go to town with marketing on that basis.

F1 really does not fill that criteria unless Audi have a shift in their marketing stratagem.

I personally think VW are waiting to see if Mateschitz has had enough of F1 for them to complete a buyout of their operation. If that opportunity arises, I think we could see VW enter with a dual branded team similar to the lucky strike/555 cars of BAR, only both cars with their own colour scheme.

And they have brands to fill those places... Bugatti, Lamborghini and Bentley... possibly even Porsche.
JET set

Jolle
Jolle

FoxHound wrote:Audi lives by quattro. Not sure this has been mentioned before. From my recollection every RS Audi is 4 wheel driven, they go to town with marketing on that basis.

F1 really does not fill that criteria unless Audi have a shift in their marketing stratagem.

I personally think VW are waiting to see if Mateschitz has had enough of F1 for them to complete a buyout of their operation. If that opportunity arises, I think we could see VW enter with a dual branded team similar to the lucky strike/555 cars of BAR, only both cars with their own colour scheme.

And they have brands to fill those places... Bugatti, Lamborghini and Bentley... possibly even Porsche.
Well.... DTM isn't 4x4....

user001
user001

FoxHound

Jolle wrote:well.... DTM isn't 4x4....
No, it's German saloon car racing. Besides the fact Audi have historically been competing since the 80's, and silhouette Audi saloon body shells used for the series, the link here could not be clearer hence no need for quattro badging.

F1 is completely different.
JET set

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Why do Ferdinand Piech and Bernie Ecclestone hate each other?

Sebp

FoxHound wrote: No, it's German saloon car racing. Besides the fact Audi have historically been competing since the 80's, and silhouette Audi saloon body shells used for the series, the link here could not be clearer hence no need for quattro badging.
http://th05.deviantart.net/fs37/PRE/f/2 ... design.jpg

F1 is completely different.
For what it's worth, they switched back to rear wheel drive coupés in 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A5_DTM
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

FoxHound

Useful to know, thank you sebp.
JET set