Mclaren Honda 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Mclaren Honda 2015

on the other hand, if they had a title sponsor which would invest a good amount of money, too - they'd have even the more budget to pump into the car design, aerodynamics, equipment, etc. etc. etc.

I hope they've learned from their Hamilton-era to not c*ck up good achievements with possible wins by really stupid errors like multiple times not correctly mounting the wheel nut. So many pit errors it was just horrible to watch, both for Hamilton and Jenson.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

RA168E
RA168E

Manoah2u wrote:on the other hand, if they had a title sponsor which would invest a good amount of money, too - they'd have even the more budget to pump into the car design, aerodynamics, equipment, etc. etc. etc.

I hope they've learned from their Hamilton-era to not c*ck up good achievements with possible wins by really stupid errors like multiple times not correctly mounting the wheel nut. So many pit errors it was just horrible to watch, both for Hamilton and Jenson.
The 2010 and 2012 seasons are difficult ones to swallow for me as a long time Hamilton and McLaren fan, They could have so easily been their years were it not for such stupid errors such as the pit stops and NOT looking at the prevailing weather conditions and using their Radar..

Sombrero
Sombrero

That Honda return make me think of Porsche's return with Footwork... Time will tell.

Postmoe

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

"Typical japanese"

I think 2015 cars are sufficiently complex on their own to avoid cultural clichés as a source of causality.

Chene_Mostert

Honda seems as unprepared as Renault was last year, lets just hope they can manage to salvage something like Renault did during 2014.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Mesteño

Chene_Mostert wrote:Honda seems as unprepared as Renault was last year, lets just hope they can manage to salvage something like Renault did during 2014.
Far better prepared than Renault imho, at least engine is not having problems. Electronics do.

They're not running full power though.

PlatinumZealot

Postmoe wrote:"Typical japanese"

I think 2015 cars are sufficiently complex on their own to avoid cultural clichés as a source of causality.
How is typically complex Japanese electronics a cultural cliche?? Did you see the cocaine jokes (by a moderator at that!) in the Lotus E23 thread? :roll: Haha now that is cultural stereotyping...

Read my post properly, then read the Ron Dennis quotes before you spout accusations like that. I have given a balanced post on the advantages and disadvantages of using additional boards. You seem to have a problem with that for some reason. Honda clearly have additional electronics on the car that they could just turn them off and continue testing but they chose not to.

I believe a formula 1 car has about forty(?) different electronics boxes - can someone confirm? But these are pretty standard stuff. A lot are off the shelf.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 02 Feb 2015, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Postmoe

PlatinumZealot wrote:

How is typically complex Japanese electronics a cultural cliche??.
Anything that is considered typical from a specific culture or country... is, will always be, a cliché.

So it may be that your post is very functional and balanced, but that sentence is in any case what it is.

Your main hypothesis is that the response to the issue (an issue we don't know, really) given by the team is typical japanese, I say the variables make it too complex a situation to imply that. You can be right about everything, you know, it's just that the process you followed to reach those conclusions will be flawed, thus it will not be knowledge at all.

Yes, I'm picky. Not seeking confrontation. Some are picky with aero, ya know. We're all technical.

Richard
Richard

PlatinumZealot wrote:I have given a balanced post on the advantages and disadvantages of using additional boards. ...Honda clearly have additional electronics on the car that they could just turn them off and continue testing but they chose not to.
Do we have any evidence that they have additional boards compared to other teams?

The systems problems in the Abu Dhabi test were attributed to the Mclaren systems. Since the team are saying the car can run without whatever box is causing the current problem then I'd guess the problem is in a box that is not essential for the PU, hence it'll be the Mclaren bits again?

PlatinumZealot

Postmoe wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

How is typically complex Japanese electronics a cultural cliche??.
Anything that is considered typical from a specific culture or country... is, will always be, a cliché.

So it may be that your post is very functional and balanced, but that sentence is in any case what it is.

Your main hypothesis is that the response to the issue (an issue we don't know, really) given by the team is typical japanese, I say the variables make it too complex a situation to imply that. You can be right about everything, you know, it's just that the process you followed to reach those conclusions will be flawed, thus it will not be knowledge at all.

Yes, I'm picky. Not seeking confrontation. Some are picky with aero, ya know. We're all technical.
I think the Japanese have a certain style of doing things different from a German, different from an Englishman, different from an American. Their systems can be complex as hell in most cases. Yes. Call me cliche if you like. After reading between the lines though, I feel Ron Dennis implied that the Honda people have additional control boards within the V of the engine. They have undisclosed additional technologies in there that these boards are monitoring (or even governing) and the sensors on them are having communication problems with the rest of Mclaren systems. Again, just my opinion.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Postmoe

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Postmoe wrote:

I think the Japanese have a certain style of doing things different from a German, different from an Englishman, different from an American. Their systems can be complex as hell in most cases. Yes. Call me cliche if you like. After reading between the lines though, I feel Ron Dennis implied that the Honda people have additional control boards within the V of the engine. They have undisclosed additional technologies in there that these boards are monitoring (or even governing) and the sensors on them are having communication problems with the rest of Mclaren systems. Again, just my opinion.
Just saying, those control boards are probably more typical F1 than typical japanese. That was, in the end, the main point for me.

And of course there are cultural traits, managerial styles and organizations that have their roots in key elements of specific cultures... but man, it takes years to only slightly isolate those things and to be able to say "yes, that is typical from X". It is way less obvious than it looks.

As I said, just being picky. I just thought that we needed to put things into context.

Kiril Varbanov

Apologies if posted anywhere before, but Honda already run the F1 site - http://www.hondaracingf1.com/ along with their Twitter account: https://twitter.com/HondaRacingF1/statu ... 3250070528

radosav
radosav

ERIC BOULLIER - Racing director, McLaren-Honda “Jenson’s final lap last night made us all feel happier, because we felt we’d cured the issues that had affected us on Sunday and Monday. This morning, it was a relief to see the car get out of the garage at 9am, and run without problems for several hours. “Fernando’s comments were very positive, too: he said the car was reacting well to changes, and felt stable. Operationally, we’ve already covered everything in our programme, but what’s even more positive is that we’ve been able to carry out a number of longer runs. They’ve shown us that the car doesn’t have any conceptual or architectural issues. “It’s good to see that the car is effectively able to run straight out of the box, without any major issues. That’s the most positive point of the day.”
So maybe Alonso was testing limits of car behavior through corners!

Marc.W

radosav wrote:ERIC BOULLIER - Racing director, McLaren-Honda “Jenson’s final lap last night made us all feel happier, because we felt we’d cured the issues that had affected us on Sunday and Monday. This morning, it was a relief to see the car get out of the garage at 9am, and run without problems for several hours. “Fernando’s comments were very positive, too: he said the car was reacting well to changes, and felt stable. Operationally, we’ve already covered everything in our programme, but what’s even more positive is that we’ve been able to carry out a number of longer runs. They’ve shown us that the car doesn’t have any conceptual or architectural issues. “It’s good to see that the car is effectively able to run straight out of the box, without any major issues. That’s the most positive point of the day.”
So maybe Alonso was testing limits of car behavior through corners!
It looked well balanced in those videos while not stuck to the ground, so something that could be very easy to get set up

lillschumi
lillschumi

I think it´s funny that that Mclaren draw references of the past with their collaboration with Honda as some kind of assurance of future success. Sort of neglecting the rather gloomy days of mid 2000 for Honda. What say they have picked-up the game since then?

Renault & Ferrari struggled with the new PU even though they had fresh F1 knowledge, by that i think Honda could have more of an issue getting terms with the problems.