Lecture (german): Electric auxiliary drives in F1 and LeMans

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dero
dero

Lecture (german): Electric auxiliary drives in F1 and LeMans

Hello.

I just came back from a Lecture where Electrical auxiliary drives in F1 and LeMans cars where discussed.
Unfortunately it was all in german. Nevertheless i am going to post the slides here.

Maybe someone finds them interessting.
Speaker was: Prof. Dr. Friedrich Indra, Vienna University of Technology, GM Global Powertrain Engineering, Rüsselsheim & Detroit
http://oberpeilsteiner.at/stefan/tmp/f1 ... LeMans.pdf

Last year i attended a similar event but my pictures were so bad that i decided not to release them.
But maybe they are of some use. This one is partially in english and much more technical.
Speaker was: Dr. Peter Schöggl, Head of Vehicle, Vice President Business Field Racing, Engineering & Technology Powertrain Systems AVL List GmbH, Graz - Austria
http://oberpeilsteiner.at/stefan/tmp/f1 ... lement.pdf
Cheers Stefan

PlatinumZealot

Re: Lecture (german): Electric auxiliary drives in F1 and Le

Pretty good information there. Wasn't so hard to understand at all! =D>
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sebp

One of the conclusions from the lecture in the first link is that F1 is supposed to be a driver's competition and not one for engineers. LMAO!

All in all very biased, sadly.
No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

Ciro Pabón

PlatinumZealot wrote:Pretty good information there. Wasn't so hard to understand at all! =D>
Sure.

I only had a little problem with the pronunciation of "Gewitchsahnenbung" but then I realized it sounds exactly like "Fahrzeuggewitch" (or is it like "Verschlechterung"?)

The important thing is not to confuse the imprecative tense with the extroversial adjunct after a first-person aternal sufusive.
Ciro

dero
dero

Sebp wrote:One of the conclusions from the lecture in the first link is that F1 is supposed to be a driver's competition and not one for engineers. LMAO!

I thought the exact same thing while attending ;-)
Maybe it helps to add that the speaker seemed to be about the same age as Mr. E. and on many occasions shared his opinions on new technology.

dero
dero

Ciro Pabón wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Pretty good information there. Wasn't so hard to understand at all! =D>
Sure.

I only had a little problem with the pronunciation of "Gewitchsahnenbung" but then I realized it sounds exactly like "Fahrzeuggewitch" (or is it like "Verschlechterung"?)
EDIT: after reading your comment a second time i now do sense some sarcasm :D

I'm glad that it is of any use to someone.

Gewichtsanhebung = weight raise
Fahrzeuggewicht = car weight
Verschlechterung = worsening.

Cheers Stefan

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Ciro: There's no witch in Gewicht, no need to panic!

Fromt the second pdf(page 30), we get that in 2013 the current F1 ICE engines were expected to have ~450kW or 612hp with a BSFC of 225g/kWh. The 2013 engine is listed with ~560kW(762hp) and a fuel consumption of ~275g/kWh at a max. flow rate of 155kg/h.

Page 35 tells that ~40kW of power are needed for the compressor.

And thanks to dero, of course.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

-Felix-
-Felix-

dero wrote:
Sebp wrote:One of the conclusions from the lecture in the first link is that F1 is supposed to be a driver's competition and not one for engineers. LMAO!

Maybe it helps to add that the speaker seemed to be about the same age as Mr. E. and on many occasions shared his opinions on new technology.
Well, as a very well known engineer of IC engines here in germany, what else would you expect his opinion to be :D
1971-1979 Chief of Development at BMW-Alpina
1979-1985 Chief of engine design at Audi
1985-1998 Chief of engine development at Opel

dero
dero

-Felix- wrote:
dero wrote:

Well, as a very well known engineer of IC engines here in germany, what else would you expect his opinion to be :D
I guess you are right. All i was hoping for was some open mindedness. I for one love to see these new technologies in F1 cars.
Overall of course he's basically right. If you remove the 150+ kg of weight introduced by this technology the resulting car would have no problem to beat the others. I think thats pretty much all the slides are saying, but it was the additional things he said at the speech that quite upset me. It just seems that he hates electricity ;-)

cheers Stefan